• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

Gob

International Coach
Hesitate to say this but I think we have run out of plot twists in this one. The Aussies look done and on form aren't going to chases these runs.

A good chance here for Smithy to improve his 4th innings stats (in 24 innings so far ave 28 with 4 fifties and 0 hundreds), or for a few others to show some fight. It's more likely that they'll have one foot on the plane and this could be over early. Hope it doesn't get too ugly. The Aussies don't appear to want this as badly as the poms (so far at least).

Probably not as disappointing as '19 as that team definitely were good enough to win outright, whereas I doubt this team is. Some bowling and field settings have been bewildering but I suppose you can only be as good as the opposition allows, and the fact is the poms have shown a lot more fight towards the back end of this series. In the end you're only as good as you're results anyway.

Great career from Broad, one of England's best ever. Certainly where Ashes in England are concerned Broad was always the Aussies chief tormenter during his career. Great competitor and character. Will be a shame to see him go but now seems a good time to call it.
Lol this Aus side is way better than the one in 19. England is lot better too which is the difference

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Folks understandably getting caught up with the sentimentality of Broad retiring will be disappointed when Aus chase this down with five wickets in hand by about lunch time tomorrow

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
Lol this Aus side is way better than the one in 19. England is lot better too which is the difference
That's not what I wrote though.

What I actually wrote was the '19 Aussie team seemed good enough to win that series. We were denied by a freak innings from Stokes but still went on to win the 4th test. Seems they might have celebrated a little too freely after that and makes it more disappointing (from my own pov).

From the mid point of this series it's been all the poms. Simply finding a way to compete has been our biggest problem. This team haven't shown much in the last couple of matches to make anyone think they are good enough to win this series, or that it's very likely. Assuming they do lose (which looks likely if the weather doesn't intervene) the disappointment will be less here, because of that (again, from my pov).

Then again, even allowing for what is clearly your misunderstanding of what I wrote, I disagree that this side/squad is necessarily better than the '19 one. Perhaps "on paper" but games aren't played on paper and I find that arguable in itself.

For example, I'm not seeing any one of these Aus quicks making a composite squad, let alone a starting eleven.

We had a better attack in '19 and also had Lyon for the whole series (a choice between Starc, Siddle, Pattinson for 3rd bowler indicates a far stronger squad). We certainly weren't throwing in a rookies spinner. At any rate I don't remember our preferred bowling line being the "drift onto the pads", or gifting new to the crease batsmen all they singles as the like because we were sh-t scared they would hit boundaries. Not sure our batsmen were plodding along at 10 sr very often either.

We also had Smith in imperious form, a better version of Labuschagne and something of a renaissance from Wade. Probably had a better keeper too.

So I think all of your claims are doubtful and you might be bigging this team up a little too much.

Last edited:

Qlder

International Debutant
This test set to go down as the last test for Stuart Broad and David Warner. Fitting end for Warner given selectors refused to believe he was Broad's Bunny (no Pakistan fairytale for you mate)

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Letting duckett and Crawley score so many runs is an embarrassment and almost entirely down to our bowling tactics

I always expect our batting to struggle in England but we well and truly **** the bed will the ball

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Been to all three days. First day was in the corporate section in the pavilion. This was very much down to my brother and his connections. I really don’t need to say too much about that aspect other than the fact I was a few ships to the wind. In terms of the cricket, Australia will truly regret not bowling England out for 230 or less. They had the chances and the conditions. We said at the start of the day that 300 would be a very good outcome for England. They weren’t very far short but Australia were profligate. Perhaps it being the sixth test in about seven weeks has caught up with them. I remember the over where Hazelwood went for six singles and thought WTAF! Weird cricket but the wickets of Sokes, Root and Bairstow for not many kept England below 300. Australia dug in to the close and on top at the time.
The second day and in the cheap (not!) seats and the morning session was putrid from Australia and I think they may well end up regretting it. They went nowhere and lost Labushagne. Ironically, the afternoon session was probably the best weather of the first two days but this took out the bulk of the batting and the impetus was more with England. That said I found the short ball ploy to Murphy so bizarre. They put all eggs in one basket with no slips and bowled and lbw entirely out of the equation . Didn’t rate it and well played to the las for giving Australia a precious lead however small.

Yesterday was just a good cricket day, next to knowledgeable fans both English and Aussie. Again Australia will probably regret their overly defensive fields and allowed England to easily rotate the strike even when not attacking. The Oval’s last innings record chase is 263 and although that is eminently getable, anything much beyond that is far more dubious. Crawley for me played better than for his ton as there was far more control. Him, Root and Bairstow should be all extremely disappointed that they didn’t ton up. They all played with real fluency. Perhaps they did leave runs in the hutch. That said, the forecast for today suggests not much cricket after lunch and a wait for Monday.

Given the probable situation, surely England need to bowl straight away and try and get two wickets at least before the rain comes.

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
Doesn't matter if England wins this test match Australia already Retained the ashes plus won WTC against India.

Very successful tour for Australia heading into world cup later this year.

We all know Australia been the better team in this ashes series should won 3rd test but choked it.

England only played good cricket in last two tests not to mention Australia played extra test which is unfair.

Australia with Lyon and one less test win the series 4-1...

Australia are just better team overall.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Doesn't matter if England wins this test match Australia already Retained the ashes plus won WTC against India.

Very successful tour for Australia heading into world cup later this year.

We all know Australia been the better team in this ashes series should won 3rd test but choked it.

England only played good cricket in last two tests not to mention Australia played extra test which is unfair.

Australia with Lyon and one less test win the series 4-1...

Australia are just better team overall.
But England also played a test before ashes.