• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

Spark

Global Moderator
Big questions for Australia:

Will Warner play another test?
Should they persevere with an allrounder at 6 (which one if so?) and Carey (av 31) @ 7?
Hazelwood, Boland or neither? (Is Lance Morris an option? What about Neser esp if 6/7 is mediocre?
Does Lyon walk straight back in ahead of Murphy?
- Yes. He shouldn't, but he will.
- Given the number of bowling injuries and scares mid game in this series they would be absolutely insane if they didn't pick an all rounder at six, even before getting to balanced considerations. I would strongly consider moving on from Carey though, these two tours have been deeply disappointing and he isn't getting younger.
- We probably do need to look at Morris, Starc won't be around forever and the lack of the point-of-difference in the attack shows in flatter conditions which we might get from now on.
- Yes. Obviously.

loterry1994

International Debutant
It would have been a huge improvement - Lyon had been in career best form and was our best bowler by a long way at Edgbaston.

It certainly could have been decisive at Headingley. Cummins desperately needed a way to change the rhythm of the chase at the end and just didn't trust Murphy.
yeah your probably right. a lot too look at in both departments. Thought the batting and bowling was decent this series but not consistent enough. The bowling had times they brought Aus back into the game mainly in tests 1-3 but couldn’t really contain bazball all series with the run rate. The batting did post some decent totals but had very good positions in the series where they could have batted England off the game. Way too many starts by the top order not converting and too many low order collapses

loterry1994

International Debutant
Australia have not won a Test series in England since 2001.....not a good look lol.

Anyway, well done England.
don’t get why the poms are gloating about it still. England won’t have held the ashes for like 10 years the next time it comes to Australia but that’s hardly to gloat about as well with two drawn series in between

Spark

Global Moderator
yeah your probably right. a lot too look at in both departments. Thought the batting and bowling was decent this series but not consistent enough. The bowling had times they brought Aus back into the game mainly in tests 1-3 but couldn’t really contain bazball all series with the run rate. The batting did post some decent totals but had very good positions in the series where they could have batted England off the game. Way too many starts by the top order not converting and too many low order collapses
I think for me the thing with the bowling is that a huge proportion of wickets, maybe like half, were England batsmen throwing their wickets away with really stupid shots. Like great I'll take that and all but I'm not going to call it great bowling when they do that, that's more luck than skill.

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
No I'd say it was based more around Green having a Test hundred against Ashwin and Jadeja in the Test match before this block of six games began.
Green's ton was the fourth highest score in a runfest where only two innings were completed. That's good, but it wasn't what you're making it out to be.

For some context.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Currently Pakistan 100, India 66.67, Aus 43.33, Eng 43.33, WI 16.67, and the rest yet to face a ball.
India going to be in most finals of wtc mainly cause their record at home. Not sure about England in it there home conditions usually give other teams a good chance

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
Australia have not won a Test series in England since 2001.....not a good look lol.

Anyway, well done England.
England haven't held the ashes since 2015 that's a also bad look.

Not to mention England got destroyed the 3 times they come to Australia while the England series are close drawn series.

England in fact have won one series in Australia in 30 plus years. my point is you guys are not any better away.

Silver Silva

International Debutant

Should they persevere with an allrounder at 6 (which one if so?) and Carey (av 31) @ 7?
Hazelwood, Boland or neither? (Is Lance Morris an option? What about Neser esp if 6/7 is mediocre?
Another thing they should consider , does Pat Cummins really need to be captain ?

loterry1994

International Debutant
I think for me the thing with the bowling is that a huge proportion of wickets, maybe like half, were England batsmen throwing their wickets away with really stupid shots. Like great I'll take that and all but I'm not going to call it great bowling when they do that, that's more luck than skill.
I could say a lot of the same with Australia’s dismissals as well. How many times did Warner get out the exact same way or how many times did Smith or Marnus get out to loose shots. Or how many times did our lower order or tail throw it and get bowled under 30 does that mean Englands bowlers didn’t bowl well?

like I said thought the bowlers were decent not great same with the batters. The bowlers took advantage at times where they’d pick up a wicket and get other wickets in clumps and turned the momentum but absolutely fell off a cliff test 4. The tactics were terrible for them also. I think it’s just bazball way in the future you’ll get a lot of wickets kind of like t20s that are going to happen scoring at a high run rate

I’d give our bowling like a 5.5 and our batters a 6.5. You can’t say our batters were great just cause of past series failures in England. We fell of a cliff too many times but you can say that about the whole Series with both teams they couldn’t take full advantage of good positions

Niall

International Coach
[/QUOTE]

I think Australia have a relatively comfortable summer so as good as time as any to replace a declining Warner.Batting wise its an old enough team so must not make the mistake so many others have of replacing all their oldies at same time, phase out the least important which is clearly Warner.

All Rounder at six should be Green, poor series but gun all rounders are rare and Green is clearly a prodigy so he must be persisted with.

Boland like Woakes is maybe a hometown bully? Nothing wrong with that, I'd give him another look for the home series.

Lyon is a better spinner than Murphy who I like so yeah for sure he should.

Gob

International Coach
****ing hell they lost 4 for 11 in 19 balls

That's exactly the kind of collapse you need to lose 7 wickets in a session.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cummins ended the series with an average of 37. Confirms my hypothesis that his lack of variety would make him susceptible to getting Bazballed. Starc having a good series consistent with this too as he's a gun LO bowler.