• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test (Headingley, Leeds) 6–10 July

Croadymeister

U19 Cricketer
The main difference between the sides really just is attention to detail all around. I do wonder if they've let it go too far in the name of feel good and relaxed atmosphere and someone needs to inject a little bit of Langerism and enforce a few standards. The drops, the mountain of extras, the loose wickets - all products less of a lack of skill than more a lack of discipline.
Another fantastic post and yeah there definitely seems to be too much of a friendly atmosphere

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The "approach" turned a good, but severely under-performing side, into a very capable one. But like all approaches it has it's limitations and this approaches' limitations come up against sides that are more evenly matched, and cannot be dominated ( i.e. the top of world Test cricket, Australia, and probably India too ).

Grit, caginess, and respect for opposition are concepts that are not just there for show. They're consistently the approach of the sides that can win marquee matchups at the highest level. Carefree has it's day, but it's not down 2-0 on day 2 of a Test on a tricky pitch, with an attainable run score posted by the opposition after some good work from the bowling.
We did beat India, Bumrah included, albeit a single Test.

I think people are over-simplifying.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
People forgot that England drew with a very weak Kiwi side in their last series

More stupidity ugh

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
Easy to become really negative and hateful. Oz have bowled well - obviously a couple of the dismissals are poor. But if we catch Marsh yesterday then we probably have a lead now and that's cost us time and again this series.

We've gone away from what made the last 12 months a success IMO. I know some people think it proves it was all a myth, but I don't see a side playing like they were last summer, in terms of approach.
Yeah lots of OTT takes here today from both sets of supporters but that's probably to be expected when Aus are on the brink of winning their first overseas Ashes in 22 years.

England have made some bad selection choices and are guilty of some poor play at key moments. Their two main bowlers coming into the series (Anderson and Robinson) have both been below their best. And the series scoreline could still have been flipped if England had taken their catches. Australia are a really strong side and us losing to them is hardly grounds to rip up the whole England team and coaching staff that had wildly overdelivered up to this point.