• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You're Team Selector - post your team XI

Socerer 01

International Captain
for India

Sharma (c)
Gill
Kohli
Iyer
Rahul (k)
Pandya
Jadeja
Yadav
Siraj
Shami
Bumrah

light on batting at the end but the top 5 should make up for it

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
Potential line up for the defending Champs....

Roy
Bairstow
Root
Brook
Buttler
Livingstone
Moeen
Curran
Woakes
Wood
Rashid
Would prefer Malan in place of Roy I think, though maybe Roy is still first in line.

Bowling there looks a bit light, but so much harder to balance the side without Stokes. SCurran unlikely to bowl as well in a 50 over comp as he did in the World T20 win. Topley would strengthen the bowling a lot, but Livingstone at #6 is risky if there isn't a safety blanket of more ARs to follow.

Molehill

International Captain
Would prefer Malan in place of Roy I think, though maybe Roy is still first in line.

Bowling there looks a bit light, but so much harder to balance the side without Stokes. SCurran unlikely to bowl as well in a 50 over comp as he did in the World T20 win. Topley would strengthen the bowling a lot, but Livingstone at #6 is risky if there isn't a safety blanket of more ARs to follow.
Completely forgot about Malan, yeah tough choice for openers but a good problem to have. It's hard to know what the first choice team is because it's not been available since 2019. You could even drop Livingstone and pick another seamer if needed. Moeen 6, Curran 7, Woakes 8. Root takes 3rd choice spinning duty if needed, but 6 bowlers is a must at minimum.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd probably agree, hence why it wasn't my first choice. Just wondering how you get 4 seamers in there if needed and I think that's really the only way.
Don't see the need. It's in India. If anything you should be looking for a better third spinner than Livingstone though that's a bit overkill too.

Unrelated but Pakistan's team looks sorted. Top order is way too cakey. Think we have the worst powerplay run rate of any top 8 side since the last WC. Lots riding on Fakhar, Iftikhar and Agha who are the only guys capable of bombing sixes and even the first two get tied down not infrequently.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Rohit
Gill
Kishan
Kohli
Tilak
SKY
Hardik
Jaddu
Kuldeep
Shami/Siraj
Bumrah/Siraj

Last edited:

Silver Silva

International Regular
Sri Lanka

1.Pathum Nissanka
2.Dimuth Karunaratne
3.Kusal Mendis (WK)
4.Angelo Mathews
5.Charitha Asalanka
6.Dhananjaya De Silva (C)
7.Wanindu Hasaranga
8.Dunith Wellalage
9.Mahesh Theekshana
10.Dushmantha Chameera
11.Dilshan Madushanka

So if it was up to me , Dasun Shanaka would be out of the team cause he just doesn't pull his weight with bat and ball ..But that's unlikely to happen as he is captain and results under his leadership have been decent..

I'd recall Mathews cause his experience is vital , be nice for this to be his Swansong plus his medium pacers may be useful on these slow tracks ..

I've taken a punt on Dunith Wellalage ..
I just feel this youngster has an X factor about him , also nice to have legspinner , left arm Orthodox, Right arm Carrom Ball bowler , and a right arm Orthodox spin variety especially for the SENA teams.

Chameera is fit again and bowling good pace and Dilshan Madushanka is someone I rate highly maybe the best left arm swing prospect since Chaminda Vaas ..
I would also carry Chamika Karunaratne, Avishka Fernando , Lahiru Kumara and Nishan Madushka as the squad players .

Max D

Cricket Spectator
Do you think Shadab at 7 is enough batting depth? I think both Agha and Iftikhar should play.
Good question mate. Its a big conundrum that's for sure. Its about how we want the balance of team to be in supposed spin friendly pitches.

Do we want a team full of batting depth with some all-round spin thrown in or ability to run through teams with proper bowlers? Personally I feel its a bit disrespectful on past sides not to have a fully fledged frontline spinner. Plus I feel that its the right time to place that extra pressure on the top6 gun batters, and to a lesser extent Shadab too (its about time he had a top tourny). The top6 need to get at least 250 of the total leaving the rest to smash a few lusty blows at the back end. Which I feel that the top6 are well capable of.

Tbh I have a good feeling, the Pakistan lads Inshalla will be eager to put on a great display to show the Indians what they been missing out on.

Max D

Cricket Spectator
Imam-ul-Haq
Fakhar Zaman
Babar Azam
Mohammad Rizwan+
Agha Salman
Iftikhar Ahmed
Imad Wasim
Shadab Khan
Shaheen Shah Afridi
Naseem Shah
Haris Rauf

Imad Wasim isn't part of the Asia Cup squad so that horse has bolted. Nawaz will probably play as the second spinner but I'd rather have Saud Shakeel at 4 and drop everyone down one spot. Agha and Iftikhar can bowl 10 between them.
Not a bad line up that. Very similar to mine.only difference being you snuck in Iftikar/Agha instead of Mohammad Harris. Can I be so bold to ask your reasoning? Do you not rate Harris batting as high as others in that lineup? Or not the bowlers to to the job?

trundler

Good question mate. Its a big conundrum that's for sure. Its about how we want the balance of team to be in supposed spin friendly pitches.

Do we want a team full of batting depth with some all-round spin thrown in or ability to run through teams with proper bowlers? Personally I feel its a bit disrespectful on past sides not to have a fully fledged frontline spinner. Plus I feel that its the right time to place that extra pressure on the top6 gun batters, and to a lesser extent Shadab too (its about time he had a top tourny). The top6 need to get at least 250 of the total leaving the rest to smash a few lusty blows at the back end. Which I feel that the top6 are well capable of.

Tbh I have a good feeling, the Pakistan lads Inshalla will be eager to put on a great display to show the Indians what they been missing out on.
Not a bad line up that. Very similar to mine.only difference being you snuck in Iftikar/Agha instead of Mohammad Harris. Can I be so bold to ask your reasoning? Do you not rate Harris batting as high as others in that lineup? Or not the bowlers to to the job?
I rate Agha Salman's bowling. Think he can reliably bowl 6 overs. Imad Wasim is economical too. That's enough 5th bowling imo. I think Nawaz is a bit of a no rounder and I'd rather have a better batsman or even Usama Mir in his place. I think Iftikhar is more likely to play a big innings than Haris who mostly does quick cameos. Don't think he's ready yet. My main concern is the top order scoring too slowly against spin but it's a good team otherwise.

Max D

Cricket Spectator
Potential line up for the defending Champs....

Roy
Bairstow
Root
Brook
Buttler
Livingstone
Moeen
Curran
Woakes
Wood
Rashid
Looks beefy as that. Worthy of the defending champs. Looking forward to see Buttler Brook and Livingstone smash it about. Apart from Pakistan 🤣🤣

No Malan or Archer? I thought they would be in with a shout

Max D

Cricket Spectator
I rate Agha Salman's bowling. Think he can reliably bowl 6 overs. Imad Wasim is economical too. That's enough 5th bowling imo. I think Nawaz is a bit of a no rounder and I'd rather have a better batsman or even Usama Mir in his place. I think Iftikhar is more likely to play a big innings than Haris who mostly does quick cameos. Don't think he's ready yet. My main concern is the top order scoring too slowly against spin but it's a good team otherwise.
Good shouts regarding 5th bowler. You're right, Imad and Salman will be more than adequate for 5th bowler, even maybe reducing some pressure on Shadab.

So our respective teams come down to whether we feel Iftikhar or Harris would prove more fruitful in the tourny. Money and selectors probably side with you. I just like the cut of Harris's jib and I feel Iftikhar might turn into a Asif Ali failing to deceive more often than not. I do hope to be wrong mind.

trundler

Good shouts regarding 5th bowler. You're right, Imad and Salman will be more than adequate for 5th bowler, even maybe reducing some pressure on Shadab.

So our respective teams come down to whether we feel Iftikhar or Harris would prove more fruitful in the tourny. Money and selectors probably side with you. I just like the cut of Harris's jib and I feel Iftikhar might turn into a Asif Ali failing to deceive more often than not. I do hope to be wrong mind.
Asif Ali has an awful FC and list a record. Iftikhar at least knows how to build an innings and he's a good 6 hitter too. I feel like he'll be vital for upping the run scoring in the middle overs. I think we're screwed if we see pitches like this but we'll they've on slower pitches like the ones at Multan last year. Many of the guys we are depending big time on like Naseem and Agha have only come into the ODI side in the last 12 months which is a concern too. Asia Cup will reveal a lot.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
1. Warner
2. Head *
3. Marsh
4. Smith
5. Carey +
6. Green
7. Maxwell
8. Agar
9. Starc
10. Zampa
11. Hazlewood

12. Hughes
13. Inglis
14. Cummins
15. Ellis

Stoinis will be there though and Cummins will be captain. Hughes zero chance of being selected.