• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Smith's peak is significantly more impressive than Ponting/Sanga etc. because of the circumstances he got many of those runs in, especially away from home. Even if he has a big decline I'm not willing to drop him out of the top tier of batsmen.
His home record is extremely poor though. :ph34r:

kyear2

International Coach
There's no joke. It's what I really think about player quality. I don't cowtow to the CW consensus.

That's one thing I appreciate about the lists of user @Pap Finn Keighl . Don't really agree that much. But it is his own, original opinion.
Don't think anyone expects you to cowtow to the consensus, but if there are some obvious discrepancies persons also have the right ,in an open forum mind you, to question it.

And let's be honest, while there is some agreement, there's far from a general consensus on anything on this forum.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hobbs
Hutton
Bradman
Tendulkar
Hammond
Sobers
Gilchrist+
Imran*
Marshall
Warne
McGrath

Sutcliffe
Gavaskar
Lara
Chappell
Kallis
Border*
Knott+
Davidson
Hadlee
Murali
Ambrose

Simpson*
Dravid
Sangakkara
Headley
Compton
Miller
Waite+
Wasim
Steyn
Barnes
O'Reilly

Didn't consider current players. Smith and Cummins decent shouts to feature somewhere when they're done.
Fourth XI because I'm bored:

Mitchell
Smith
Harvey
Pollock
Nourse
Faulkner
Ames
Pollock
Garner for his batting
Laker
Walsh

It amuses me how many Saffas I ended up picking there.

Fifth:

Worrell
Hanif
Ponting
Younis
Miandad
Richards
Watling
Benaud
Lindwall
Donald
Waqar

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year

Mitchell
Smith
Harvey
Pollock
Nourse
Faulkner
Ames
Pollock
Garner for his batting
Laker
Walsh

Fifth:

Worrell
Hanif
Ponting
Younis
Miandad
Richards
Watling
Benaud
Lindwall
Donald
Waqar
Really enjoying these, though it shows how difficult it is to narrow these selections down in that you're not picking 19th century players, blokes who due to circumstances played only a handful of Tests, and anyone still playing - and yet five XIs in there are still a bunch of players I'm surprised not to have seen and wondering how close they are to selection.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Really enjoying these, though it shows how difficult it is to narrow these selections down in that you're not picking 19th century players, blokes who due to circumstances played only a handful of Tests, and anyone still playing - and yet five XIs in there are still a bunch of players I'm surprised not to have seen and wondering how close they are to selection.
Tempted to keep going until I can pick Hoggard but not Lillee.

Coronis

International Coach

Mitchell
Smith
Harvey
Pollock
Nourse
Faulkner
Ames
Pollock
Garner for his batting
Laker
Walsh

Fifth:

Worrell
Hanif
Ponting
Younis
Miandad
Richards
Watling
Benaud
Lindwall
Donald
Waqar
Richards only in your 5th XI? You’re crazy. CRAZY!