• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

Spark

Global Moderator
Feels like Aus bowled well enough to get a few wickets there. Have to keep up that standard and maybe tighten up lines a bit more.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How many does Mo have to get to make the gamble of putting him #3 worthwhile? I'd say we're pretty close already.
Done his job if he lasts till lunch which he has. Hopefully we get past 20 overs minimum before Root comes in.

Superb session for us. 61-1 with such a pathetic top 3 according to all Aussies is bad use of the new ball

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Poms will definitely be the happier team there. I do think they rode their luck a bit though and Australia certainly are asking questions. But if this Top 3 could survive until lunch, the rest of the batting lineup might be able to go hard after lunch. Need a couple of quick wickets.

Owzat

U19 Captain
England robbed of a leg bye there!

On a serious note. Ball becomes dead, I suppose, when the umpire raises his finger?
based on this series it is when the aussies feel they can no longer dupe a wicket

laws I think when I read them back when CareyCad took place say when both sides say it is

20.1 Ball is dead

The ball becomes dead when

20.1.1.1 it is finally settled in the hands of the wicket-keeper or of the bowler.

20.1.1.2 a boundary is scored. See Law 19.7 (Runs scored from boundaries).

20.1.1.3 a batter is dismissed. The ball will be deemed to be dead from the instant of the incident causing the dismissal.

20.1.1.4 whether played or not it becomes trapped between the bat and person of a batter or between items of his/her clothing or equipment.

20.1.1.5 whether played or not it lodges in the clothing or equipment of a batter or the clothing of an umpire.

20.1.1.6 under either of Laws 24.4 (Player returning without permission) or 28.2 (Fielding the ball) there is an offence resulting in an award of Penalty runs. The ball shall not count as one of the over.

20.1.1.7 there is contravention of Law 28.3 (Protective helmets belonging to the fielding side).

20.1.1.8 the match is concluded in any of the ways stated in Law 12.9 (Conclusion of match).

20.1.2 The ball shall be considered to be dead when it is clear to the bowler’s end umpire that the fielding side and both batters at the wicket have ceased to regard it as in play.

20.2 Ball finally settled

Whether the ball is finally settled or not is a matter for the umpire alone to decide.

so technically when Carey had the ball in his gloves the umpire could have decided it was "finally settled" and therefore "becomes dead".......

bit like football some of the laws are far too open to interpretation, not as many but still

Spark

Global Moderator
based on this series it is when the aussies feel they can no longer dupe a wicket

laws I think when I read them back when CareyCad took place say when both sides say it is

20.1 Ball is dead

The ball becomes dead when

20.1.1.1 it is finally settled in the hands of the wicket-keeper or of the bowler.

20.1.1.2 a boundary is scored. See Law 19.7 (Runs scored from boundaries).

20.1.1.3 a batter is dismissed. The ball will be deemed to be dead from the instant of the incident causing the dismissal.

20.1.1.4 whether played or not it becomes trapped between the bat and person of a batter or between items of his/her clothing or equipment.

20.1.1.5 whether played or not it lodges in the clothing or equipment of a batter or the clothing of an umpire.

20.1.1.6 under either of Laws 24.4 (Player returning without permission) or 28.2 (Fielding the ball) there is an offence resulting in an award of Penalty runs. The ball shall not count as one of the over.

20.1.1.7 there is contravention of Law 28.3 (Protective helmets belonging to the fielding side).

20.1.1.8 the match is concluded in any of the ways stated in Law 12.9 (Conclusion of match).

20.1.2 The ball shall be considered to be dead when it is clear to the bowler’s end umpire that the fielding side and both batters at the wicket have ceased to regard it as in play.

20.2 Ball finally settled

Whether the ball is finally settled or not is a matter for the umpire alone to decide.

so technically when Carey had the ball in his gloves the umpire could have decided it was "finally settled" and therefore "becomes dead".......

bit like football some of the laws are far too open to interpretation, not as many but still
Thank you for declaring that you believe stumpings should be removed from the game.

Owzat

U19 Captain
I can't see us declaring today, will bat all day and then check the weather tomorrow. Maybe pull out half hour before lunch with a big lead and put the pressure on. No point risking stuff and needing more runs batting last.
I'm not suggesting I can't see Stokes declaring today, they're so far up bazballs Rs they seem to have lost all sense of sense....

but I agree, not sure they'll gain anything declaring unless they are like 150+ ahead or play is so close to the end and so many wickets down there's no gain from batting on

all does of course depend on how the game progresses from here, if England are behind then no sense declaring just to have a go at the batsmen for a few overs, if they're a little ahead they might declare but they still need to score more runs than the aussies even if only ONE so no sense giving up any decent batting position like they did 1st Test, if they're ahead by some then again would decide if their momentum favours batting on or declaring, but given bazballs are England really likely to grind out runs even 8 down like they did when Yawn batted on long enough to let the Indians escape and win the series 1-0 (something l like 9 down at the death and a lot of runs short, England I think added like 20 runs off 10 overs, 10 overs even without hindsight more valuable to bowl with than bat)

Owzat

U19 Captain
Thank you for declaring that you believe stumpings should be removed from the game.
yeah, nice spin but total BS inference

Bairstow was going to talk to his partner at the end of the over, not playing a shot or remained out of his crease when the ball had passed him then casually walked further out instead of going back, grounding bat and then talking to his partner.

Thank you for declaring you are an aussie

Owzat

U19 Captain
Poms will definitely be the happier team there. I do think they rode their luck a bit though and Australia certainly are asking questions. But if this Top 3 could survive until lunch, the rest of the batting lineup might be able to go hard after lunch. Need a couple of quick wickets.
still a lot to play for, no match is won 61/1 and 256 runs behind much like excitement at a team being say 100/1 chasing a target of 350 is a bit premature, plenty of time to take wickets and score runs

Spark

Global Moderator
yeah, nice spin but total BS inference

Bairstow was going to talk to his partner at the end of the over, not playing a shot or remained out of his crease when the ball had passed him then casually walked further out instead of going back, grounding bat and then talking to his partner.

Thank you for declaring you are an aussie
Is the ball settled in the keeper's gloves during a regulation stumping or not?