• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thoughts on Geoffrey Boycott?

Spofforth

School Boy/Girl Captain
His batting was the stuff of legend, it used to put the seagulls to sleep. Would be good if I could dislike him, but unfortunately I've tried and couldn't manage it. Something strangely likeable about him, a bit of a character.

Coronis

International Coach
convicted woman beater

hard to look past that when appraising what a 'national treasure' he is
Read Leo McKinstrey's book, one of which generally Sir Geoffrey did not approve - he completely dismantled Ms Moore's credibility
I'm not arguing with you that's an ugly episode and reflects terribly on the man.
Just from Wikipedia - not bothering to follow up on this rn.

In 2015, an investigation by the Daily Telegraph alleged that Moore had admitted to a friend she had slipped on a marble floor and hit her head, causing the injury she later claimed was caused by Boycott. The newspaper also discovered that Boycott's solicitor had been contacted by a representative of Moore, suggesting that the allegation would be dropped if he paid her £150,000. Boycott refused to pay the sum demanded, stating he "considered it to be blackmail". A separate incident documented in court papers also revealed Moore's barrister had demanded £1million from Boycott in return for her silence. Moore's lack of honesty has also been documented in other court cases relating to her business, when Mr Registrar James made a bankruptcy order against her he noted "a deliberate lack of truthfulness" in her evidence.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I'm sure I've posted it here before, and I'm not sure who said it originally (maybe Botham?), but it's said that Geoffrey is the only man in history who turns on the windscreen wipers so people can see in, rather than him being able to see out.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I recall an anecdote which explains Boycott's dour batting style.
It is said he remembers every shot he played that led to his dismissal and never played that shot again.

Ali TT

International Regular
I recall an anecdote which explains Boycott's dour batting style.
It is said he remembers every shot he played that led to his dismissal and never played that shot again.
Boycott's attitude unfortunately became something of a prevailing one in the English game. Better to not score runs than get out to anything remotely risky or flamboyant. Stonewalling became seen by some in the commentariat and fanbase as the key attribute of a first class cricketer, while fast scoring and the limited over formats were just "not cricket".

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
I don't know much Boycott's personal life so not gonna comment on that but I think he is an extremely underrated batsman. Easily the fifth greatest opener and the greatest English bat since Hutton.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Both Boycott being better than Root and Barrington being better than Root are meme opinions at this point. Not far off saying Bedser or Tate is better than Anderson.

Coronis

International Coach
Both Boycott being better than Root and Barrington being better than Root are meme opinions at this point. Not far off saying Bedser or Tate is better than Anderson.
Bout a year ago CW voted Barrington 20, Boycott 29 and Root 37. Perhaps it is you who is the meme.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bout a year ago CW voted Barrington 20, Boycott 29 and Root 37. Perhaps it is you who is the meme.
Actually Boycott over Root is fair enough. He had a very long career and was the cream of the crop for fairly long. His selfishness makes me not rate him as much as his numbers warrant but that's just me so I can see why he's rated highly. Barrington though, nah. Root has already played longer than him and has been the world's best batter for longer. This is a really tough era for batting so averages don't do Root justice imo.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm sure I've posted it here before, and I'm not sure who said it originally (maybe Botham?), but it's said that Geoffrey is the only man in history who turns on the windscreen wipers so people can see in, rather than him being able to see out.
Dennis Lillee supposedly once said "Geoffrey is the only fellow I've ever met who fell in love with himself at a young age and has remained faithful ever since".

thierry henry

International Coach
Better to not score runs than get out to anything remotely risky or flamboyant. Stonewalling became seen by some in the commentariat and fanbase as the key attribute of a first class cricketer, while fast scoring and the limited over formats were just "not cricket".
So you're saying he was completely right about what cricket is and must always be