• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You're Team Selector - post your team XI

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Carey at 5?
Maxwell is a floater in that lineup, but yeah I like Carey in the Latham role of working the spinners around in the middle overs (as long as we tell him he's not allowed to reverse more than once every three overs).

The alternative would be to drop Green, bat Hughes at 3 and Marsh at 5. But I'd start the way I posted it.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
1.Warner
2.Head
3.Smith
4.Green/inglis/marsh
5.Carey
6.Marsh/Hardie
7.Maxwell
8.Agar/Cummins/ellis
9.Starc
10.Zampa/sangha
11.Haze

Agar and Cummins to swap in based on conditions, Cummins is our 3rd best odi seamer, so haze and starc deserve to start. #4 Is a bit of a ****show, been saying for a year now that marnus shouldn't be playing there and that the selectors should be blooding green or Inglis in that spot. Green has runs at 4 in list-A for WA and Aus-A, so hopefully he starts. Marsh is a better ball striker and Whiteball bowler than green RN, so prefer the idea of him at #6 to the alternative.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Warner
2. Head *
3. Marsh
4. Smith
5. Carey +
6. Green
7. Maxwell
8. Agar
9. Starc
10. Zampa
11. Hazlewood

12. Hughes
13. Inglis
14. Cummins
15. Ellis

Stoinis will be there though and Cummins will be captain. Hughes zero chance of being selected.
Nah Smith should never move from 3, we made this same mistake last WC with usman/Smith.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Allen
Conway
Mitchell
Foxcroft
Latham (wk & c)
Chapman
Phillips
Santner
Henry/Milne
Boult
Ferguson

Otherwise Neesham for one of Foxcroft or Chapman and Sodhi at 9 for Henry/Milne

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

“Pakistan has a much more settled and stable outfit for the Asia Cup and World Cup when compared to India. The Indians have still not been able to work out their final combination for these major events,” Nawaz told the media in Lahore on Friday.

"Captains are changing, many new players are being tried out, there are no proper combinations. I feel instead of developing the Indian side it is being destroyed," he added.

Socerer 01

International Captain

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan do have a settled team but this narrative of India not having a team they want is so far fetched from the truth
Other than Pandya and Kohli, who is certainty based on form, experience and fitness? Even Kohli got back his form in last series after 3 years of dry spell. Rohit will play because he is captain, not because his form justifies it.

That's it. No one else is a lock.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Other than Pandya and Kohli, who is certainty based on form, experience and fitness? Even Kohli got back his form in last series after 3 years of dry spell. Rohit will play because he is captain, not because his form justifies it.

That's it. No one else is a lock.
Gill and Siraj are in the top 5 in icc rankings so is that good enough form for you? Kuldeep is in the top 10. if you don’t trust those rankings then Gill has the most runs for India since last year @ avg close to 70, Siraj has the most wickets @ avg close to 19 by same criteria and Kuldeep is the 3rd highest @ avg of 24. everyone ahead of Siraj in wickets taken has played qualifiers or is an associate. Gill is only 2nd to a UAE player overall. Rohit averages more than Kohli in that same time period with better sr and this year alone he averages 47. Shami, Jadeja and Chahal will get in on experience. Iyer and Rahul lack fitness but will likely recover too as with Bumrah. both those batsmen have had good knocks before they got injured

beyond these dudes Kishan, Samson, Thakur and Axar have all had some level of form. only SKY has been a real flop and maybe Malik

every team has issues like you point out, how many odis have Root and Bairstow played since the start of 2022? how many matches has Cummins been captain for? only Indian fans indulge in doomposting and gambhiring to the core though for some reason, if we start nitpicking other teams like we do with India every side will look unprepared or terrible

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pakistan's 'settled' team isn't proven long term anyway. Agha Salman, Naseem Shah and Iftikhar Ahmed have played 12 or fewer ODIs. It also remains to be seen whether Rizwan at 4 is going to work.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
Pakistan's 'settled' team isn't proven long term anyway. Agha Salman, Naseem Shah and Iftikhar Ahmed have played 12 or fewer ODIs. It also remains to be seen whether Rizwan at 4 is going to work.
What you say may well be somewhat concerning but despite that I reckon your boys will do sneakily well this year. Semi finals or better.

Socerer 01

International Captain
every team has cases like this and it shows how deprioritised odis have become in this cycle

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What you say may well be somewhat concerning but despite that I reckon your boys will do sneakily well this year. Semi finals or better.
I hope you're right. I have SA as the dark horse in this WC. They have a good bowling attack as well as a great mix of accumulators and aggressive batsman. I think they'll make the semis.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
@trundler

South Africa suck big time at world cups, if you're worried about them then your concerns are misplaced.
They've had much better players and teams before and I reckon they have sweet **** all chance of doing anything good this time around.
Even those minnow kiwi's have knocked them out of world cups more times than I can remember. Proper chokers.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Gill and Siraj are in the top 5 in icc rankings so is that good enough form for you? Kuldeep is in the top 10. if you don’t trust those rankings then Gill has the most runs for India since last year @ avg close to 70, Siraj has the most wickets @ avg close to 19 by same criteria and Kuldeep is the 3rd highest @ avg of 24. everyone ahead of Siraj in wickets taken has played qualifiers or is an associate. Gill is only 2nd to a UAE player overall. Rohit averages more than Kohli in that same time period with better sr and this year alone he averages 47. Shami, Jadeja and Chahal will get in on experience. Iyer and Rahul lack fitness but will likely recover too as with Bumrah. both those batsmen have had good knocks before they got injured

beyond these dudes Kishan, Samson, Thakur and Axar have all had some level of form. only SKY has been a real flop and maybe Malik

every team has issues like you point out, how many odis have Root and Bairstow played since the start of 2022? how many matches has Cummins been captain for? only Indian fans indulge in doomposting and gambhiring to the core though for some reason, if we start nitpicking other teams like we do with India every side will look unprepared or terrible
I mean I agree that there will eventually be a squad 🤷🏻

Siraj is definitely another one who is a certainty. I'm a bigger fan of Kuldeep than most here but I know that if he has a couple of bad games they will drop him without a 2nd thought, ditto Chahal. Ishan and Samson have done diddly squat to inspire any confidence. Gill's WI tour has been poor.

Even in 2019 when lack of #4 batsman was a meme, rest of the team practically picked itself. There's much more confusion this time.

PS. Gambhiring brings luck. It's been proven repeatedly in controlled lab experiments.

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean I agree that there will eventually be a squad 🤷🏻

Siraj is definitely another one who is a certainty. I'm a bigger fan of Kuldeep than most here but I know that if he has a couple of bad games they will drop him without a 2nd thought, ditto Chahal. Ishan and Samson have done diddly squat to inspire any confidence. Gill's WI tour has been poor.

Even in 2019 when lack of #4 batsman was a meme, rest of the team practically picked itself. There's much more confusion this time.

PS. Gambhiring brings luck. It's been proven repeatedly in controlled lab experiments.
The team right now practically picks itself too. There are only 2-3 slots that are open.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Rohit, Gill, Kohli, Iyer, Rahul, Kishan, Hardik, Bumrah, Siraj, Shami, Jadeja, Kuldeep. That is 12 fixed spots. Not sure why everyone are talking about uncertainly in the Indian squad selection.

Even the other 3 spare spots have clear contenders.

Third pacer - Thakur, Chahar, Mukesh, Unadkat
Third spinner - Axar, Chahal, Sundar
Spare batsman - Jaiswal, Tilak, SKY, Samson

Shri

Mr. Glass
Rohit, Gill, Kohli, Iyer, Rahul, Kishan, Hardik, Bumrah, Siraj, Shami, Jadeja, Kuldeep. That is 12 fixed spots. Not sure why everyone are talking about uncertainly in the Indian squad selection.

Even the other 3 spare spots have clear contenders.

Third pacer - Thakur, Chahar, Mukesh, Unadkat
Third spinner - Axar, Chahal, Sundar
Spare batsman - Jaiswal, Tilak, SKY, Samson
Shreyas and Rahul cannot just walk back into the side after a long injury break

SKY, Jaiswal and Tilak should come before them