• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Be a Moeen Ali style exit from retirement i presume…tournament and then done again

Wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t play white ball for England at all after the WC

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He is not fit, let him rest for Tests, not sure him hobbling around in the field will be the filip some expect.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I always thought Stokes would play in the WC until after The Ashes when he was adamant he would rest up until the India series.

But even if he just bats, he's a big addition to any team.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stokes was never going to sit at home and twiddle his thumbs while his teammates were at the WC. It just wasn't going to happen. What he's done, however, is taken the spot of someone who actually participated in the preceding ODI cycle and was led to believe he'll play at the WC. Does Stokes improve England's side? Probably, but then he should be part of the prep too. The way I see it, he's avoided playing JAMODIs and then pulled rank to be included in the final squad.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Stokes was never going to sit at home and twiddle his thumbs while his teammates were at the WC. It just wasn't going to happen. What he's done, however, is taken the spot of someone who actually participated in the preceding ODI cycle and was led to believe he'll play at the WC. Does Stokes improve England's side? Probably, but then he should be part of the prep too. The way I see it, he's avoided playing JAMODIs and then pulled rank to be included in the final squad.
Nothing wrong with this, IMO. The point of the JAMODI's that far out from the WC should be to experiment with depth options. England have tried a few #4's and none of them filled Morgan's boots their, so stokes slots in just fine at 4, even if he can't bowl. If brook/salt had made runs their they'de have blocked stokes out of the team ideally, but they didn't.

trundler

Nothing wrong with this, IMO. The point of the JAMODI's that far out from the WC should be to experiment with depth options. England have tried a few #4's and none of them filled Morgan's boots their, so stokes slots in just fine at 4, even if he can't bowl. If brook/salt had made runs their they'de have blocked stokes out of the team ideally, but they didn't.
Then he should never have retired in the first place. He wouldn't have played those ODIs in BD anyway because he was playing the test series in NZ but I really do not like players unretiring and coming straight back into the team.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Then he should never have retired in the first place. He wouldn't have played those ODIs in BD anyway because he was playing the test series in NZ but I really do not like players unretiring and coming straight back into the team.
I agree with you on the last bit, I'm running on the assumption that stokes wouldn't have walked back in/unretired if England had salt/brook/anyone make enough runs to take the #4 spot. England have buttler, Livingstone, an inform moeen and a bunch of Sam curran/woakes/willey style bowling allrounders to fill the #5 and below engine room without stokes.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well first of all it hasn’t happened yet and isn’t definite. Secondly, all indications are he’s been coaxed out which for me makes the situation different. They don’t ask him if they’re happy with everyone who’s there now.

He also competed in three years of the ODI cycle anyway so it’s not like he retired back in 2019.

Is it really all that different from when we brought Archer in? Yeah I feel some sympathy for whoever misses out, but this is elite sport. It’s not about being fair and having your turn. It’s about winning and having your best players on the park.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I agree with you on the last bit, I'm running on the assumption that stokes wouldn't have walked back in/unretired if England had salt/brook/anyone make enough runs to take the #4 spot. England have buttler, Livingstone, an inform moeen and a bunch of Sam curran/woakes/willey style bowling allrounders to fill the #5 and below engine room without stokes.
Shut up arsehole

:ph34r:

welcome back bitch

trundler

Well first of all it hasn’t happened yet and isn’t definite. Secondly, all indications are he’s been coaxed out which for me makes the situation different. They don’t ask him if they’re happy with everyone who’s there now.

He also competed in three years of the ODI cycle anyway so it’s not like he retired back in 2019.

Is it really all that different from when we brought Archer in? Yeah I feel some sympathy for whoever misses out, but this is elite sport. It’s not about being fair and having your turn. It’s about winning and having your best players on the park.
Yeah I'd say differently if he's been coaxed out of it but to me the possibility of Stokes not playing in the WC was always remote. It just wasn't going to happen. Flip flopping like this is just a bit of a dick move imo. Maybe I'm just cynical.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah I'd say differently if he's been coaxed out of it but to me the possibility of Stokes not playing in the WC was always remote. It just wasn't going to happen. Flip flopping like this is just a bit of a dick move imo. Maybe I'm just cynical.
That’s my reading of the situation but I guess we won’t know the full details. I do think when he retired he meant it though.

Btw the worst thing about this whole ‘will he won’t he’ saga is how quickly they’ve killed the meme of Jos Buttler texting him saying ‘World Cup?’ and Stokes replying ‘Lol’

It’s every third post on social media and it was only half a smile worth of funny to begin with. Down with these posts!