• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Im not a Foxcroft believer
That's OK, it's just whether you're a believer in another all-round guy who averages 56 with the ball in List A cricket and 31 with the bat, bowls with the same arm and bats with the same hand as the other spinning all-rounder and is significantly less skilled, and is being batted in a position where he just doesn't have the firepower to do a job.

I like Rachin, and I hope he becomes a Test regular and I think he could, over time, be an ODI opener too. But I can't see a world where he's the right option as a finisher and a genuine bowling option.

vandem

International 12th Man
Let's just hope for an injury to someone so that Foxcroft gets the call up - he should be the replacement for M Bracewell imo.
But Macewell was in the World Cup team as a bowling all-rounder, expected to bowl 6-8 overs, his lower order hitting as a bonus. And Foxcroft / McConchie to me are batting all-rounders, so not direct replacements.

Foxcroft perhaps unlucky they didn't give him the England tour as a chance to test his bowling ability at ODI level, but I think tour selection was very focused on the World Cup, and the selectors put a high value on experience leading into the big tournaments.

I assume Ravindra gets the tour as he will be the World Cup non-travelling reserve who covers Santner injury, so just giving him some more time with the squad. Will be surprised if he starts a game. Unless selectors are ultra-keen on a long batting lineup and looking at Ravindra + Phillips + Mitchell to share the 5th bowler slot instead of Sodhi in the XI ...

Moss

International Vice-Captain
But Macewell was in the World Cup team as a bowling all-rounder, expected to bowl 6-8 overs, his lower order hitting as a bonus. And Foxcroft / McConchie to me are batting all-rounders, so not direct replacements.

Foxcroft perhaps unlucky they didn't give him the England tour as a chance to test his bowling ability at ODI level, but I think tour selection was very focused on the World Cup, and the selectors put a high value on experience leading into the big tournaments.

I assume Ravindra gets the tour as he will be the World Cup non-travelling reserve who covers Santner injury, so just giving him some more time with the squad. Will be surprised if he starts a game. Unless selectors are ultra-keen on a long batting lineup and looking at Ravindra + Phillips + Mitchell to share the 5th bowler slot instead of Sodhi in the XI ...
Mostly AWTA. The squad pretty much points to what the selectors are thinking with regard to the world cup. No Foxcroft or McConchie means they aren't in the frame as Macewell's replacement. Either Ravindra fills that role like he did in Pakistan (miscast I know), or Sodhi is a certain starter as the mandatory-second-spinner-in-the-subcontinent. Neesham and Chapman will most likely be back. No Blundell means they are probably looking at Conway or Allen as backup keeper (not my preferred solution).

Interesting that the squad is chock full of pace bowlers. I hope the Jamieson selection is more to ease him back into international cricket than a serious audition for the world cup, I feel he's wasted in a white ball tournament in India. Will be most interested to see if Milne can build on his showing in Pakistan, if he's bowling well at pace would be a useful addition and will keep Ferguson on his toes.

Batting-wise looks like Nicholls is still very much in the frame, guess the selectors are still hedging their bets by having him and Young in the squad as contenders for KW's batting spot. Thought the India and Pakistan series earlier this year had already provided some clarity, but let's see.

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
Labuschagne named in Aus A team for 50 overs ODI team vs NZ A coming up after 2 Un official test in Sep

1st NZ A v Aus A starts on Aug 28

thundaboult

International Debutant
dude i hate being so negative everytime these squad announcements come out but nicholls JUST KEEPS getting selected

although i agree that foxcroft should be there....i'm just relieved to see they are backing a youngin with potential like rachin....

ffs sears and clarkson should already have been around this squad for a year by now so i'm just happy that at least rachin is

also...another thing to be positive about...no tickner!! is he injured or did nzc come to their senses and drop him for now?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess it is an experience thing, that the wider squad members probably do need to have been exposed to international cricket to be in a World Cup squad. It would be asking a lot to throw in Foxcroft, Clarkson or anyone else into a big game as their - let's say - 4th or 5th ODI, especially in India. We saw the benefit of Nicholls coming in during the 2019 tournament and doing a job, because he had experience. Same as Henry in 2015.

Having said that, I still don't think Rachin has any utility in ODIs.

Little bit bitter sweet that we have six front-line pace bowlers available, when really we'll potentially only use or need 3 in India.

Jezroy

State Captain
Heard from someone today that the main stumbling block behind picking Boult and the like was DWhite.

Be interesting to see how it goes with picking those who want to play in T20 leagues, and those in NZ who may play more T20 leagues if they can do a little coming and going.

I still favour an Australian rugby type rule.

Maybe something like if you’ve played 50 tests, then you can request sabbaticals to go overseas for x amount of time.

That way, Henry Nicholls may get to go make his IPL millions.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Heard from someone today that the main stumbling block behind picking Boult and the like was DWhite.

Be interesting to see how it goes with picking those who want to play in T20 leagues, and those in NZ who may play more T20 leagues if they can do a little coming and going.

Maybe something like if you’ve played 50 tests, then you can request sabbaticals to go overseas for x amount of time.

It will be extremely shocking if Nicholls gets an Ipl gig.

thundaboult

International Debutant

Nicholls would make for an excellent water boy in the IPL. Its the only thing he can probably do quickly.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Cricket's biggest trophy, the ODI world cup is now less than 2 months away. Almost half a century of history and legacy behind it.

Its about that time dawg. Bring it. Good to hear boult sounding so commited and confident as well in his recent interview.