• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

Gob

International Coach
This is a useless discussion about who “deserveswhat or who should win in sports because if the “better” team always won, you wouldn’t really have sports.

But if you had to pick between the two sides about which one you’d take to win the next Test if there was one, you’d have to go with England. Which, if I were an England fan, would be very frustrating.
Australia just looked spooked since Lords tbh. Don't know if it was the whole Bairstow thing or the enormity of what they were going to achieve got to their heads but it just didn't feel right

Anyway a decent series which was pretty draining watching sometimes

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
This is a useless discussion about who “deserveswhat or who should win in sports because if the “better” team always won, you wouldn’t really have sports.

But if you had to pick between the two sides about which one you’d take to win the next Test if there was one, you’d have to go with England. Which, if I were an England fan, would be very frustrating.
To be honest the frustration was after the OT test, not now, it's out of my system.

OT was horrible as it robbed us of a brilliant decider in the final test. To lose the chance to win the Ashes back due to 2 days of rain was tough to take.

But now I can live with 2 all.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
****ing hate the circus that is Wrexham.
Just been watching the show about it. Big fan of always sunny and the owners.

Rob Mac loved sunderland till I die and believe part of why he got into football ownership. So it's my clubs fault, sorry about that.

Obviously their chucking down money that is mental for the national league. But Salford did the same and then to a lesser extent AFC Fylde. South Shields up my way too into National League North.

@GIMH penny for your thoughts if Norwood goes there.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Australia just looked spooked since Lords tbh. Don't know if it was the whole Bairstow thing or the enormity of what they were going to achieve got to their heads but it just didn't feel right

It was the blokes in the Long Room

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Fair play to Australia for the muted approach with the urn there.

best Test series I’ve watched in 18 years

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I loved this series so much more than any series India play because I wasn’t just an anxious of nerves and I could laugh at the idiotic “controversies” that envelop entire countries. It’s funny how we can’t see how trivial most things are when its our own team.

What an unbelievable series and honestly, and I mean this with all sincerity, Test cricket is the best sport in the world. Even with, and perhaps because of, all the nonsense nationalistic and ridiculous storylines that always pop up over the course of months during a long series. Nothing can top the last series of India in Australia especially with the ending given I support India but man this is the best neutral series I’ve seen since 2005 Ashes. Objectively, Ashes are truly the pinnacle of our sport even during the times that one or both teams may not be the best in the world.

I watched every ball at the expense of spending time with family. And all I can say at the end is: **** family.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ah so you make it up. Cheers.
Point is, the Aussies discounted Stokes and thought Green was as good or better going into the series which was ridiculously premature. Stokes was always going to bring his A game in The Ashes and Green is still unproven. This was based mostly on Green hitting a ton in IPL and Stokes not doing much, which was pretty meaningless.

WICFan

State 12th Man

Think Lyon's injury really shook them, we seen how they became bereft of ideas without him and the batting never really clicked as a unit the whole series.

Spark

Global Moderator
Point is, the Aussies discounted Stokes and thought Green was as good or better going into the series which was ridiculously premature. Stokes was always going to bring his A game in The Ashes and Green is still unproven. This was based mostly on Green hitting a ton in IPL and Stokes not doing much, which was pretty meaningless.
No I'd say it was based more around Green having a Test hundred against Ashwin and Jadeja in the Test match before this block of six games began.

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
it didn’t dart nearly as much I reckon after Marsh wicket. That draw could of been had if they got over woakes spell there’s no defending the batting today
Nah, that bowling was too good.

No harm acknowledging we have been outplayed. I thought we put up a good fight (better than I was expecting) but poms too good in the end.

The pom bowling has been far better than ours with Broad, Wood and Woakes exceptional, that's been the difference.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Honestly I don’t know how much Lyon being there the whole series would have turned it for Australia. England went to another level after the 2nd test. And most their batters and bowlers found form.