• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time Asian-XI

ataraxia

International Coach
imo we should ignore Hobbs’ last 7 years cos these other blokes weren’t playing past 40.
We should.

But he was... good enough to score almost 100 FC centuries after that.

Hence, Hobbs very good.

Thank you for listening to my TED talk.

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
ding dong, Kumble w/o ban, zim and wi averages 39 in Tests away games. Same era where warne averaged 24 in away games w/o benefiting from indian tracks. World class stuff

subshakerz

International Coach
i can agree to be neutral on your other points, but firsty kumble is not world class if no one is even willing to have him over ashwin and jadeja. Secondly kumble is not leagues ahead when the stats are literally the same as shakib. From what pov did you define Kumble as a better quality bowler?
Hmm we can agree to disagree on Kumble. As a pure all-round spinner, he is India's best and the best of the SC outside Murali. However, maybe worldclass is subjective so I can take back that term.

Migara

International Coach
Gilly was not only safe but he also was superbly acrobatic, creating catches out of nowhere in a way Sanga could not. He had to stretch when it came to the waywardness of express speedsters like Lee and Tait.

Plus he had the unenviable task of following up with Healy in building a dynamic with Warne, and did that excellently. His stumping speed was fantastic.
Well, Sanga did take somne ridiculous good takes and some stumping of highest class. In ODIs I would rate him comfortably above Gilchrist, because he kept to all types of bowlers. 150k slingers, 145k tall bowlers who spray it around, stood up to Vaas, read Murali's variations, handled Ajantha Mendis etc. Gilchrist never had that challenge. While rating Gilchrist as a better test keeper than Sanga, I would rate Sanga >Dhoni > Gilchrist for the batsmen keepers in ODIs.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Well, Sanga did take somne ridiculous good takes and some stumping of highest class. In ODIs I would rate him comfortably above Gilchrist, because he kept to all types of bowlers. 150k slingers, 145k tall bowlers who spray it around, stood up to Vaas, read Murali's variations, handled Ajantha Mendis etc. Gilchrist never had that challenge. While rating Gilchrist as a better test keeper than Sanga, I would rate Sanga >Dhoni > Gilchrist for the batsmen keepers in ODIs.

Sangakkara , so many challenges for a keeper in a Sri Lankan team with the unorthodox nature of their bowlers and especially on the subcontinent , ..Muralitharan producing numerous varieties from his unique action , then there was the leg breaks of Chandana , mystery spin of Ajantha Mendis ..Standing up to Chaminda Vaas , the round arm action of Malinga ...The unpredictable nature of fast bowlers like Dilhara Fernando and Nissanka .. Sangakkara dealt with it expertly with the gloves .
close enough

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
Hmm we can agree to disagree on Kumble. As a pure all-round spinner, he is India's best and the best of the SC outside Murali. However, maybe worldclass is subjective so I can take back that term.
herath, saqlain, ashwin and qadir all four SC spinners are better than kumble. Kumble is just relevant due to playing so many games, luckily which he could because India had no world class bowlers. Seriously in the easiest spin era, this man averaged 39 away. Did nothing great in ODIs either to show his quality. Overrated, one venue pony sorry

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
Sangakkara not requiring to be so flashy shows how good his positioning was considering he had safe hands. Regardless when it was required he was a good diver with good reach

subshakerz

International Coach
Of course you would.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sangakkara is a massively overrated batsman in ODIs. Strike rate of 78 when a huge part of it is in the big bat patta pitch era is mediocre af. Nowhere near dhoni and Gilchrist in odis.

number11

State Regular
herath, saqlain, ashwin and qadir all four SC spinners are better than kumble. Kumble is just relevant due to playing so many games, luckily which he could because India had no world class bowlers. Seriously in the easiest spin era, this man averaged 39 away. Did nothing great in ODIs either to show his quality. Overrated, one venue pony sorry
Herath may well be Asia's 2nd best spinner. Definitely the best ever of his type.

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
Maybe Controversial, but from my era adjusting methods and points system, the best ODI keeper-batsmen were
  1. ABD
  2. Bairstow
  3. Dhoni
  4. Buttler
  5. Gilchrist
  6. Sangakkara

the difference between gilc and sang was just decimals, so they are basically equals in this format

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe Controversial, but from my era adjusting methods and points system, the best ODI keeper-batsmen were
  1. ABD
  2. Bairstow
  3. Dhoni
  4. Buttler
  5. Gilchrist
  6. Sangakkara

the difference between gilc and sang was just decimals, so they are basically equals in this format
Incredibly controversial. Sanga was an ATG test batter, but probably only Sri Lanka's 5th or 6th best ODI bat. Bairstow has only kept in 17 out of 95 ODIs, so shouldn't be on this list. AB at least kept in 59 ODIs and averaged 70.5, so that is fine. However, he was a genius fielder (and 6th/7th/8th bowler), so I'd exclude him and go:

Dhoni and Gilchrist 1st =
Buttler and QDK 3rd =

Sanga, M Rahim, Flower, Hope (needs to improve s/r) in contention for 5th

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
1.S Gavaskar
2.V Sehwag
3.R Dravid
4.S Tendulkar
5.Y Khan / J Miandad
6.K Sangakkara (WK)
7.R Jadeja / K Dev
8.I Khan
9.W Akram
10.W Younis
11.M Muralitharan

Socerer 01

International Captain
  1. ABD
  2. Bairstow
  3. Dhoni
  4. Buttler
  5. Gilchrist
  6. Sangakkara

your points system underrates strike rate if so, Gilchrist had a much better one compared to most openers of his time and among equals he had the slight average lead over Sanath while being more aggressive and Sehwag is the other close. only McCullum had a better strike rate and average but his sample size was smaller, he started his career later like Sehwag and he benefitted from a period of adjustment to odis in another position before opening

Gilchrist in odis is rated very highly for a reason