• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
Trueman would correctly be replaced by John Snow who was a better pace bowler upon my research. But personally when constructing All Times of a nation, i give importance to more than skill value being brought in the team. Johnson may be more skilled but no Zimbawean will want him to reperesnt their colors in all time because how he left Zim for money. Azharuddin may be in contention for a spot, but no Indian would want him to represent their colours either.

snow similarly, had disciplinary issues and never took his cricket seriously to ECB and Sussex’s dismay. Hence why english media doesnt acknowledge him much despite being quality. And why a true old english fan who watched his career wouldnt want him in the grand colors.

this is where i nominate Flintoff over Snow/Trueman, he is an effective bowler (not as much as them ofc) but his batting makes up a lot more value as cricketer than them. And like i talked abt above, who the nations’ people would want to represent them, Flintoff’s aura fulfills it. His presence lifted the fans and teammates up. He played in perhaps the weakest english side, with not much support with ball as every peer english bowler was roaming with 30+ averages in both formats, barring gough in ODIs.

Further looking into it, Flintoff was England’s leading wicket taker combined formats during his era and by a fair margin, which shows his career saw him as a first/second choice bowler. Personally to me his playstyle indicated me him as a brilliant third/fourth option instead. With adequate support from genuine atg bowlers in Englands lineup where he’s not the main bowler, he will strengthen England in skill more than Trueman/Snow who’s issues ive already regarded.

to me Flintoff’s name being regarded so highly in english cricket, theres a reason more than face value stats to it and seeing English bowlers not being too notable in this area, England can indeed pitch in Stokes - Botham - Flintoff without drawbacks, until a genuinely elite pacer arrives.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
There is no catch worse than Steve Waugh claiming a ball that was rolling on the floor was something he caught off Srikkanth. It was amazing how much the Nine comms were trying to play it off as normal and a honest mistake etc. :laugh:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would go Ganguly over Waugh, if claiming bounced catches is a criteria
Lol **** off. Waugh picked up the ball from the ground and claimed it on two separate occasions. Shameful Aussie fans ignoring cheating as usual. The ganguly and dhoni catches are absolutely nothing in comparison. You have atrociously poor cricket knowledge but I forgive you because you're Australian and also because you're TJB so it is understandable.

TheJediBrah

Lol **** off. Waugh picked up the ball from the ground and claimed it on two separate occasions. Shameful Aussie fans ignoring cheating as usual. The ganguly and dhoni catches are absolutely nothing in comparison. You have atrociously poor cricket knowledge but I forgive you because you're Australian and also because you're TJB so it is understandable.
You're so easy to rile because you're the second most parochial bloke on the forum after hb

trundler

You're in the tiny minority with this opinion bro give it up
Apparently not then. You're much closer to that title but it's a moot point anyway since it's probably some Kiwi. Can't remember who it was but I nominate the bloke who suggested Vettori was a better ODI spinner than Warne.

Flem274*

123/5
im guessing its been done but the ai gods have spoken:

Australia:

1. Sir Donald Bradman (Captain)
  2. Matthew Hayden
  3. Ricky Ponting
  4. Greg Chappell
  5. Allan Border
  6. Steve Waugh
  7. Adam Gilchrist (Wicketkeeper)
  8. Shane Warne
  9. Dennis Lillee
  10. Glenn McGrath
  11. Ray Lindwall
England:

1. Alastair Cook
  2. Sir Jack Hobbs
  3. Sir Len Hutton
  4. Wally Hammond
  5. Kevin Pietersen
  6. Sir Ian Botham
  7. Alec Stewart (Wicketkeeper)
  8. Jim Laker
  9. Stuart Broad
  10. James Anderson
  11. Sydney Barnes
India:

1. Sunil Gavaskar
  2. Virender Sehwag
  3. Rahul Dravid
  4. Sachin Tendulkar
  5. Virat Kohli (Captain)
  6. V.V.S. Laxman
  7. Kapil Dev
  8. Mahendra Singh Dhoni (Wicketkeeper)
  9. Anil Kumble
  10. Zaheer Khan
  11. Bishan Singh Bedi
South Africa:

1. Graeme Smith
  2. Barry Richards
  3. Hashim Amla
  4. Jacques Kallis
  5. AB de Villiers
  6. Graeme Pollock
  7. Mark Boucher (Wicketkeeper)
  8. Shaun Pollock
  9. Dale Steyn
  10. Allan Donald
  11. Hugh Tayfield
West Indies:

1. Sir Garfield Sobers (Captain)
  2. Gordon Greenidge
  3. Sir Vivian Richards
  4. Brian Lara
  5. George Headley
  6. Clive Lloyd
  7. Jeff Dujon (Wicketkeeper)
  8. Malcolm Marshall
  9. Michael Holding
  10. Curtly Ambrose
  11. Joel Garner
Sri Lanka:

1. Sanath Jayasuriya
  2. Marvan Atapattu
  3. Kumar Sangakkara (Wicketkeeper)
  4. Mahela Jayawardene
  5. Aravinda de Silva
  6. Tillakaratne Dilshan
  7. Rangana Herath
  8. Chaminda Vaas
  9. Muttiah Muralitharan
  10. Lasith Malinga
  11. Vaasanthi Vaas
New Zealand:

1. Glenn Turner
  2. Martin Crowe
  3. Kane Williamson (Captain)
  4. Ross Taylor
  5. Richard Hadlee
  6. Brendon McCullum (Wicketkeeper)
  7. Daniel Vettori
  8. Chris Cairns
  9. Tim Southee
  10. Shane Bond
  11. Trent Boult
Pakistan:

1. Hanif Mohammad
  2. Saeed Anwar
  3. Zaheer Abbas
  4. Javed Miandad
  5. Inzamam-ul-Haq
  6. Imran Khan (Captain)
  7. Wasim Akram
  8. Rashid Latif (Wicketkeeper)
  9. Abdul Qadir
  10. Waqar Younis
  11. Fazal Mahmood
Zimbabwe:

1. Grant Flower
  2. Dave Houghton
  3. Andy Flower (Wicketkeeper)
  4. Andy Flower
  5. Heath Streak (Captain)
  6. Sean Ervine
  7. Tatenda Taibu
  8. Neil Johnson
  9. Henry Olonga
  10. Paul Strang
  11. Douglas Hondo
Bangladesh:

1. Tamim Iqbal
  2. Imrul Kayes
  3. Shakib Al Hasan
  4. Mushfiqur Rahim (Wicketkeeper)
  5. Mohammad Ashraful
  6. Mahmudullah
  7. Mashrafe Mortaza (Captain)
  8. Mohammad Rafique
  9. Enamul Haque Jr.
  10. Mustafizur Rahman
  11. Shakib Al Hasan
"Please note that these selections are subjective and based on my assessment. There are many other great players from each nation's cricketing history who could be considered for inclusion."

andy flower and shakib so good it picked them twice.

ataraxia

International Coach
Let's go through the SL side:
  1. Sanath Jayasuriya
  2. Marvan Atapattu
  3. Kumar Sangakkara (Wicketkeeper)
  4. Mahela Jayawardene
  5. Aravinda de Silva
  6. Tillakaratne Dilshan
  7. Rangana Herath
  8. Chaminda Vaas
  9. Muttiah Muralitharan
  10. Lasith Malinga
  11. Vaasanthi Vaas
Jayasuriya, yep, classic. Atapattu, it's always either him or Dilshan as opening buddy traditionally though the Karunaratne resurgence probably changes that. Sanga, yep; keeping, ok, that's reasonable. Jayawardene; Aravinda, yup yup. Dilshan, looks like he's a surprisingly excellent #6 I'll give that a pass too. Herath at 7 – well, there's always one, I'll give it a pass. Shaping up to be perhaps even better than that perfectly decent, if notably and understandably Nourseless, SA side. Vaas, yep; Murali, yep; Malinga, yeah; Vaas, yep. Wait...

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
My England XI
  1. Jack Hobbs
  2. Len Hutton
  3. Walter Hammond
  4. Joe Root
  5. Kevin Pietersen
  6. Ben Stokes (c)
  7. Ian Botham
  8. Alan Knott (wk)
  9. Andrew Flintoff
  10. Jim Laker
  11. James Anderson

Coronis

International Coach
My England XI
  1. Jack Hobbs
  2. Len Hutton
  3. Walter Hammond
  4. Joe Root
  5. Kevin Pietersen
  6. Ben Stokes (c)
  7. Ian Botham
  8. Alan Knott (wk)
  9. Andrew Flintoff
  10. Jim Laker
  11. James Anderson
How does this side consistently expect to take 20 wickets in a match?

I won’t get into the batting, but you need more than 2 proper front line bowlers. You should be picking 1 of Botham, Stokes or Flintoff, not all 3.

Last edited: