• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It’s true. I don’t think teams have adjusted enough. Australia’s new ball bowling, for example, hasn’t let go of the idea that you need to make the openers play.

That said, England don’t play exactly the same way all the time. They adjust a lot, but they adjust within totally different bounds than the rest of cricket.
Well it has worked well for them so far but I get the feeling this is like a Mendis situation. Time will tell and the tour of India will be very telling. I can foresee England just ganging up on the spinners and posting like 600 but can equally see 45 all out while the entire team keeps trying to sweep ashwin on a rank turner trying to maintain #intent.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well it has worked well for them so far but I get the feeling this is like a Mendis situation. Time will tell and the tour of India will be very telling. I can foresee England just ganging up on the spinners and posting like 600 but can equally see 45 all out while the entire team keeps trying to sweep ashwin on a rank turner trying to maintain #intent.
And btw this is why I love Test cricket because either scenario would be pretty exciting (in the long term obv, in the short term I’m commuting Sepukku if England boss India in India).

91Jmay

International Coach
But what's the alternative? Fart around trying to nurdle and be 220 a.o responding to 500? You can't discuss the current style without setting it in context of the alternative.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
But what's the alternative? Fart around trying to nurdle and be 220 a.o responding to 500? You can't discuss the current style without setting it in context of the alternative.
When teams have won in India, they generally haven’t gone crazy with the types of shots. They get into a siege mindset where “well there’s a ball with my name on it” so they go nuts with crazy shots. Nurdling around (eg 2-3 an over) PROBABLY would yield a better overall outcome. Or at least the likelihood of a better outcome.

Obviously bazball is new but I can’t remember a team in india winning with an Uber aggressive approach.

And look, I’m not so full of it that I can’t possibly be proven wrong. McCullum isn’t stupid obviously and knows the game at a far better intuitive and mental level (let alone technical or tactical) than any of us here. So its very possible I’m wrong. I just find it hard to believe that everyone so far in Test cricket has gotten it wrong. Obviously the game and tactics and strategies change over the time (as they should) but it’s rarely this drastic.

But it’s sports and the beauty of it is that we will find out! I definitely enjoy seeing it - I’ve watched every single ball of this Ashes - so my opinion is not necessarily a complaint of the strategy from a viewership perspective, just an intellectual observation.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Joe Root ( 60 test 50)getting Closer to "sachin record of 68 test 50" ( 96 ODI - 50's by sachin )
Obviously records are meant to be broken but I dont think anyone will break the 100 centuries record given the place of ODIs these days. It would have to be some insane Bradmanesque player.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Obviously records are meant to be broken but I dont think anyone will break the 100 centuries record given the place of ODIs these days. It would have to be some insane Bradmanesque player.
To prove that point I actually just realized there is an ODI going on between WI and India….

now I have very much drifted completely away from LO cricket over the last15 years to the point where I couldnt tell you anything about who’s even playing but when growing up and Sachin was playing it was always an “event” at my house.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
35 overs remaining!?!?

Also why am I having conversation with myself? Is it because I just finished a 24hr shift and Im so tired that I’m delusional?

yes.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
When teams have won in India, they generally haven’t gone crazy with the types of shots. They get into a siege mindset where “well there’s a ball with my name on it” so they go nuts with crazy shots. Nurdling around (eg 2-3 an over) PROBABLY would yield a better overall outcome. Or at least the likelihood of a better outcome.

Obviously bazball is new but I can’t remember a team in india winning with an Uber aggressive approach.

And look, I’m not so full of it that I can’t possibly be proven wrong. McCullum isn’t stupid obviously and knows the game at a far better intuitive and mental level (let alone technical or tactical) than any of us here. So its very possible I’m wrong. I just find it hard to believe that everyone so far in Test cricket has gotten it wrong. Obviously the game and tactics and strategies change over the time (as they should) but it’s rarely this drastic.

But it’s sports and the beauty of it is that we will find out! I definitely enjoy seeing it - I’ve watched every single ball of this Ashes - so my opinion is not necessarily a complaint of the strategy from a viewership perspective, just an intellectual observation.
England will get pumped in India but if we’re being honest they’d get mauled over there playing normally as well. I don’t think it’s necessarily the case that everyone up until now has been wrong about the best way to play. Bazball is a strategy that’s been shaped to build on this England sides respective strengths and weaknesses. It’s possible that as T20 increasingly becomes king and players techniques and training regimens are increasingly built around honing the Root Scoop rather than the forward defensive that more sides will realise that Bazball also suits their skill sets best.

Shri

Mr. Glass
if eng bat one session tomorrow, aus probably only has to bat 2-3 sessions for the draw and the series win