• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

91Jmay

International Coach
Ponting was right wasn't he, when you put a bit of pressure on all of a sudden the pitch isn't quite as deadly. We bowled really well but the lack of attempt to shift the tempo in any way clearly wasn't good strategy earlier.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
So, irrespective of the bails on /bails off aspect, are we now dealing with yet another Bairstow error? This time being the nightmare scenario of giving Smith of all people a life due to his clumsiness? Those two decent innings out of 8 strike me as a ****ing high price to pay for his incompetence behind the stumps for most of the series.

91Jmay

International Coach
So, irrespective of the bails on /bails off aspect, are we now dealing with yet another Bairstow error? This time being the nightmare scenario of giving Smith of all people a life due to his clumsiness? Those two decent innings out of 8 strike me as a ****ing high price to pay for his incompetence behind the stumps.
I dunno, it's a tough take on the move with the ball on that angle. Not a massive mistake imo, leaving the catch earlier he bailed on was a much bigger error tbh.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ponting was right wasn't he, when you put a bit of pressure on all of a sudden the pitch isn't quite as deadly. We bowled really well but the lack of attempt to shift the tempo in any way clearly wasn't good strategy earlier.
The annoying thing is that this will be taken as an endorsement of scoring at 5-6rpo when had Australia scored at 3-3.5rpo it would have sufficed.

91Jmay

International Coach
The annoying thing is that this will be taken as an endorsement of scoring at 5-6rpo when had Australia scored at 3-3.5rpo it would have sufficed.
Yeah, the singles and strike rotation we had is the area we have been far better with our batting thus far. Although Aus fields do help that vs ours.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So, irrespective of the bails on /bails off aspect, are we now dealing with yet another Bairstow error? This time being the nightmare scenario of giving Smith of all people a life due to his clumsiness? Those two decent innings out of 8 strike me as a ****ing high price to pay for his incompetence behind the stumps for most of the series.
He has objectively cost waaaaaay more with the gloves than he has provided with the bat over what Foakes would have made

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I dunno, it's a tough take on the move with the ball on that angle. Not a massive mistake imo, leaving the catch earlier he bailed on was a much bigger error tbh.
Fair enough, I didn't see it, hence having to ask. I just think I'm in the mood for a scapegoat today.

91Jmay

International Coach
Cummins should average more than 16, very technically correct and balanced after he sees a few and a great striker of the ball obviously.

91Jmay

International Coach
Until Edgbaston he was lucky to be averaging 16 over the last few years
bowling captain probably got enough on his mind, he looks so correct when he bats and strikes it so cleanly.

Short stuff is a good point though as mentioned above

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Good old fashioned periscope shot. Broad looking good here. He might have a few years to go and a shot at Warne's wicket tally so arguably #1 depending on if you think the chucker was a chucker.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Should have had more of Wood on when Cummins came in. His got a defence the best way to get him out is to make him a bit uncomfortable with some bouncers and pace.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
bowling captain probably got enough on his mind, he looks so correct when he bats and strikes it so cleanly.

Short stuff is a good point though as mentioned above
It honestly looks like Cummins will be bowled or LBW whenever a straight ball is sent down

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
No, it was clearly out. Not Jonny's **** up this time.