• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

shortpitched713

International Captain
This is ridiculously stupid. It has nothing much to do with consistency. The reason his average didn't drop below 50 is because he had some high scoring tests in the very beginning of his career and his bad patches came a few tests later, so he had enough of a buffer because of the early big matches.

If you just switched up the order of tests and put his low scoring test matches in the beginning of his career he wouldnt possess this worthless stat despite there being no difference in his consistency.
I like Miandad because of my own bias. I will admit it. He was a leader (almost as great as Imran in that respect), a fighter, and did a lot of not ***y work for Pakistan, and was exactly what we needed complementing the strengths of the team. Although he is also an ATG bat.

Thing with Sachin is people pretend the lackluster later patches of career don't count as "Sachin", just because he has so much volume ( his lackluster patches are also hidden very nicely, due to them being in the flat pitch era, mostly). I think they do, same as lackluster patches for every other player is counted as them, and held against them.

There's a lot of "mystique" about Sachin, and rightly so. But CW is a place where players with mystique are analyzed, criticized, debated, etc and eventually through time and that process some mystique is exposed (Lilee most prominently), and some is reaffirmed as being the real deal ( Viv Richards I'd say mostly, probably Warne will be too. I'm just contributing to the process with Sachin, as he's not above criticism.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Miandad was a home track bully who played with his legs just as much as his bat, thanks to patriotic home town umpires. He would hardly be given out LBW at home on lower bouncing pitches (ideal for LBW), whereas away he would get found out..

IMG_5907.jpeg

His away record against top teams partly reflects his true skill, averaging 33 in West Indies and 38 in Australia, and the lack of hundreds tells a story too.

So quit your agenda shortpitched! It's been going on for too long now. Miandad is not even fit to tie the shoelaces of true ATG batsmen, especially Tendulkar's. They are a league apart. Even Younis Khan > Miandad.

And you need to cut it about people ignoring Tendulkar's last 2 years, those years are totally included and reflected in his overall stats for all to see, yet he still manages to hold great averages all around despite the slumps! Thats true greatness. Miandad doesn't come close. Any neutral who watched Miandad bat knows his truth and he will get brutally exposed the more you continue with your agenda.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Against the best team of his era..
Vs West Indies, he is averaging a mere '29' from 16 Tests.

Sorry to say but I find it hard to consider someone an ATG if they have a record like that against the best team.

IMG_5908.jpeg

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Miandad was a home track bully who played with his legs just as much as his bat, thanks to patriotic home town umpires. He would hardly be given out LBW at home on lower bouncing pitches, whereas away he would get found out..

View attachment 36996

His away record against top teams partly reflects his true skill, averaging 33 in West Indies and 38 in Australia, and the lack of hundreds tells a story too.
Yeah the home umpires thing is legit but many great bats have similar home away split.

Also Australia wasn't a top team during his career. It was WI- Pak-NZ.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Miandad was a home track bully who played with his legs just as much as his bat, thanks to patriotic home town umpires. He would hardly be given out LBW at home on lower bouncing pitches (ideal for LBW), whereas away he would get found out..

View attachment 36996

So quit your agenda shortpitched! It's been going on for too long now. Miandad is not even fit to tie the shoelaces of true ATG batsmen, especially Tendulkar's. They are a league apart. Even Younis Khan > Miandad.

And you need to cut it about people ignoring Tendulkar's last 2 years, those years are totally included and reflected in his overall stats for all to see, yet he still manages to hold great averages all around despite the slumps! Thats true greatness. Miandad doesn't come close. Any neutral who watched Miandad bat knows his truth and he will get brutally exposed the more you continue with your agenda.
Also Younis > Miandad is the dumbest take especially if you have problem with Miandad away record. Younis away record is similar if you take about his runs against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah the home umpires thing is legit but many great bats have similar home away split.

Also Australia wasn't a top team during his career. It was WI- Pak-NZ.
Australia was one of the top teams for more than half his career. Mid 1980s they were not but both before that and after that, they were.

IMG_5909.jpeg

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Also Younis > Miandad is the dumbest take especially if you have problem with Miandad away record. Younis away record is similar if you take about his runs against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.
Hard to rate someone who was seldom given out LBW at home. Miandad's career average would be like <48 if neutral umpires existed. So he wouldn't even be in this thread (no atg) while Younis Khan is 'sometimes' rated on par with someone like Dravid.

Coronis

International Coach
Hmm - thinking about an XI of players who were ATGs in first class - but either failed at tests/only played limited matches.

Off the top of my head theres blokes like Richards and Procter, Bevan and Ramprakash, hell even WG Grace.

Probs do some research on this after work tonight..

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm - thinking about an XI of players who were ATGs in first class - but either failed at tests/only played limited matches.

Off the top of my head theres blokes like Richards and Procter, Bevan and Ramprakash, hell even WG Grace.

Ranji if you're counting Grace. Ken Higgs and Tich Freeman would have to be part of the bowling attack.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year

George Hirst - an absolute colossus at FC level, but with a very ordinary Test record.