• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Coronis

International Coach
Mate, I penned the bats in as they occurred to me. I write these sides down in approx order [esp the MO slots] for the wider purpose of debate. Stop being a pedant.
Shockingly, cricket convention has always been listing an XI in batting order. Anyone reading your post would assume you intend to bat them as written.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clearly the more pertinent dichotomy here is Atapattu Vs Karunaratne. Sanga and Jaya are the lockiest of locks in the SL all time XI. Atapattu was mostly a scorer of wanker runs, as much as a top order batsman can be anyway. He cashed in big, big time against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe when they were minnows. This is true of Karunaratne too but the only side that weak today is Ireland and he's played two tests against them. He has an equally middling record away but he's a lot more rocks and diamond so at least has quality centuries in India and SA. Karunaratne sticks out more in this era because the other openers to average 40+ long term (Warner and Latham) have less spectacular highs in tough circumstances though all 3 have been mostly crap when not bullying sides at home. Karunaratne had had tougher decks to bat on at home than Atapattu imo and has displayed a genuine mastery of turners. There's a reason he averages almost 50 at home. He's good there regardless of opposition quality which I don't think is true of Atapattu.

Last edited:

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Clearly the more pertinent dichotomy here is Atapattu Vs Karunaratne. Sanga and Jaya are the lockiest of locks in the SL all time XI. Atapattu was mostly a scorer of wanker runs, as much as a top order batsman can be anyway. He cashed in big, big time against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe when they were minnows. This is true of Karunaratne too but the only side that today is Ireland and he's played two tests against them. He has an equally middling record away but he's a lot more rocks and diamond so at least has quality centuries in India and SA. Karunaratne sticks out more in this era because the other openers to average 40+ long term (Warner and Latham) have less spectacular highs in tough circumstances though all 3 have been mostly crap when not bullying sides at home. Karunaratne had had tougher decks to bat on at home than Atapattu imo and has displayed a genuine mastery of turners. There's a reason he averages almost 50 at home. He's good there regardless of opposition quality which I don't think is true of Atapattu. Also Atapattu averaged more down the order.
Yeah Sri Lankan pitches have been spicier during Karunaratne's career.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Clearly the more pertinent dichotomy here is Atapattu Vs Karunaratne. Sanga and Jaya are the lockiest of locks in the SL all time XI. Atapattu was mostly a scorer of wanker runs, as much as a top order batsman can be anyway. He cashed in big, big time against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe when they were minnows. This is true of Karunaratne too but the only side that weak today is Ireland and he's played two tests against them. He has an equally middling record away but he's a lot more rocks and diamond so at least has quality centuries in India and SA. Karunaratne sticks out more in this era because the other openers to average 40+ long term (Warner and Latham) have less spectacular highs in tough circumstances though all 3 have been mostly crap when not bullying sides at home. Karunaratne had had tougher decks to bat on at home than Atapattu imo and has displayed a genuine mastery of turners. There's a reason he averages almost 50 at home. He's good there regardless of opposition quality which I don't think is true of Atapattu.
Yeah I really enjoyed watching Atapattu bat - technical purity 😍 - but Karunaratne is definitely better IMO.

kyear2

International Coach
Just watched over some of the Richie Benaud all time XI series

And sure it's been done before but interesting to look at "an updated" short list of every position.

Openers
Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton
Sunil Gavaskar
Herbert Sutcliffe
Bobby Simpson
Gordon Greenidge

No. 3
Donald Bradman
Wally Hammond
George Headley

Middle Order
Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Steve Smith
Graeme Pollock
Greg Chappell

All Rounder
Garry Sobers
Jacques Kallis
Keith Miller

Wicket keeper
Adam Gilchrist
Allan Knott
Kumar Sangakkara

Bowling All Rounder
Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Wasim Akram

Fast Bowlers
Malcolm Marshall
Glenn McGrath
Dale Steyn
Curtly Ambrose
Allan Donald
Dennis Lillee

Spinner
Shane Warne
Muttiah Muralitharan
Bill O'Reilly

Which group is the strongest? Who got snubbed? Frank Worrell, Allan Davidson, Graeme Smith?

Last edited:

Bolo.

International Captain

And sure it's been done before but interesting to look at a short list of every position.

Openers
Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton
Sunil Gavaskar
Herbert Sutcliffe
Bobby Simpson
Gordon Greenidge

No. 3
Donald Bradman
Wally Hammond
George Headley

Middle Order
Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Steve Smith
Graeme Pollock
Greg Chappell

All Rounder
Garry Sobers
Jacques Kallis
Keith Miller

Wicket keeper
Adam Gilchrist
Allan Knott
Kumar Sangakkara

Bowling All Rounder
Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Wasim Akram

Fast Bowlers
Malcolm Marshall
Glenn McGrath
Dale Steyn
Curtly Ambrose
Allan Donald
Dennis Lillee

Spinner
Shane Warne
Muttiah Muralitharan
Bill O'Reilly

Which group is the strongest? Who got snubbed? Frank Worrell, Allan Davidson, Graeme Smith?
Nobody really got snubbed, although there are a few players who would be just as at home on that list as some of the bottom picks. Barnes is probably the most notable exclusion.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd rather take out Simpson than include Smith because I don't think Simpson is necessarily better than Smith who isn't better than Sehwag/Hayden/Lawry/Boycott. The big 4 openers are distinctly better for me.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year

And sure it's been done before but interesting to look at a short list of every position.

Openers
Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton
Sunil Gavaskar
Herbert Sutcliffe
Bobby Simpson
Gordon Greenidge

No. 3
Donald Bradman
Wally Hammond
George Headley

Middle Order
Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Steve Smith
Graeme Pollock
Greg Chappell

All Rounder
Garry Sobers
Jacques Kallis
Keith Miller

Wicket keeper
Adam Gilchrist
Allan Knott
Kumar Sangakkara

Bowling All Rounder
Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Wasim Akram

Fast Bowlers
Malcolm Marshall
Glenn McGrath
Dale Steyn
Curtly Ambrose
Allan Donald
Dennis Lillee

Spinner
Shane Warne
Muttiah Muralitharan
Bill O'Reilly

Hi mate, where did you see this? Because that's a significantly updated shortlist from the one he originally produced.

Bolo.

International Captain
I'd rather take out Simpson than include Smith because I don't think Simpson is necessarily better than Smith who isn't better than Sehwag/Hayden/Lawry/Boycott. The big 4 openers are distinctly better for me.
Simpson and Greenidge are both a bit out of place there, and there aren't openers who should clearly replace them.

Border/Trueman/S pollock (and a few others) are all probably better calls in other categories if going for this exact number of players.