• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Congrats to England on winning this game. Going into the last session with Australia 3 down and Smith and Head there I didn’t see how Australia could lose.

This one will probably hurt more than 2019 as they were 2-0 up and really had chances to drive the series home. For me the turning point of the series was Headingley the 1st innings England looked down and out but that innings from Stokes turned the tide.

Lyon missing the series after Lords probably also cost Australia a chance to win the series.

Amazing to think it will be 26 years at least for Australia to win an ashes in England. As s kid growing up you took it forgranted that Australia would win the ashes regardless of where it was.
Honestly I think it stings now for Aussies, but give it a few days and you might change your opinion..

I feel that 2019 loss was way worse :

● You lost Steven Smith to a concussion for the final test , he was in God mode in 2019 Ashes you surely would have won had he played the final test .

●Look at Englands top 7 going into that game ,
1.Burns 2.Roy 3.Root 4.Denly 5.Stokes 6.Buttler 7.Bairstow
Don't think there has been a weaker top 7 this century from England at home

● Then the actual match , you get put in some difficult conditions but you get to 136/2 ..
You get bowled out for 179 ..8 wickets for 40 odd .

●No matter you bundle England out for just 67. When you bowl a side out for double figures you expect to win 99.99% of the time

●Then Australia botch the chance to put the nail in the coffin with some poor shots in the 2nd dig , Labuschagne top scores with 80 but gets run out sums it up. Anyhow target is still huge at 362

●Then you miss a whole lot of chances , questionable fields , bad runout miss by Lyon , Umpire gives Stokes not out when he should have been given ..You can't finish the tail when you have a side 9 down with 70+ still needed to win..

That just was a whole big mess from Australia..It should have never happened, England fought back to 2-2 in this series playing good cricket ,
Headingley 19 was a smash and grab .

loterry1994

International Debutant
Honestly I think it stings now for Aussies, but give it a few days and you might change your opinion..

● You lost Steven Smith to a concussion for the final test , he was in God mode in 2019 Ashes you surely would have won had he played the final test .

● Then the actual match , you get put in some difficult conditions but you get to 136/2 ..

●No matter you bundle England out for just 67. When you bowl a side out for double figures you expect to win 99.99% of the time

●Then Australia botch the chance to put the nail in the coffin with some poor shots in the 2nd dig , Labuschagne top scores with 80 but gets run out sums it up. Anyhow target is still huge at 362

●Then you miss a whole lot of chances , questionable fields , bad runout miss by Lyon , Umpire gives Stokes not out when he should have been given ..You can't finish the tail when you have a side 9 down with 70+ still needed to win..

That just was a whole big mess from Australia..It should have never happened, England fought back to 2-2 in this series playing good cricket ,
I honestly think England will be hurting way more that they didn’t win this series compared to Australia retaining. That first test England somehow lost needing like two wickets left for 70 runs. You win that test and the whole series could of been way different especially with Lyons injuryand how much momentum England gained the whole series

Australian was pretty flat the rest of the series after the 2nd test as well. They didn’t have many great replacements like England did with Wood, Tongue, Woakes etc. Think that’s also what cost Australia, their bowlers seem tired as by the fourth test

Niall

International Coach

Don't forget their final review in that Stokes test was an absolutely braindead call by Paine. It was clearly not out but Paine decided "**** it may as well whats the worse that can happen" and yeah the worst did happen with Stokes!

13 minutes in btw.

Shady Slim

International Coach
ah what a sport what a series test cricket is best cricket!! congratulations ingerlund on what was a great series - england better on net but let it slip in crucial moments with those early matches. congrats mo and broad for having a say on the very last day of the series.

gloating too much about being awarded the trophy after a tie is a distinctly english phenomenon and any man woman child or person identifying as other identity from australia who does that ought to be ashamed itbt!

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
What an incredible series, no margin of victory greater than 3 wickets or 50 runs. Makes you think that as one-sided as that 4th test had been, a big Darsh-Green partnership would’ve set up a 200ish chase that also would’ve gone down to the wire.

The Duke of Sussex

Cricket Spectator
In my opinion I'm not being non Gracious or satly just sharing my opinions on the series.

I'm very Happy with the tour from Australia and I think Australia was the best team in this series.

But I will say Tell it as I see it regardless of which team wins.

If Don't agree make a case for England how about that.

Saying lyon was injured and ball changes are simply telling facts mate.
Do you remember when the cry used to be “whinging poms” ?

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
I honestly think England will be hurting way more that they didn’t win this series compared to Australia retaining. That first test England somehow lost needing like two wickets left for 70 runs. You win that test and the whole series could of been way different especially with Lyons injuryand how much momentum England gained the whole series

Australian was pretty flat the rest of the series after the 2nd test as well. They didn’t have many great replacements like England did with Wood, Tongue, Woakes etc. Think that’s also what cost Australia, their bowlers seem tired as by the fourth test
Agree with this. Stokes didn't look/sound that happy either tbh. After all, he doesn't believe in draws!

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Just told my wife the series result. Her words (not mine): "That's okay as I really don't like either team. Although I guess England are worse as they go on and on whenever they win".

mustardcharlie

School Boy/Girl Captain
Another thing they should consider , does Pat Cummins really need to be captain ?
As always when people discuss a player's role within a team whether it be batting, bowling or captaincy, a critic needs to put forward an alternative in the role. Who would you have as captain? Lyon would be a good choice IMO but I don't know whether there is enough respect in Australia for him.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
As always when people discuss a player's role within a team whether it be batting, bowling or captaincy, a critic needs to put forward an alternative in the role. Who would you have as captain? Lyon would be a good choice IMO but I don't know whether there is enough respect in Australia for him.
Yes Lyon would be a good choice , he has the senority and I think his teammates respect him which is most important, Australian crowd can be won over ..I think Lyon can play on for another 5-6 years so a good shout ..Personally I would go for Travis Head , I think he can stamp his aggressive style on this Australian team and take it forward for years to come .

loterry1994

International Debutant
Yes Lyon would be a good choice , he has the senority and I think his teammates respect him which is most important, Australian crowd can be won over ..I think Lyon can play on for another 5-6 years so a good shout ..Personally I would go for Travis Head , I think he can stamp his aggressive style on this Australian team and take it forward for years to come .
Lyon is 36 this year I really don’t seem him playing longer than 2 more years

loterry1994

International Debutant
WTC takes two years to win which is lot of hard work, meaning a team have to be great for long time. while the ashes or Worlds cups teams only have to peak for a few weeks.

WTC only had two cycles so going to take while before gets to its prime. doesn't mean it's worse than the others only that it's new thing.

For me the Tournament/ cycle which takes more work and got to good for longer-term is the best which is WTC.

Australian compete the full set of championships ODI T20 and Now WTC is very special more than the ashes IMO.
I’d take the wtc more serious if it was set up better. No doubt it’s an achievement and tough to win. But when you have like Pakistan, New Zealand, Sri lanka etc playing mainly two test series and half the amount of matches compared to England, Aus, India that shows there’s a big problem with how it’s run

Jake the Peg

Cricket Spectator
England should turned the ball down and sandpaper was long time ago.
It is up to the umpires to decide what is a suitable replacement ball, not the players. And sandpaper may have been a long time ago but it will be what some members of your current team will always be remembered for.

And with regard to your suggestion that we should make a case for why England were the better team - we scored more runs at a quicker pace than the Aussies and took more wickets.