• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

Molehill

International Captain
Bairstow's keeping has actually got better through this Test, a noticeable improvement from looking average at the start of Day 1. It could be he was just not fit enough at the start of the series having come back from the leg break.

Yeah I was literally screaming at the telly to declare at lunch, damn it we needed that extra 1h 20 mins instead of nearly 100 more runs
Actually, I'm coming round to the fact it wasn't too bad. Bairstow was flying at the end, would we score runs any quicker in a 2nd dig than he did then? The last wicket added 66 runs in 8 overs. If you take 100 runs off our score then it probably means we'll have to bat again at some point. It also left the Aussies more demoralised, some of the wickets that fell were from tired and confused shots.

As for the weather, feeling a little more hopeful. Perhaps even a small chance of play this afternoon and definitely more chance for tomorrow now, looks like the worst will pass through earlier than previously expected.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My natural inclination is to agree with you, and he's not dissimilar to his dad in that respect. But, speaking of whom, Jonny's experience of losing his dad the way he did and at the age he did must have left a mark on his personality. Obviously that doesn't excuse his performances behind the stumps in this series, but I try to be a bit forgiving when he gets chippy about any criticism.
Yeah I must admit I take that into account when he reacts as he has here as well. Terrible thing for anyone to go through.

Having said that, his keeping has been generally dodgy most of the series and if you’re a pro athlete who declares yourself fit to do a job then you’re sort of expected to do it, extenuating circs nws.

Bijed

International Regular
Actually, I'm coming round to the fact it wasn't too bad. Bairstow was flying at the end, would we score runs any quicker in a 2nd dig than he did then? The last wicket added 66 runs in 8 overs. If you take 100 runs off our score then it probably means we'll have to bat again at some point. It also left the Aussies more demoralised, some of the wickets that fell were from tired and confused shots.

As for the weather, feeling a little more hopeful. Perhaps even a small chance of play this afternoon and definitely more chance for tomorrow now, looks like the worst will pass through earlier than previously expected.
Yeah, what we did yesterday wasn't ideal, but once we'd been (relatively, compared to what we might have hoped for) restricted in the morning session, the post-lunch bit quite possibly paid for itself due to how quickly we scored then. The dream was to declare at/before lunch of course, but if we'd done that in actuality, I doubt we would have bowled them out before they passed our score

Obviously if we get no play, batting on is going to look very stupid, but at the time everyone was expecting some play over the last 2 days tbf

Croadymeister

U19 Cricketer
Bairstow's keeping has actually got better through this Test, a noticeable improvement from looking average at the start of Day 1. It could be he was just not fit enough at the start of the series having come back from the leg break.

How I hope you are right because if we can't finish the job then that's our own fault,however the weather deciding it is frankly a farce

Croadymeister

U19 Cricketer
Yeah, what we did yesterday wasn't ideal, but once we'd been (relatively, compared to what we might have hoped for) restricted in the morning session, the post-lunch bit quite possibly paid for itself due to how quickly we scored then. The dream was to declare at/before lunch of course, but if we'd done that in actuality, I doubt we would have bowled them out before they passed our score

Obviously if we get no play, batting on is going to look very stupid, but at the time everyone was expecting some play over the last 2 days tbf
Were they actually expecting play though?

Molehill

International Captain

If we get no play for the next 2 days then the declaration is a moot point anyway as there was no chance of a victory on Day 3.

Croadymeister

U19 Cricketer
If we get no play for the next 2 days then the declaration is a moot point anyway as there was no chance of a victory on Day 3.
Not even declaring 30 mins before lunch admittedly with a strong possibility of having to bat again. Does feel that Stokes and Brook should have pushed it a little more on evening session of day 2

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
✍Not out at Completed innings

Boycott 99* vs aus

Steve Waugh 99* vs Eng

J. Bairstow 99* vs aus yesterday.

Shaun Pollock 99* SL

Andrew Hall(SA) 99* v eng

Misbah 99* vs wI

Tudor (E)- 99* v nz

Bradman 299* v eng

Sangakara 199* v pak

A. Flower 199*( Zim) v SA

(Nz Martin Crowe was 299 run out)

❤If shewag scored 7 more vs SA (293) he could become one & only test player with 3 Triple century in test

out on 99 in debut test🤣

Christiani

Asim Kamal ( pak)*

Chipperfield

*run out

halba

International 12th Man
That's it re weather. Likely 2-2 -I can't see a result other than this given the form guide. Good result for Aus considering and a bad one for England

England fully deserve the result given their ignorant selection tactics of not selecting a wicketkeeper. Two tests were blown purely on this selection tactic or lack thereof

Last edited:

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
✍Not out at Completed innings

Boycott 99* vs aus

Steve Waugh 99* vs Eng

J. Bairstow 99* vs aus yesterday.

Shaun Pollock 99* SL

Andrew Hall(SA) 99* v eng

Misbah 99* vs wI

Tudor (E)- 99* v nz

Bradman 299* v eng

Sangakara 199* v pak

A. Flower 199*( Zim) v SA

(Nz Martin Crowe was 299 run out)

❤If shewag scored 7 more vs SA (293) he could become one & only test player with 3 Triple century in test

out on 99 in debut test🤣

Christiani

Asim Kamal ( pak)*

Chipperfield

*run out
Not stranded but still, don't forget Warney, that was surely one of the better ones. Out for 99 off a no ball. :laugh:

Last edited:

Ali TT

International Regular
Met Office weather warning for the North West tomorrow

"Rain, heavy at times, through Sunday is likely to cause some disruption, particularly to outdoor events."

Lol, dunno what they could be referring too

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
You forgot Warney, that was surely one of the better ones. Out for 99 off a no ball. :laugh:

1- subject is 99 not out in completed innings

&

2 -99 on Debut

Warne best score was 99 in test
He was last out Legally by Umpire

Plus that was not debut test
So i not missed

Many other About 35 player dismissed in 90's on test debut between 90-99.

Sorry i do not missed him 😊