• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If this is true: "“The support for Gary was overwhelmingly positive – from the players, the BLACKCAPS support staff, Major Association coaches and support staff, as well as the New Zealand Cricket Players Association and NZC High Performance Unit staff."

...then it's hard to find an argument that would be stronger than that. All of those different groups were in favour of the status quo. I mean, I obviously find that sad and frustrating, but if they really think that then why would they appoint anyone else?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Stead reappointed for 2 more years

What the ****?

This is a guy who four months ago, said the national coaching role needs to be split, and if it was deemed he couldn't offer anymore, he'd walk away a happy man.

Are we that certain there is no one better interested in the role?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Tewatiya said he drew a lot of inspiration from Ravindra. "He is like me, and he's playing for the Black Caps. He inspires me because if he can do it, I can also do it."
The power of representation

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

Shockingly unshocking. But very deflating.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty disheartening, really. Even if you're generous in your assessment of the job he's done overall, surely a fresh perspective could do the team some good.

RMBolton

U19 Debutant

Damn. I was looking forward to Fulton vs Aldridge. At this rate, are they waiting for Malan to finish with Ireland? I guess Larsen & Jurgensen allow for a bit of a refresh, but still.

ataraxia

International Coach
If this is true: "“The support for Gary was overwhelmingly positive – from the players, the BLACKCAPS support staff, Major Association coaches and support staff, as well as the New Zealand Cricket Players Association and NZC High Performance Unit staff."

...then it's hard to find an argument that would be stronger than that. All of those different groups were in favour of the status quo. I mean, I obviously find that sad and frustrating, but if they really think that then why would they appoint anyone else?
What I will add is that positive feedback isn't exactly the same as him being the preferred option. Like, these groups would feel rather silly to say "eh, he's okay I guess" after winning a WC and WTC, even if they think it's time for a change.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What I will add is that positive feedback isn't exactly the same as him being the preferred option. Like, these groups would feel rather silly to say "eh, he's okay I guess" after winning a WC and WTC, even if they think it's time for a change.
The word used was overwhelmingly. That doesn't apply a making do, but a ringing endorsement.

And if they can't see the malaise of the last 12-18 months is a noticeable decline from the WTC high, then so be it. If they can't tell leadership the truth - or (as seems likely) this is their truth, then they're getting what they effectively want.

Flem274*

123/5
It sorta makes sense. Stead will mean job security for an aging squad.

In 2-4 years when Southee/Williamson/Conway are gone and NZ cricket is a smoking crater, we can all remember how good a decision this was.
Yeah Stead couldn't drop a burning coal. The in-group know he provides total job security.