• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was 2-2 a fair result?

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, whatever result it turned out to be, I call it fair...no one was sandpapering the ball or using their saliva.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
I think it was. Both sides showed moments of real quality, but there were plenty of average (and worse) moments from both. Neither can truly complain about the final outcome. As has been discussed ad nauseum, many of the tests could have had different outcomes, but they ended up how they did often because of some average (and worse) cricket.

ashley bach

International Captain
If you take the rain out of the equation, and England play inches better earlier in the series it's an easy 4-1 win.
Ancient history now but overall England were the better team and 2-2 seems flattering for the Aussies.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Australia were pretty much clinging on by the end but one side does that in the majority of draws. They're still just draws.

Goochies Lovechild

Cricket Spectator
England dropped too many catches in the first 3 tests, Oz slippers are far superior, although Crawley seemed to have put in some practice in the latter two tests.

No **** but catches win matches......

Regards,

Goochies Lovechild

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On the one hand I kinda feel like if you’re not willing to say 2-2 isn’t a fair result when one test was washed out on the brink of a dominant result, then you’ll never say it.

But then I also felt like England got the rub of the green apart from that, and the cricket was remarkably even from session to session. A draw does feel right.

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
It's funny, I can't recall more than maybe two sessions in the whole series where it felt like Australia dominated, whereas there must have been ten or more where England were miles on top. Yet even so a draw doesn't seem outrageously wrong.

Molehill

International Captain
Both teams let winning situations slip, England at Edgbaston, Australia at Leeds.

A draw is what it was. England were the better team by the end, but I suspect Australia playing the WTC first may have left its mark by then.

Goochies Lovechild

Cricket Spectator
It's funny, I can't recall more than maybe two sessions in the whole series where it felt like Australia dominated, whereas there must have been ten or more where England were miles on top. Yet even so a draw doesn't seem outrageously wrong.
Yeah, I agree, we (England) won a lot of sessions, however during these sessions we dropped catches at a rather disappointingly reliable rate.
The weather at Manchester, (when we had learned (almost) how to catch) was a shame but unfortunately part of the game!

Regards,

GL

Molehill

International Captain
We lost a couple of sessions really badly though which decided Tests. Notably that 3rd morning at Lord's, 278-4 to 320 all out.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Fair enough I guess. Think England came back and ended up better cause they had better replacements guys like Mooen, Woakes, Wood, Tongue etc. while I thought some the Aussie bowlers were on their last legs.