• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
In my opinion Australia WTC title win was more important than this ashes series so very successful tour for Australia.

Won WTC final
Retain the ashes for 2nd time in row in England!

Confirming Australia as best Test team in the world job done.

England only draw the series because lyon got injured otherwise it would been 3-1 Australia. Rain saved England plus help from the umpires with the ball change.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Cummins ended the series with an average of 37. Confirms my hypothesis that his lack of variety would make him susceptible to getting Bazballed. Starc having a good series consistent with this too as he's a gun LO bowler.
yeah I know the bowlers averages got high in the end. One thing I will say our bowling replacements we had hurt us in the end also. They had Robinson and Ali go down in the series early and had like tongue, wood, woakes to rely on who had Great games.We had Boland, Murphy and Josh who struggled a lot at times. Think England being able to keep their bowlers more fresh helped them a lot

loterry1994

International Debutant
In my opinion Australia WTC title win was more important than this ashes series so very successful tour for Australia.

Won WTC final

Confirming Australia as best Test in the world job done.

England only draw the series because lyon got injured otherwise it would been 3-1 Australia. Rain saved England plus help from the umpires with the ball change.
nah you gotta give England credit that’s incredible for them to come back 2-0 down. They went on a way better level after that test 2 loss.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeah I know the bowlers averages got high in the end. One thing I will say our bowling replacements we had hurt us in the end also. They had Robinson and Ali go down in the series early and had like tongue, wood, woakes to rely on who had Great games.We had Boland, Murphy and Josh who struggled a lot at times. Think England being able to keep their bowlers more fresh helped them a lot
Tbf if this was in Australia and they called up Steketee, Bird or whoever they'd have done respectably too. That's how Boland was unearthed. Crazy that Neser was overlooked in hindsight though.

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
Let's be honest here England only won this test match because of incorrect ball change and rain.

England only drawn the series because lyon got injured just like Glenn in 05.

England never-ending luck at home keep going forever.

Australia are better team compared to England overall.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

Won WTC final

Confirming Australia as best Test team in the world job done.

India are the best team in the world. Australia and England close behind.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Tbf if this was in Australia and they called up Steketee, Bird or whoever they'd have done respectably too. That's how Boland was unearthed. Crazy that Neser was overlooked in hindsight though.
Guess it’s different when we’re 4 or 5 niling these guys at home

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
nah you gotta give England credit that’s incredible for them to come back 2-0 down. They went on a way better level after that test 2 loss.
Of course Congratulations England but WTC final and retain the ashes was more important for Australian.

I give England full credit then Umpires stop changing the ball for them every 30 overs.

I feel England deserved 2-2 for last 3 matches however it should happened in more fair way.

Not decided by poor Umpires but that’s cricket

loterry1994

International Debutant
I think if India have Bumrah and Pant they might be the best in the world with Australia a close second. England can talk about being the best for now but they’ll have to show it when they come down to Australia for the next ashes

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
No Australian best Test team in the world they are WTC champions. in my opinion the team who holds this title are the best.

Also Australian was the best during 2021-23 timeline.

Niall

International Coach
I think if India have Bumrah and Pant they might be the best in the world with Australia a close second. England can talk about being the best for now but they’ll have to show it when they come down to Australia for the next ashes
Its a tough one with India, the most dominant home side you can imagine and those 2 wins in Australia look better and better every day, but the negatives are the lack of series wins in England, South Africa and NZ. Then of course two rather tame losses in the World Test Finals.

I dunno, not much between the top three is their?

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
^It's 1 win in Australia for India in the last WTC cycle not two.

The 1st India win against in Australia wasn't part of last WTC cycle we should only count the series 2021-2023.

Not test series from 5 years ago...

We judge teams based on their performances during two year WTC cycle not before or after.

Which makes Australia the best team with Currently combo of ashes win and Pakistan away victory plus WTC final.

Last edited:

White Ball

State 12th Man
Congrats to England on winning this game. Going into the last session with Australia 3 down and Smith and Head there I didn’t see how Australia could lose.

This one will probably hurt more than 2019 as they were 2-0 up and really had chances to drive the series home. For me the turning point of the series was Headingley the 1st innings England looked down and out but that innings from Stokes turned the tide.

Lyon missing the series after Lords probably also cost Australia a chance to win the series.

Amazing to think it will be 26 years at least for Australia to win an ashes in England. As s kid growing up you took it forgranted that Australia would win the ashes regardless of where it was.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Let's be honest here England only won this test match because of incorrect ball change and rain.

England only drawn the series because lyon got injured just like Glenn in 05.

England never-ending luck at home keep going forever.

Australia are better team compared to England overall.
lol one of the all-time great wahhhs this.

Well done England... clearly the superior side in the series, with the 3-2 winning margin robbed by the rain... and everyone knows it including you.

Brilliant today England & Broad!~