• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Niall

International Coach
I want Svitolina to win now but don't think she has the firepower to get past either Sabalenka or Rybakina on grass...
Interestingly she is outsider v Vond in the semi but its close betting wise.

I would not mind her winning but yeah if Rybakina or Saba are in the zone then one of those will win.

I Suppose the concern with Ryb she has had plenty of luck so far, Cornet physically was not at her best and obviously Maia broke down so early and she had a bye v Boulter. Fascinating to see the rematch v Jabeur tomorrow.

Wasn't impressed with Saba until Yesterday where she pounded Alexandrova.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I don't really follow this to any great extent, but her last couple of games suggest to me that you'll have to go a very long way to find a more appealing sportsperson than Elina Svitolina. Just seems a lovely person. Apparently the Wimbledon crowd absolutely adore her, which I can compltely understand.
She is a lovely person but it's also because of the situation in Ukraine and how she wears her love for her country on her sleeve...

As a side issue, the womens' game seems completely dominated by Eastern Europeans nowadays. I have no problem with that, but can anyone offer a view how that became a thing?
I don't think it's a new thing though. Swiatek has been a big presence on the circuit for 2-3 years...so has Sabalenka and since last year, Rybakina as well. There does seem to be a lot of young Russians, Ukranians and other citizens of former Soviet countries who are inserting themselves into the conversation. Barty/Serena's retirement, Osaka's mental issues and voluntary break etc have also contributed to this. We still have Pegula and Gauff around the top of the rankings but increasingly Eastern Europe is the happening place for women's tennis...

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't really follow this to any great extent, but her last couple of games suggest to me that you'll have to go a very long way to find a more appealing sportsperson than Elina Svitolina. Just seems a lovely person. Apparently the Wimbledon crowd absolutely adore her, which I can compltely understand.

As a side issue, the womens' game seems completely dominated by Eastern Europeans nowadays. I have no problem with that, but can anyone offer a view how that became a thing?
Reece Topley would probably disagree. Doubt she follows the Ashes anymore.

Yeah I probably want her to win, but I like Marketa, too, huge talent who would have won a few slams if not for injury IMHO.

I really think anyone in the draw could win it massive plusses and minuses for all of them, unlike the mens which is a procession...

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting to see Swiatek wearing the Ukraine colours on her cap, and a lovely gesture towards her opponent. I totally approve of course, but is she likely to be in trouble for such a blatantly political statement?

Niall

International Coach
Interesting to see Swiatek wearing the Ukraine colours on her cap, and a lovely gesture towards her opponent. I totally approve of course, but is she likely to be in trouble for such a blatantly political statement?

She has done it for a really long time and nothing has happened.

She seems like a good egg yeah.

Anyway Sinner v Novak is the first known semi final, should be a cracker Sinner took the 1st two sets in their quarter final last year.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Eubanks despite having the thinnest legs of a top sportsman I’ve seen is really putting Medvedev under pressure

it’s 1-1 in sets and a break to eubanks in the third . medvedev won the first set

Niall

International Coach
Now that Rybakina is out, Sabalenka should have safe passage all the way to her 2nd slam.
Handing out a few trashing's is Saba, suppose the French semi final meltdown is a reminder she can always blow up and CC against Jabeur who will have the crowd is not easy but she does seem like the inform player.

Ladies semi finals later hopefully deliver.