• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

mackembhoy

International Debutant
With the current squad I'd put Mo at 3 as Root clearly doesn't seem to want to there and its a waste to put Brook there when he's so better suited to bat at 5.

It's far from ideal but probably the least bad option.
Mo has probably played more FC games than anyone else in the squad in the top 3.

I know it's not the same as test match and a long time since he's done it regularly. But you weaken a better player in Root,Brook or Stokes by batting them 3.

Only option they have. Fair play to Mo if he does a job there for the rest of the series.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The thing is…I’m not sure his average is moving much.

Question is who’s more valuable - someone like Crawley who averages around 30 by hitting fairly consistent scores that are starts and nothing more. Or someone like Burns who averages not much more but does so with much more inconsistent scores eg more likely to get a ton but also more likely to get out for single figures?

Haven’t done the stats work to see if the above is a fair summary but it’s my perception. If said perception is correct I think Crawley is the better option, given the way we play.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Question is who’s more valuable - someone like Crawley who averages around 30 by hitting fairly consistent scores that are starts and nothing more. Or someone like Burns who averages not much more but does so with much more inconsistent scores eg more likely to get a ton but also more likely to get out for single figures?

Haven’t done the stats work to see if the above is a fair summary but it’s my perception. If said perception is correct I think Crawley is the better option, given the way we play.
Didn't the English selectors famously use a metric of who is likely to get to 30 when selecting their side?

Either way, I have always said Crawley has more upside than any other young English batsman I have seen in the last 8 years or so, probably with the exception of Brook. His problem is when he either tries to bat like a Sehwag or when he tries to play too many drives without waiting for the ball to come to him and for him to get his eye in. If he can work on both, and basically only play his shots and not try to play too many, he can be a very good batsman for England.

There is also the caveat of adding 5 to the openers' averages given the tough job they have to do compared to MO batters.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

I agree. Whilst it would be helpful if he kicked on from time to time, I prefer the current situation where Root is rarely coming in at 10 for 2. I read somewhere that Crawley averages 70 against Cummins, which, as I said before, is something of a plus when you're opening the batting against Australia. And who are the alternatives anyway? One other thing is that Crawley's catching in the slips seems to have become more reliable this summer.

mustardcharlie

School Boy/Girl Captain
ment
Foakes and Potts not in the squad and Bairstow a lock so you can lose 3 names
Agreed, With so many people calling for Bairstow's head though, thought I'd put them in. Potts has, I think, been on the field as sub, so must be around. If eg Robinson is out of the series then he would be a natural replacement. If Broad and Wood are fit they are surely "locks" Woakes did enough to justify selection. So who do you pick?

slowfinger

International Debutant
I don't get why Potts has been given the cold shoulder, whenever he's played for England he's looked more than capable to me

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I don’t think he’s been given the cold shoulder, they just prefer the others.
I think so. iirc Robinson replaced Potts in the 2nd tests against SA last summer. Was Woakes even fit then? And obviously Wood brings some much needed pace to the attack. I suppose that Tongue is the one who's leap-frogged Potts this summer.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

With England playing the way they do, Crawley is your guy every time. He's frustrating, but gee the guy can play cricket shots. He has a pretty solid technique, just hasn't shown he knows how to score Test runs. I could always see why they continued to back him in, especially with no bonafide challengers. I bet he absolutely smashes it in the nets (yes, I know, nets). England will and should keep backing him in as their 'Bazball' guy, although after a while if he's shown no willingness to convert starts, you'd have to rethink it.