• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar vs Brian Lara

Who was the better test batsman?

• Total voters

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Captain
SRT has acquired loads of longevity records - most runs/most tons etc, but Lara has a much greater impact footprint. If you take them on their best day - Lara would be superior. That settles it for me.
Yep, and that's how I interpret it and other people will interpret it/assess things different to us - which absolutely fine. I just think that in my opinion, Lara was better than Tendulkar and he is still the best batsman in my eyes that I have seen. Other people will have a different view/opinion....which is of course fair enough too.

They are two very fine batsman. All time greats.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Definitely SRT was better for me. Had a phase in his career from 1993 Jan 1st to 2011 Mar 30 , where he scored 13608 runs at 59.41 average. In this phase his abroad average was 61+ . His least average in any country was 45 in PAK. Such a towering record!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep in mind this 13608 is still larger than 2nd placed Ricky Ponting's tally.

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
Love how strike rate enthusiasts have decided to stop using this metric in tests as soon as cricketweb’s favourite boy tendulkar is seen unfavoured against Lara in that 💤

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Love how strike rate enthusiasts have decided to stop using this metric in tests as soon as cricketweb’s favourite boy tendulkar is seen unfavoured against Lara in that 💤
Your assumption that strike rate is the only reason Tendulkar was being called better than Kallis in that other thread is incorrect.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular

Tendulkar won this match with his batting and bowling. Lara never managed that. (neither did Kallis clearly)
Kallis as usual sucked when SA won.

Himannv

Hall of Fame Member
From what I've seen here, there is more support for Lara on this forum than Tendulkar. Lara is most people's favourite batsman, while I don't think there are that many Tendulkar fans on the forum (you get a few here and there). In terms of how they are rated here, I think it's probably at a level where Tendulkar is somewhat underrated now and has his fair share of detractors.

It's players like Kallis who really divide opinion here. Some people falsely believe that he's a top player and better than Sobers or whatever, while other more level-headed individuals clearly don't. There used to be a sheep-like fandom of Sangakkara here, but people have opened their minds more now and see him for the fraud that he is (although you get the odd fanatic with the Sanga posters in his bedroom and wearing patented Sanga underpants - all a bit sad really).

Last edited:

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
Your assumption that strike rate is the only reason Tendulkar was being called better than Kallis in that other thread is incorrect.
i mean thats the only reply I was given except for the ‘hes more than stats bro’ cope when I showed Kallis being a statistical equal with the bat as him in tests 🤷‍♀️

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Any CW posts that you can quote where strike rate is used as a definitive metric in tests to rate players?

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Captain
From what I've seen here, there is more support for Lara on this forum than Tendulkar. Lara is most people's favourite batsman, while I don't think there are that many Tendulkar fans on the forum (you get a few here and there). In terms of how they are rated here, I think it's probably at a level where Tendulkar is somewhat underrated now and has his fair share of detractors.

It's players like Kallis who really divide opinion here. Some people falsely believe that he's a top player and better than Sobers or whatever, while other more level-headed individuals clearly don't. There used to be a sheep-like fandom of Sangakkara here, but people have opened their minds more now and see him for the fraud that he is (although you get the odd fanatic with the Sanga posters in his bedroom and wearing patented Sanga underpants - all a bit sad really).
I rate Kallis right up there - great player but probably below Lara and Tendulkar. Still though Kallis has an outstanding record.

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Captain
Perhaps one stat which isn't talked about a lot in cricket (especially Test cricket) is how many times a batsman scores a total of 100+ runs for the match. Its probably a stat that hasnt been regarded or even thought about a lot. Anyway, we know in Test matches that the maximum amount of times a batsman can bat is twice.

So let's look at Tendulkar and Lara.

Tendulkar played 200 Test matches and scored 100+ runs in a Test match 64 times. That means he scored 100+ runs in a match every 3.1 Test matches. If we were to stretch things a bit more and look at 150+ runs scored per Test match - Tendulkar did that 26 times, so he averaged scoring 150+ every 7.6 Test matches.

Lara played 131 Test matches and scored 100+ runs in a Test match on 48 occasions. That means he scored 100+ runs in a match every 2.7 Test matches. Again, if we were to stretch things and look at 150+ runs scored in a Test match, Lara achieved this 25 times, so he averaged scoring 150+ runs every 5.2 Test matches.

My opinion, this is another stat that reflects that there isn't very much between Tendulkar and Lara. Both all time greats.

Cheers.

Last edited: