• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

Spark

Global Moderator
Honestly I don’t know how much Lyon being there the whole series would have turned it for Australia. England went to another level after the 2nd test. And most their batters and bowlers found form.
It would have been a huge improvement - Lyon had been in career best form and was our best bowler by a long way at Edgbaston.

It certainly could have been decisive at Headingley. Cummins desperately needed a way to change the rhythm of the chase at the end and just didn't trust Murphy.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No I'd say it was based more around Green having a Test hundred against Ashwin and Jadeja in the Test match before this block of six games began.
It was a good knock though you know you're overselling it here. Nothing to put him above Stokes in his first series in England. Premature as I said. Stokes was gun and Green's spot in the side is questionable now.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Big questions for Australia:

Will Warner play another test?
Should they persevere with an allrounder at 6 (which one if so?) and Carey (av 31) @ 7?
Hazelwood, Boland or neither? (Is Lance Morris an option? What about Neser esp if 6/7 is mediocre?
Does Lyon walk straight back in ahead of Murphy?

loterry1994

International Debutant
No I'd say it was based more around Green having a Test hundred against Ashwin and Jadeja in the Test match before this block of six games began.
they gotta stop over hyping Green still in Australia. His had a decent start to his career but got plenty of flaws especially with his batting. Same thing happened with Marsh in his early career you don’t want the same happening with Green

Spark

Global Moderator
It was a good knock though you know you're overselling it here. Nothing to put him above Stokes in his first series in England. Premature as I said. Stokes was gun and Green's spot in the side is questionable now.
It's still ridiculous to say that people were judging his potential Test form based on his IPL form when he had actual Test form to go on. It's even more so do impute that other people did so when literally no one did.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Point is, the Aussies discounted Stokes and thought Green was as good or better going into the series which was ridiculously premature. Stokes was always going to bring his A game in The Ashes and Green is still unproven. This was based mostly on Green hitting a ton in IPL and Stokes not doing much, which was pretty meaningless.
No brother had nothing to with IPL ..

Cameron Green has been a prodigy from schoolboy cricket for Aussies , then for Western Australia he averaged over 50 with the bat in Sheffield Cricket and can bowl 140+ plus ..

Also remember in Green's first Ashes he out performed Stokes by a distance , he played all 5 matches averaged 32 with the bat and 15 with the ball , while Stokes played all 5 , averaged 23 with the bat and 71 with the ball ..

Obviously Stokes is a better cricketer for now ,but Aussies have genuine high hopes for Green and rightly so ..Lot to work with there.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's still ridiculous to say that people were judging his potential Test form based on his IPL form when he had actual Test form to go on. It's even more so do impute that other people did so when literally no one did.
There was definitely an undercurrent of this but ok.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
No brother had nothing to with IPL ..

Cameron Green has been a prodigy from schoolboy cricket for Aussies , then for New South Wales he averaged over 50 with the bat in Sheffield Cricket and can bowl 140+ plus ..

Also remember in Green's first Ashes he out performed Stokes by a distance , he played all 5 matches averaged 32 with the bat and 15 with the ball , while Stokes played all 5 , averaged 23 with the bat and 71 with the ball ..

Obviously Stokes is a better cricketer for now ,but Aussies have genuine high hopes for Green and rightly so ..Lot to work with there.
Good points (although he's from Western Australia)

_00_deathscar

International Regular
As Ashwin and Jadeja dominate every test series at home for like 10 years
English fans: Ashwin and Jadeja aren’t that good, they’re just home bullies

As Jimmy and Broad can’t even beat teams at home
Also English fans: bRoAdY and JiMmY aRe CrIcK3t LeGeNdZ

WICFan

State 12th Man
Should have shown faith in Murphy who played with real confidence once he got in the game.
Hindsight and all that.

If Marnus and Smith didn't brainfade against Moeen then Australia may have the runs in the bank to use him more in the 4th innings, I think after that they panicked and seen the tide turning.

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
Green didn't have a great series but anyone writing him off will have to eat their words in the future - and I say that as an English supporter.
I'm not writing him off. Massively overrated at this stage though, which isn't helping him.