• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank the World Cups

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
1992 first 2019 second 1996 and 2003 next rest don't really stand out to me.
Why is the 1983 win for India not regarded high? India and Kapil did it when no one gave them a chance against the mighty Windies. And it has been a massive trigger for the game's following in India and the complete domination over hockey.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Why is the 1983 win for India not regarded high? India and Kapil did it when no one gave them a chance against the mighty Windies. And it has been a massive trigger for the game's following in India and the complete domination over hockey.
I was not born then 😜 m ranking the ones i watched

Silver Silva

International Debutant
It was an emotion , it showed what we can do on the big stage, nobody thought this tiny Island can go on and claim the biggest prize but Sri Lanka did it , and we played entertaining cricket ..
Jayasuriya won POTT but really it should have been Aravinda De Silva. He was magical in this tournament..Playing the big knocks in the crunch games vs India in the semi final and final v Australia

In my opinion the greatest ODI side ever won this WC , but more importantly I liked it because it was probably the WC where we saw the fastest bowlers ever in their prime speed like Akthar , Lee , Bond etc they were bowling Mark Wood's pace as their average speed .. Then you had the last WC of legends like Wasim & Waqar , Allan Donald plus all time great performances from McGrath and Vaas ..Even underdogs thrived , Kenya making it to semi final

This the tournament when ODI batting went to another level of ball striking ..
This is when everybody knew ODI became a longer version of T20 ..In terms of entertainment from batting this was the best ..Sixes and fours galore but also great bowling from Starc and Boult ..Wahab Riaz spell to Shane Watson was memorable and that semi final between NZ vs SA one of the best games ever

This is my top 3 ..

Kirkut

International Regular
2003 was packed with ODI ATGs, almost the entire Aussie team, the Indian batting lineup, Kumble, Lara, Donald, Pollock, the Pakistani team and many more.

2011, 2015 and 2019 were nice too but do not hold the same special place as the 2003 World Cup did.

subshakerz

International Coach
2003 was packed with ODI ATGs, almost the entire Aussie team, the Indian batting lineup, Kumble, Lara, Donald, Pollock, the Pakistani team and many more.

2011, 2015 and 2019 were nice too but do not hold the same special place as the 2003 World Cup did.
Interesting. For me, the 2003 WC didn't live up to the hype simply because the semis and final were all one-sided.

subshakerz

International Coach
It was an emotion , it showed what we can do on the big stage, nobody thought this tiny Island can go on and claim the biggest prize but Sri Lanka did it , and we played entertaining cricket ..
Jayasuriya won POTT but really it should have been Aravinda De Silva. He was magical in this tournament..Playing the big knocks in the crunch games vs India in the semi final and final v Australia
Yeah there was somethin special about that WC. I actually think it transformed cricket tremendously by introducing SL as a force, shifting the attention of the modern game to the SC and had so many high profile moments.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
92 best followed by 19. Rest are much of a muchness but 99 was probably the one with the best game, that semi still tops the final in 19.

ma1978

International Debutant

I have vague memories of 1986 (Sunil Gavaskars uncharacteristically fast century and Chetan Sharma ls har trick) but too little to follow.

subshakerz

International Coach
From what I have seen:

Great World Cups:

WC 96 - High energy tournament from the beginning, SL became trendsetters, Tendulkar, Lara, and Warne lit the stage.

WC 2011 - So many close games throughout the tournament

WC 2019 - Generally high level of cricket throughout and best ever final

Bad World Cups:

2003: Pretty good group stage but semis and finals were disappointing

2007 - Just a disaster

Okay World Cups:

WC 99 - Slow boiler but lacked that magic energy except for the semi

WC - 2015 - Pretty good but lacked many close games.

Jumno

First Class Debutant
Best world cups

-1996: qf all great matches, both semi finals had their anti climax

-1987 wc: overall, the group stage wi Vs pak, Ind Vs aus, semis and finals had some good contests

-2003 wc: fairly open and had a few good matches such as the opening game

-2007 wc, interesting format, which saw India and Pak knocked out, a few good super 8 matches

-1992 world cup

Bad world cups:

-2015 wc: just a high scoring bonanza

Kirkut

International Regular
Interesting. For me, the 2003 WC didn't live up to the hype simply because the semis and final were all one-sided.
It has a more emotional connect for me, I was getting to watch my cricketing heroes live on TV and the South African grounds are beautiful.

2011, 2015, 2019 World Cups were entertaining but very few ATG cricketers in those tournaments compared to 2003 World Cup which was literally full of ODI ATGs from every team, maybe only Ambrose and Walsh missed out from that tournament.

1999 World Cup was kind of grim for me due to the dark phase of match fixing saga in Indian cricket.

2007 was meh..

1996 World Cup was nice too although I was very young to remember anything.

Last edited: