• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test (Headingley, Leeds) 6–10 July

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Honors even on the 1st day...in fact I would say England are slightly ahead because their three best bats are not out as of now...
Nah.. Aus got an above par score and I would say England lost one more wicket than when it would have been even.

Had Aus been bowled out for say, 245 and England been 60/2, it would have been even. Australia have had the better of the day, by very slight margin, AFAIC.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
@honestbharani As far as I can see, Root, Bairstow hanging on until stumps with Stokes yet to come is a much bigger deal than the 3 wickets they lost today...and the Aus score is average at best...I get that it hasn't been an easy wicket to bat on but there is an 18 run difference between 245 and 263, what is the logic for one being below par and the other above?

loterry1994

International Debutant
Question for you guys out there. Who lost out on the position the most?

1) England who had Aus for like 4 for what 60 odd and looked like maybe bowling them out under 180

2) Aus who were like 240 odd for 4 and looking like making 350 plus just before tea

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Aus lost more I believe...that was quite a collapse after what looked like a nice recovery in session 2...

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant

1) England who had Aus for like 4 for what 60 odd and looked like maybe bowling them out under 180

2) Aus who were like 240 odd for 4 and looking like making 350 plus just before tea
England for sure ..
Australia do not get to 240 odd if England hold on to their catches , basics have cost England a lot in this series.

The collapse of Australia was facilitated by Mark Wood's pace , there is no substitute for it when someone can bowl 150 plus with accuracy it can change any game , Australia's lower order could not handle it .

CartyDurham

International Captain

2 for me . To get rid of 6 wickets for 23 with a man unbeaten on 118 is the superior moment of the day . It looked like Australia would still be batting tomorrow at that stage

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!

England

CartyDurham

International Captain
How many did they drop this time?
3 but at least one didn’t cost a thing

one drop cost a 100 though and that was root on marsh

Cant understand how when a team goes from 240 to all out within 23 , they can be classed as being in the dominant position

England are always three fer and this is an above average start in reply .

loterry1994

International Debutant
2 for me . To get rid of 6 wickets for 23 with a man unbeaten on 118 is the superior moment of the day . It looked like Australia would still be batting tomorrow at that stage
yeah I agree but a close decision between the 2 but. That English fielding and catching was very shocking today but. I still don’t know about Bairstow as a Keeper though thini England can still have him and Foakes in the side. And Johnny is pretty good in the outfield as well

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
@honestbharani As far as I can see, Root, Bairstow hanging on until stumps with Stokes yet to come is a much bigger deal than the 3 wickets they lost today...and the Aus score is average at best...I get that it hasn't been an easy wicket to bat on but there is an 18 run difference between 245 and 263, what is the logic for one being below par and the other above?
What is the logic for any score to be considered par anyways then?

CartyDurham

International Captain
England will be disappointed with anything below 350 . To be seen of course but the second day of a headingley pitch is usually the best day for batting

Australia’s batting is beginning to look suspect in their last three innings . England have a decent chance of getting a test back now

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

Scotland lost the most.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
How many did they drop this time?
Two big chances stand out ..

Travis Head was dropped on 9 by Bairstow , he makes 39 ..

Mitchell Marsh was dropped on 12 by Root , he makes 118 ..

Mitchell Marsh joins Travis Head at the crease at 85/4 and they put on a 150+ run partnership ..

It was easier for England to take those catches than it was for Australia's lower order to face Mark Wood in my opinion.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You brought it up dude, I am just asking if you can explain your thinking...
I mentioned after the first session or so that I feel 250 is par. They got a bit more. I also felt losing 2 in that little session would have been par. England lost 3. I am not sure how I can explain that. As a rule of thumb, I tend to think if you are put-in in SENA conditions, and you make more than 200, you have done well. On this outfield and track, I felt that should be stretched to about 250. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️