• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

Victor Ian

International Coach
Australia are where they are because they've tried to play cautious. It's good to retain the ashes, but they need to bash up the bully rather than tire him out if they want the win. I want Australia to bazball the chase. It's the only way Warner will get big runs. Same goes for the others. Need two to smash England off their lines and bowling options. Then they win

danzydab

U19 Debutant
Doesn't matter if England wins this test match Australia already Retained the ashes plus won WTC against India.

Very successful tour for Australia heading into world cup later this year.

We all know Australia been the better team in this ashes series should won 3rd test but choked it.

England only played good cricket in last two tests not to mention Australia played extra test which is unfair.

Australia with Lyon and one less test win the series 4-1...

Australia are just better team overall.
not at all
england made so many silly avoidable mistakes at edgbaston and had bairstow not kept so poorly, england would've won easily as it was dominant throughout the whole test.

also , had woakes and wood played from the first test onwards, eng would've won this series even if lyon didnt get injured.

Shady Slim

International Coach
That's not what I wrote though.

What I actually wrote was the '19 Aussie team seemed good enough to win that series. We were denied by a freak innings from Stokes but still went on to win the 4th test. Seems they might have celebrated a little too freely after that and makes it more disappointing (from my own pov).

From the mid point of this series it's been all the poms. Simply finding a way to compete has been our biggest problem. This team haven't shown much in the last couple of matches to make anyone think they are good enough to win this series, or that it's very likely. Assuming they do lose (which looks likely if the weather doesn't intervene) the disappointment will be less here, because of that (again, from my pov).

Then again, even allowing for what is clearly your misunderstanding of what I wrote, I disagree that this side/squad is necessarily better than the '19 one. Perhaps "on paper" but games aren't played on paper and I find that arguable in itself.

For example, I'm not seeing any one of these Aus quicks making a composite squad, let alone a starting eleven.

We had a better attack in '19 and also had Lyon for the whole series (a choice between Starc, Siddle, Pattinson for 3rd bowler indicates a far stronger squad). We certainly weren't throwing in a rookies spinner. At any rate I don't remember our preferred bowling line being the "drift onto the pads", or gifting new to the crease batsmen all they singles as the like because we were sh-t scared they would hit boundaries. Not sure our batsmen were plodding along at 10 sr very often either.

We also had Smith in imperious form, a better version of Labuschagne and something of a renaissance from Wade. Probably had a better keeper too.

So I think all of your claims are doubtful and you might be bigging this team up a little too much.
i see what you are saying here

on paper this side is probably stronger than the side which toured in 2019; this usman in for marcus harris is a massive tilt, as is the form head was in leading into this series. the way each side's actually played though given how impossibly good smith and marnus were that series and how aggressively mid they've been against their own standards during this ongoing series (outside of the smith century) you'd take the actual on field performance of that side vs this current one

Qlder

International Debutant
also , had woakes and wood played from the first test onwards, eng would've won this series even if lyon didnt get injured.
Nice hindsight. England selectors decided not to play Woakes for test vs Ireland or the first 2 Ashes Tests. Ask them why?

As for Wood, he was only declared fit for the 3rd test, injured before that

Victor Ian

International Coach
not at all
england made so many silly avoidable mistakes at edgbaston and had bairstow not kept so poorly, england would've won easily as it was dominant throughout the whole test.

This is silly. If Marsh had played from the first test and Australia not played Boland and if they played Murphy instead of Lyon in the second test...

If Wood and Woakes played from the first test, they'd be broken now and Australia would be winning.

You do realise that silly mistakes are not the sole domain of the English team. Australia have made many more. England make a stupid declaration but we bowl stupid over and over. England picks bairstow, but we pick Warner - we have you covered in ****ing up a good thing.

danzydab

U19 Debutant
Nice hindsight. England selectors decided not to play Woakes for test vs Ireland or the first 2 Ashes Tests. Ask them why?

As for Wood, he was only declared fit for the 3rd test, injured before that
just saying that as a counter point to the notion that aus would've won 3-1 if lyon wasnt injured

eng's non-selection of woakes first two tests and josh tongue in the last 2 tests has been pretty bizarre

danzydab

U19 Debutant
This is silly. If Marsh had played from the first test and Australia not played Boland and if they played Murphy instead of Lyon in the second test...

If Wood and Woakes played from the first test, they'd be broken now and Australia would be winning.

You do realise that silly mistakes are not the sole domain of the English team. Australia have made many more. England make a stupid declaration but we bowl stupid over and over. England picks bairstow, but we pick Warner - we have you covered in ****ing up a good thing.
its just a response to the speculation of 3-1 aus if lyon played all 5 tests.

But who do Australia have besides Warner? Would harris or renshaw have done much better?

Shri

Mr. Glass
assuming 2 sessions are rained out post lunch, i'd send head in at 3 to bat freely and labu at 5 tomorrow if needed for a blockathon to secure a draw

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
not at all

Both teams made mistakes so it all evens out but Australia just dropped 5 chances in this test match.

Well if wood played 1st two tests he could have gotten injured who knows than English are without him in the last two tests.

Wood missing out on 1st two tests has worked out for England he wouldn't last whole 5 matches.

Woakes is good but he's not match winning bowler he only adds depth that’s it.

Remember we didn't drop Warner the whole series if we did the series would 4-1 dominate Australia win.

Long with Lyon missing and extra test plus losing 4 tosses.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
its just a response to the speculation of 3-1 aus if lyon played all 5 tests.

But who do Australia have besides Warner? Would harris or renshaw have done much better?
There is little point speculating about injured players. Leach would have played all five tests if he hadn’t been injured. Even if he may not have been successful he would have still balanced the England bowling lineup better than Ali. For my tuppence, Australia still look more vulnerable batting wise in English conditions even if they are arguably a sounder unit than in 2019 and Smith’s virtuoso series . I think the pace attack looks a little past it’s peak but they were very good at Lord’s and are still a better unit than England who have been carrying Anderson and Ali and Stokes unfit.

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
If Labuschagne didn't play worse shot of he's test career and Smith cheap dismissal Australia would won 3rd test and series 3-1.

Australia was in compete control of the ashes until Labuschagne sweep shot and lyon injury we also keep playing Warner.