• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
May and Barrington would probably both make my next team. Boycott too. I've picked a batting allrounder in every eleven so far but might struggle to find one worthy of the next team. Maybe Monty Noble?

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
May and Barrington would probably both make my next team. Boycott too. I've picked a batting allrounder in every eleven so far but might struggle to find one worthy of the next team. Maybe Monty Noble?
You had Kallis in the second XI so Macartney and Worrell are due an entry. Maybe Dexter.

Coronis

International Coach
Maybe you need to find other hobbies if Compton in the third eleven pisses you off. 😉

What's your gripe with him anyway?
His pathetic away record - I understand the knee injury he had trouble with prior to the 50/51 Ashes and I’m sure there are certain factors at play but still.

Pre injury
2284 @ 63.44 10 tons 8 fifties (home)
903 @ 50.16 3 tons 4 fifties (away)

Post injury
1679 @ 55.96 3 tons 10 fifties (home)
941 @ 29.40 1 ton 6 fifties (away)

Even after his injury he was still able to put in high quality performances regularly at home but not away. I don’t have that much of a problem with him tbh I just feel he’s a bit overrated - usually see him ranked around 20ish for GOAT batsman whereas I feel he probably deserves to be about 30ish.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
How far away would Walcott and Weekes be?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How far away would Walcott and Weekes be?
Next couple of sides. Walcott would have made the third eleven if I could be confident in his keeping but I thought that was a bit of a cheat and I should wait until he made it as a bat. Flower and de Villiers in similar boats but I saw them keep and already know I don't trust it.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Next couple of sides. Walcott would have made the third eleven if I could be confident in his keeping but I thought that was a bit of a cheat and I should wait until he made it as a bat. Flower and de Villiers in similar boats but I saw them keep and already know I don't trust it.
I don't agree with putting Flower and de Villiers in the same class as keepers. I thought ABdV was quite a good keeper.

Crazy take but I think he was as good or even better than Boucher. But then I didn't rate Boucher much

kyear2

International Coach
Sir Leonard Hutton
Sunil Gavaskar ^
Sir Donald Bradman *
Sir I. V. A. Richards ^
Sachin Tendulkar
Sir Garfield Sobers ^ (5)
Adam Gilchrist +
Sir Richard Hadlee (2)
Malcom Marshall (1)
Shane Warne (4)
Dale Steyn (3)

Not terribly thrilled about the openers, would really prefer someone more aggressive assertive at the top, but top tier openers are as sparse and hard to find as spinners. And of course it's controversial to select who would have perhaps been the greatest of them all.

Speaking of spinners, the second toughest decision was between Warne and Murali and Warne got the nod because he would have his battery mate with him, that would be an advantage.

The only other tough decision really would have been Hadlee over McGrath and that came down to my 2nd and either 3rd or 4th ranked bowler and the difference was miniscule to afford the team a decent no 8 and allow for Steyn and his variety and aggression to be included.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Fourth XI because I'm bored:

Mitchell
Smith
Harvey
Pollock
Nourse
Faulkner
Ames
Pollock
Garner for his batting
Laker
Walsh

It amuses me how many Saffas I ended up picking there.

Fifth:

Worrell
Hanif
Ponting
Younis
Miandad
Richards
Watling
Benaud
Lindwall
Donald
Waqar
Love that Darryl Mitchell is finally considered in atg teams.Love that guy and he has been a great performer for nz cricket in recent years. Deserves to be there in that fourth team. Can have him at 5 instead of opening though.

kyear2

International Coach
Not taking into account bating. Which do you guys believe is the better attack?

Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
Steyn

Or

Imran
Marshall
Warne
McGrath

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Not taking into account bating. Which do you guys believe is the better attack?

Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
Steyn

Or

Imran
Marshall
Warne
McGrath
It's pretty even but Imran will likely be more effective in Asian conditions. One also gets a feeling Imran adds more to the variety in bowling styles than Steyn.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
It's pretty even but Imran will likely be more effective in Asian conditions. One also gets a feeling Imran adds more to the variety in bowling styles than Steyn.
With respect, there are other countries outside of Asia worth considering and based on results, variety does not equal being more effective. Imran fwiw was more effective generally in Pakistan than Hadlee and Steyn but not in India.