• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stumped!

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain
This is what I hate about the stumped engine...
If this was Nick Smith taking my bowlers apart to win the game, I would not mind losing.

But to basically have two youngsters with no real observable skills that have likely been put on a 8/9 attacking skill and because the engine promotes attacking as better than playing circumstances the partnership of these two youngsters have likely lost the game for me... if I lose to a high skilled batsmen I don't care. The consistency of the engine promoting this sort of play bothers me.

But the consistency of winning/losing games to unexpected and statistically unlikely partnerships and low skill players is truly demoralizing in games where monies is everything and relegation can kill a team. And before anybody says that this happens in cricket... the whole point is it should be the exception not the norm, maybe once a season this should happen, not every second or third game.

And you can overcome it... by having a team that has far greater skill than the opponent, and this normalizes near the top where everybody has good teams. But if you are building the team and need monies because its truly the only way to become a competitive team in the long run, it hurts.
Ok took me a while to understand this gripe . Firstly on skills the two teams in question was very close in ratings and thus the game would be close and determined by smaller entities .

For me this game was won by your opponents bowling not batting , Their batting was more consistent over the coarse of their game than yours however this is also a reflection on your bowlers not doing what they suppose to , an absolute shocker by the one member in your team that Damien Moore capitulated this point .

This also brings me to another point here that consistency etc in stumped is based on experience . Your group and the member in question is young and will improve in this manner with the experience becoming higher , around 15 you will see a visible difference IMO . Your opponent had one member that was inexperienced however benefitted greatly from playing conditions being in favor of a wrist spinner also shown by your best performer a wrist spinner with figures of 3 for 17 in 3,2. In contrast your team only had a handful of players above 10 experience with your best performing bat being one .

I firmly believe the inconsistency your experiencing is due to having inexperienced players in senior games . However that's just my humbled opinion , if i misunderstood something or more is needed please let me know . I tried hard to understand the entire gripe but struggled a bit , just looked at the game from my view point and explained how i saw the result .

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't necessarily agree re: experience. There's no reason for Azam to be as good as he is if that's the case

StephenZA

Ok took me a while to understand this gripe . Firstly on skills the two teams in question was very close in ratings and thus the game would be close and determined by smaller entities .

For me this team was won by your opponents bowling not batting , Their batting was more consistent over the coarse of their game that yours however this is also a reflection on your bowlers not doing what they suppose to , an absolute shocker by the one member in your team that Damien Moore capitulated this point .

This also brings me to another point here that consistency etc in stumped is based on experience . Your group and the member in question is young and will improve in this manner with the experience becoming higher , around 15 you will see a visible difference IMO . Your opponent had one member that was inexperienced however benefitted greatly from playing conditions being in favor of a wrist spinner also shown by your best performer a wrist spinner with figures of 3 for 17 in 3,2. In contrast your team only had a handful of players above 10 experience with your best performing bat being one .

I firmly believe the inconsistency your experiencing is due to having inexperienced players in senior games . However that's just my humbled opinion , if i misunderstood something or more is needed please let me know . I tried hard to understand the entire gripe but struggled a bit , just looked at the game from my view point and explained how i saw the result .
This I believe is likely the biggest issue, and I am aware of it... my 2nd post goes into more detail why I don't like it... and no nothing is going to change because I get frustrated by this.

By the way my primary team the TMOs won today... when they probably should not based on experience considering the two players who won it for me batting wise are my least experienced players.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the T20 matches are bit of an anomaly...

For the second consecutive week, my affiliate GG CC, punched above their weight and etched out convincing wins.

Last week, Sibtain Hassan (a green youth), picked up 3 wickets in an over...today though, the usual suspects (Bram Human, Sanigepalli, etc) stepped. The morale is superb!

Sitting at the top of the standings

StephenZA

T20 are more of an anomaly and so are the development games... SOD tend to be a bit more predictable overall. Its also the format I as a manager tend to do the best in with my teams overall. And for me it is because it is more predictable.

SillyCowCorner1

I tend to look at match conditions very carefully. It's one of the things that I prioritize before setting my orders. I know, that this might seem elementary, but I like the idea of setting orders...and not sticking to a set one. Specialization reigns supreme, even if the player is not high up on the skill level but has a high potential. I love that.

I am very enthusiastic about this.

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain
This I believe is likely the biggest issue, and I am aware of it... my 2nd post goes into more detail why I don't like it... and no nothing is going to change because I get frustrated by this.

By the way my primary team the TMOs won today... when they probably should not based on experience considering the two players who won it for me batting wise are my least experienced players.
So on experience , the way I understand it is pressure management and consistency on the RNG for skills thus the more experience the lower the fluxuation on what that RNG pool has to work with . So dev is less pressure than senior games . Its not the most important stat and honestly the way it was used comparing two players isn't entirely accurate as the higher skill player will do better however the randomness is due to the RNG range , its comparing 4,35,18,0,95,17,12,35,85 to 31,45,12,59,40,35,17,50,20 . The average is close but you will rather the second option on consistency .

On the second game your referring to it was a all senior side so i take experience is 10 or higher or closer to 15 on average , And i am not sure who you referring to in that game but for me your match winners was Lorkin that turned around a high pressure position where team was set in a batting collapse and Davidson which massacred 44 of 17 dropping required rate and pressure .I will be incredibly surprised if Davidson is not more experienced than most or if not all of the first game provided if i look at his consistency .

The reason i like the experience penalty it doesn't allow teams to bank and rinse , a strategy that i despise , where a top team sells off entire squad buys youngsters and camps , there is a penalty to using youngsters in senior matches and if you balance out your team this reflects .

I am one that understand your frustration as ive experienced inconsistency with a great squad however after racking my brain i believe it was due to the influential trait on captain , and i now try and stay away completely from traits that affect the whole team negatively in any way as it has a insane affect on RNG IMO .

Stumped is incredibly complicated and why i like it . RNG also makes it more simulation and i like that too as it feels more like real cricket and unpredictable .

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain
Don't necessarily agree re: experience. There's no reason for Azam to be as good as he is if that's the case
Many more factors contribute not just experience or skills or characteristics or style or game situation or position or conditions and so on and so forth .

cnerd123

likes this
My complaint was not that I lost the match... its how the match was lost.

The problem with that sort of erratic match engine behaviour is how do you plan a game? How do you plan a strategy? How do you determine whether a player is worth something or not...
There are T20 Franchises that would pay you millions if you could answer those questions IRL!

All you can do is put players out on the park with a set of strategies that you feel will give you the best chance of a win against that opposition in those conditions. You can't do anything to guarantee a win. Even the Thrashings lose some times. That's just how cricket works haha

StephenZA

There are T20 Franchises that would pay you millions if you could answer those questions IRL!

All you can do is put players out on the park with a set of strategies that you feel will give you the best chance of a win against that opposition in those conditions. You can't do anything to guarantee a win. Even the Thrashings lose some times. That's just how cricket works haha
Not Chennai...

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain
I tend to look at match conditions very carefully. It's one of the things that I prioritize before setting my orders. I know, that this might seem elementary, but I like the idea of setting orders...and not sticking to a set one. Specialization reigns supreme, even if the player is not high up on the skill level but has a high potential. I love that.

I am very enthusiastic about this.
Very likely the reason you get wins over higher ranked opponents . Two of the most difficult aspects to master or get correct consistently IMO not to mention balance .

StephenZA

I am one that understand your frustration as ive experienced inconsistency with a great squad however after racking my brain i believe it was due to the influential trait on captain , and i now try and stay away completely from traits that affect the whole team negatively in any way as it has a insane affect on RNG IMO .

Stumped is incredibly complicated and why i like it . RNG also makes it more simulation and i like that too as it feels more like real cricket and unpredictable .
I understand you like the RNG part. But I don't like that for example a single trait effected your whole team so detrimentally. I think that is overly punishing... it also shows how much an effect rng has on a match. I'm just not as much of a fan of that aspect.

And I will add... that near the top this is less about pure wide rng, and yes those little choices between great/good teams that allows that part of stumped to reflect probably a more real cricket aspect. But when you not there and the rng seems to kick you around often it is demoralizing.

Krypto

U19 Vice-Captain
I understand you like the RNG part. But I don't like that for example a single trait effected your whole team so detrimentally. I think that is overly punishing... it also shows how much an effect rng has on a match. I'm just not as much of a fan of that aspect.

And I will add... that near the top this is less about pure wide rng, and yes those little choices between great/good teams that allows that part of stumped to reflect probably a more real cricket aspect. But when you not there and the rng seems to kick you around often it is demoralizing.
Point made on the affect and agree , its a double edge sword for me tough , on top leagues it was very frustrating having horrible losses and inconsistent performances that ended up in me being relegated from div one with a team that was 68k rated on average . I feel everyone feels this and i also believe everyone that has been on stumped for 5 seasons or more has experienced this in some form or another , there was so many complaints they tried to change the engine however that was even worse than original and it was suppose to address the inconsistency etc .

You will have highs and lows , the community is great and here its even better I'm sure if we discuss things it will benefit all . There is so many ways to try and address problems . I for one had one where I struggled with getting a insane batting lineup to perform the way I want and was so focused on the players , positions etc. that I posted and someone suggested making my home ground more of a difficult ground to bat on than the flat track that I taught will benefit a batting lineup that was insane . and i did it and immediately had a impact when my team chased high scores consistently. Still lost and other irregularities and so on but was able to get a better approach by reaching out . .

SillyCowCorner1

Very likely the reason you get wins over higher ranked opponents . Two of the most difficult aspects to master or get correct consistently IMO not to mention balance .
The only problem I have is that my team doesn't have too many skilled players. I have been dwelling on mediocrity for a while now. I refuse to spend ridiculous sums of money on the market. I prefer to develop my own players rather than being a franchise owner.

(I dished out 298K for Mike Hodgeson just last week...and $92K for Chris Jackson, someone with barely any skills.)

ataraxia

International Coach
Experience seems to be least important for top-order bats. They (Simmonds, Zahid for me) tend to enter the senior SOD side relatively before aggressive bats, especially, at a similar stage.

New recruit for Mooooo CC.

View attachment 36545

A 16 year old without a hobby. Should I be worried?

His potentials have allowed me to put Farrukh Hannan on the TM. GG CC is looking to have him on their team, so the bid is currently at $1,000
Excellent all-rounder there

SillyCowCorner1

Experience seems to be least important for top-order bats. They (Simmonds, Zahid for me) tend to enter the senior SOD side relatively before aggressive bats, especially, at a similar stage.

Excellent all-rounder there
Thanks, I should train him to be a more attacking batsman. A spinning all-rounder batting in the lower-middle order. Finisher!