• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So take the initiative at the bat-firstiest ground outside of Asia, or go defensive and bowl because the pitch has a bit of stubble on it? Remind me what happened in 2015, 2019 and the WTC final?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
There's definitely some movement out there. Despite the good start, you can see a few wickets going in quick succession if the bowlers get it right.

social

Another absurd field *yawn*

I played with a couple of test bowlers & no way would they be happy with gifting singles every ball

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Man this looks like the best batting conditions of the series by miles.
I don't know. Conditions for our first innings at Edgbaston and Lord's were pretty friendly. Mind you, I am only following this on cricinfo.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So take the initiative at the bat-firstiest ground outside of Asia, or go defensive and bowl because the pitch has a bit of stubble on it? Remind me what happened in 2015, 2019 and the WTC final?
The reason why you should bat first on all but the greenest of wickets is that no-one will say “lol why did you bat first” if you collapsed. Yet everyone will say the latter if you can’t bowl a side out cheaply.

which when you think about it feels strange.

Starfighter

The reason why you should bat first on all but the greenest of wickets is that no-one will say “lol why did you bat first” if you collapsed. Yet everyone will say the latter if you can’t bowl a side out cheaply.

I don't think it's all that strange. By batting you have the initiative.

slowfinger

International Debutant
this series has been all about England actually. Australia have been so passive that they have basically said 'we're just going to allow England to dictate the game and when they **** up we'll be there'. The trouble is that England have gotten better and better through the series and if Australia continue to be this passive they could get smacked around today

91Jmay

International Coach

In fairness statistically bat first is a +ve winning % everywhere in the world as far as I am aware (57% overall) but yeah it is a cricket oddity the disparity of criticism.