• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

number11

State Regular

Boycott
Gooch
Gower
Root
Thorpe
Stewart 🥊
Botham
Flintoff
Underwood
Willis
Anderson.

An England 2nd XI from 1970 to now: [to play Baz's side].

Cook *
Atherton
Bell
Vaughan
KP
Stokes
Knott +
Swann
Gough
Broad
Fraser

The talent tails off quickly. Few tough misses - but it reflects somewhat my fave players as Baz took all the locks. Had to bat a few guys out of position to include them.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
An England 2nd XI from 1970 to now: [to play Baz's side].

Cook *
Atherton
Bell
Vaughan
KP
Stokes
Knott +
Swann
Gough
Broad
Fraser

The talent tails off quickly. Few tough misses - but it reflects somewhat my fave players as Baz took all the locks. Had to bat a few guys out of position to include them.
Vaughan and Pietersen might put on a quick 200-run partnership batting first and Swann will be a pest near the end.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
It was tough to leave out Harmison and even Caddick. Broad and Gough pick themselves and Angus was always a favourite of mine.
Caddick was like a poor man's Walsh. Lethal in the second innings when pitches became less one-paced. I prefer Hoggard to Harmison.

number11

State Regular
Caddick was like a poor man's Walsh. Lethal in the second innings when pitches became less one-paced. I prefer Hoggard to Harmison.
Harmison's extra pace and bounce made him lethal when it all came together. Lethal in a way Hoggy couldn't be [in my estimation]. Both served the team well. Might even try to get Nas into the 2nd XI. Can't buy grit and he had that.

ataraxia

International Coach
Timeless tests have to be accounted for in these discussions. Think Hammond's scoring rate is quick enough outside of timeless tests. Hobbs was rapid pre War too.
And also we should stop using as a basis this era which is way out of line with most, over rate being very low and scoring rates very high. It makes sense that an all-time team would play in conditions that reflect the mean conditions across history – i.e., likely 4–5 days, 100–105 overs a day, where 2.5 RPO is the norm. Doesn't add up to assume that playing players from eras with low scoring rates would happen without an equivalent increase in over rate.

Hobbs /
Sutcliffe /
Hutton* /
Hammond / o
Root /
Compton /
Knott + /
Verity o
Trueman o
Statham o
Anderson o

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
One of the sections I can never 100% decide on is the 'keeper for Pakistan's all time XI. I perpetually alternate between several options without a clear winner ever emerging.

number11

State Regular
One of the sections I can never 100% decide on is the 'keeper for Pakistan's all time XI. I perpetually alternate between several options without a clear winner ever emerging.
Yes, Pakistan doesn't have an obvious choice. Bari is the best keeper but you need some batting from the role. I'd opt for Moin Khan. Decent keeper, and very useful batsman. IIRC he has a fair few test tons and averages about 30.

number11

State Regular
An AT Test XI for Pakistan.

Anwar
Mohammed
Younis Khan
Javed Miandad
Inzamam
Khan *
Moin Khan +
Akram
Waqar
Saqlain
Akhtar

That is a power packed side. One could drop a bowler for another bat but you need 5 bowlers. In the 2nd scenario I'd drop Akhtar and play Mohammed Yusuf - batting at 6.

In that case 3-6 all average 50 + which is incredible. However, the team then lacks a [meaningful] 5th bowler.

smash84

The Tiger King
An AT Test XI for Pakistan.

Anwar
Mohammed
Younis Khan
Javed Miandad
Inzamam
Khan *
Moin Khan +
Akram
Waqar
Saqlain
Akhtar

That is a power packed side. One could drop a bowler for another bat but you need 5 bowlers. In the 2nd scenario I'd drop Akhtar and play Mohammed Yusuf - batting at 6.

In that case 3-6 all average 50 + which is incredible. However, the team then lacks a [meaningful] 5th bowler.
This side is thin on the batting. I'd agree and drop akhtar for Yousuf. Rashid Latif is a significantly better keeper and a marginally worse batsman than Moin.

Hanif
Anwar
Younis
Miandad
Inzamam
Yousuf
Rashid Latif (wk)
Imran
Wasim
Waqar
Saqlain

number11

State Regular
An alternative XI [with added flexibility].

Anwar
Mohammed +
Y. Khan
Miandad
Inzamam
Khan *
Mushtaq Mohammed
Asif Iqbal
Akram
Waqar
Qadir

Hanif keeps [he did for a time]. 6 bowling options with Mushtaq and Asif. More depth in batting but less quality in comparison. In time I assume Azam will enter the Pakistani pantheon.

number11

State Regular
This side is thin on the batting. I'd agree and drop akhtar for Yousuf. Rashid Latif is a significantly better keeper and a marginally worse batsman than Moin.

Hanif
Anwar
Younis
Miandad
Inzamam
Yousuf
Rashid Latif (wk)
Imran
Wasim
Waqar
Saqlain
The only concern is no [decent] 5th bowler. Miandad and Younis Khan world be the fill in bowlers.

I always thought Moin was a much tougher cricketer than Rashid. And his batting seemed much more assured for me. But to each his own.

Could Sarfraz or Rizwan come in already?

smash84

The Tiger King
The only concern is no [decent] 5th bowler. Miandad and Younis Khan world be the fill in bowlers.

I always thought Moin was a much tougher cricketer than Rashid. And his batting seemed much more assured for me. But to each his own.

Could Sarfraz or Rizwan come in already?
Sarfaraz at least is not that good a keeper. Rizwan could be a great addition to the side if he can cement his place but he seems to be the wk of choice in LO but not in tests for some reason. He has been solid so far as wk is concerned.