• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stumped!

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My 21 skill ‘superstar’ bowler can make things happen. Just an over in the middle overs magic happens.
I’m less of an analyst* when it comes to this game. I go on feelings.

*- (but I have to admit that I have an excel spreadsheet with my matches and pitch conditions)

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mooo v GG currently

Moooo we’re struggling and then for some reasons they revived well and batted through.

Stumped really need to up their game with Test matches,

IMG_3221.jpeg

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've actually had the privilege of 'looking under the hood' in terms of the code (Rob once shared it with me) and I can honestly say that, from what I've seen, the game legit calculates every ball as an individual event.

The 'convergence theorem' I referred to earlier is a phenomenon trundler, and several other posters here, have noticed in RL cricket - particularly ODIs. Team scores generally tend to converge to a 'normal' looking score, whether that is slowing down/losing clumps of wicket after a good start, or recovering from a poor one. Start watching ODIs with this perspective and you'll see it happen all the time too.

We overplay the gap in skills sometime. A 43 bowler doesn't always bowl like a 43 bowler. In some conditions and situations they'll deliver performances like a 55 bowler, in other cases like a 31 bowler. Najmul Hossain Shanto - with a career average of 24 - just hit an excellent 89 vs a top quality SL team today, while Shakib scored 5 and Mushy scored 13. That doesn't mean the IRL ODI match engine is broken. Cricket just works this way sometimes. Every single ODI ever played will have something odd in it. Nature of the sport.
I will have to trust you on the looking under the hood... The observations on RL cricket is my point, it feels like the game engine is designed to mimic real life cricket first, regardless of anything else. If they managed to do that by creating a single ball by ball action engine that does not look at any other factors but what is going on between that bowler and that batsmen, that is brilliant coding and mathematics.

As to your point regards Shanto... that is why I made the point, that people will say that happens in real life cricket. But if you watch RL cricket you find what Shanto produced is exceptional not the norm. i.e. it may happen 1 in every 20 games in RL cricket. Whereas your best players tend to contribute on a consistent basis. The exceptional turn of events in stumped is common i.e. a low or poorer player ability pulling out an unexpected high performance is an often occurring theme. Far more than 1 in 20, for me, more like half the games (even if it does not always result in a win). But the overall scoring compares to that of RL cricket... hence my speculation that the game engine was also built towards this goal along with the ball by ball action.

As I said this is just an opinion, based on my experience which I know will have its own bias looking towards certain events and effects in stumped. I have not done an in depth analytical study... maybe if I ever get bored enough at work!

ataraxia

International Coach
And it keeps going up… maybe he was worth keeping :laugh:

Three wins in my last four SOD games though :shock: Could we do it?
Good luck with 1.1 – seem to be doing well.

Khokhar I ignored the first time of asking as not the sort of player I'm looking for, but on reflection he's actually really good. Has it all: good enough batting skewed to attack, good enough bowling, very good stamina, very good fielding + bullet arm, and is a leftie. Also a little surprised Macingwane isn't going for double-digits.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also, appreciate the good luck but I’m not sure about ‘well’. We’re still bottom three, bottom of EXPreview by a long way and only one bowler has taken 10 wickets in 8 games :laugh:

We’re annoyingly staying in the fight just enough to prevent me from tanking the season in the name of IGT

ataraxia

International Coach
Also, appreciate the good luck but I’m not sure about ‘well’. We’re still bottom three, bottom of EXPreview by a long way and only one bowler has taken 10 wickets in 8 games :laugh:

We’re annoyingly staying in the fight just enough to prevent me from tanking the season in the name of IGT
At least you're third bottom! Better than expected...

cnerd123

likes this
As to your point regards Shanto... that is why I made the point, that people will say that happens in real life cricket. But if you watch RL cricket you find what Shanto produced is exceptional not the norm. i.e. it may happen 1 in every 20 games in RL cricket. Whereas your best players tend to contribute on a consistent basis. The exceptional turn of events in stumped is common i.e. a low or poorer player ability pulling out an unexpected high performance is an often occurring theme. Far more than 1 in 20, for me, more like half the games (even if it does not always result in a win).
I think the overall career stats of players goes a long way to dispelling this. I've never had a low skill players outperform a higher skill one over a career, unless I had them in the perfect role while grossly misusing the better player

ZCC throw away another winnable game in Div 1 today :( batting and bowling both won't fire at the same time

cnerd123

likes this
Spoke to soon. What an innings by Samra!

We're still dead last - 10 points behind 5th place with 6 games in hand. Going to take one hell of a streak to close that gap.

ataraxia

International Coach
Comfortably dealt with by ZCC. Mncwabe hundy the only thing that brought us to a nearly competitive total in the first place. Then a Samra century and Nauman 72* meant ZCC won with overs to spare.

cnerd123

likes this
A clear gap is now forming between the two halves of the CWC9 points table. Well done to @ataraxia , @JOJOXI and @Jarquis for getting both franchises into the Top 8! The future is looking bright.

Competition is fierce in the Top 3 - AXW lead the pack with 68 points, with both Winton and Charminster tied in 2nd with 67 points each! TNT, with 4 points, are not too far behind.

What do the KO stages look like again?

JOJOXI

International Captain
Confirmation that format is one group of 16 double-round robin, 2 games a week

Top 2 = straight to semi-finals

3rd to 6th = into playoffs

Semi finals are

1st vs winner of 4th v 5th
2nd vs winner of 3rd v 6th

7th and 8th straight into plate semi-finals

9th to 12th = Plate playoffs

Plate semi finals are

7th vs winner of 10th v 11th
8th vs winner of 9th v 12th
@cnerd123

ataraxia

International Coach
A clear gap is now forming between the two halves of the CWC9 points table. Well done to @ataraxia , @JOJOXI and @Jarquis for getting both franchises into the Top 8! The future is looking bright.

Competition is fierce in the Top 3 - AXW lead the pack with 68 points, with both Winton and Charminster tied in 2nd with 67 points each! TNT, with 4 points, are not too far behind.

What do the KO stages look like again?
AX–W are on a winning streak of 6 – finally doing well in a CWC! – especially to thwart the feeling that the recent exodus of tons of 22yos will really harm the side. Still, Hurst and Picton, two of the best senior let alone Dev players, are about to age out. So I think we'll be passed and probably end up about 4th.

AXI, on the other hand, their 6 losses have been in the past 7 games. Really struggling with the absence of cheat codes Zahid, Butler, and Kaiser. Very unlikely to finish in the top 6.

ataraxia

International Coach
Despite Li's 69 (56), FHK all out for 183. Good bowling performance – should be a fairly simple chase. Daly's BQ getting iffy but still has that excellent wicket-taking knack most of the time (in friendly and competitive SODs for AXI his WPM is amazingly 2.44). Couple more weeks for him I think.