• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

kyear2

International Coach
ENG ATXI

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton*
Hammond
Root
Barrington
Botham
Knott+
Trueman
Anderson
Barnes

Probably the XI I’m least certain of rn… unsure if I have enough bowling and ya know Barnes is tricky to define. If I were to add another bowler I’d take out Root. Have to give the new ball to Barnes and Trueman otherwise Barnes will sulk.
There is absolutely no way that this team wins a test in 5 days. You have one batsman even approaching a strike rate of 50, left. Our KP to plan a stone waller opener and play another out of position.
None of the bowlers inspire confidence outside of England, and quite frankly at this level only one does at all. And Root is apparently the primary spinner.

Coronis

International Coach
There is absolutely no way that this team wins a test in 5 days. You have one batsman even approaching a strike rate of 50, left. Our KP to plan a stone waller opener and play another out of position.
None of the bowlers inspire confidence outside of England, and quite frankly at this level only one does at all. And Root is apparently the primary spinner.
Actually there are two (Hobbs, Root). Sure you can add KP and he’ll score significantly less runs a bit quicker, thats your prerogative. Barnes inspires confidence outside England but hey, is it my fault most English bowlers suck away from home? Its not like theres a huge list of options. Like I said, Barnes is hard to classify as a pacer or spinner and if I were to take a batter away it would likely be for a spinner.

Coronis

International Coach
Also maybe if we got teams to stop acting like ****wits and bowlers to stop bowling slowly like dickheads we’d actually get through 90+ overs a day and get more results.

Patience and Accuracy+Gut

State Vice-Captain
England’s ATG Xi

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton*
Root
Hammond
Barrington
Knott+
Larwood
Laker
Trueman
Barnes

Hammond at no.5 as I think he was good enough to bat lot quicker compared to what he did.Really strong guy,in modern era with modern bats, should play at lot quicker rate.Tbh can play 6 indeed with Barrington at no.5. Pietersen is a huge downgrade on Barrington imho.

Last edited:

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Compton is like Warner levels of bad outside England tho. Think he’s quite overrated.
Yeah he is overrated. And also you make a good point about SR. He always seems to be well below 50 when there's ball tracking for a test innings he played. Dexter has a better away record but he has poor longevity and played in a batting era. Hammond and Root 4/5 is fine for tempo balance anyway. Botham at 6 too.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Timeless tests have to be accounted for in these discussions. Think Hammond's scoring rate is quick enough outside of timeless tests. Hobbs was rapid pre War too.

Bitmap

State Vice-Captain
Hobbs
Hutton*
Barrington
Hammond
Root
Botham
Knott+
Verity
Trueman
Barnes
Anderson

Sutcliffe
Boycott
May*
Pietersen
Compton
Stokes
Ames+
Larwood
Laker
Statham
Snow

number11

State Regular
An England XI from 1970 to now [modern day] would be interesting, but for now, I'd like to move this towards possible AT 2nd XIs for each of the major teams.

It speaks to depth of great talent which is very relevant here. Will post a few teams after work.

number11

State Regular
[Ok, work is boring RN]. :D

WI 1st XI would be:

Greenidge, Haynes, Viv *, Lara, Headley, Sobers, Dujon +, Marshall, Ambrose, Holding, Roberts

So a 2nd XI:

Hunte, Gayle, Walcott, Weeks, Worrell, Lloyd *, Murray +, Croft, Garner, Gibbs, Walsh

Astonishing really. Even a 3rd XI would be incredible.