• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
All the bull**** aside from the last test, Stokes is such a monumental clutch performer I’m having him in my English XI now.

Hobbs
Hutton
Hammond
Root
Barrington
Stokes
Botham
Knott
Bedser
Laker
Trueman

ataraxia

International Coach
All the bull**** aside from the last test, Stokes is such a monumental clutch performer I’m having him in my English XI now.

Hobbs
Hutton
Hammond
Root
Barrington
Stokes
Botham
Knott
Bedser
Laker
Trueman
Largely agree on everything else (with the exception of y no Sutcliffe), but Bedser above Anderson is just a plain weird opinion at this point.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cheats/Against the 'Spirit of the Game' XI/Players People don't like XI:

WG Grace
David Warner
Rahul Dravid
Steve Smith
Greg Chappell
Imran Khan
M.S. Dhoni
Imran Khan
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Murali

Based on cricketing skill, not cheating ability/scale
Needs way more Australians here, let's be honest. In fact we could easily fill like 4 entire XIs exclusively from Australia before we get to the others.

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha yeah Steve Waugh has got to be captain of the side. He literally came up with the idea of "mental disintegration" as a strategy.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha yeah Steve Waugh has got to be captain of the side. He literally came up with the idea of "mental disintegration" as a strategy.
Yes but he always gets "credit" for that. The two catches he claimed were so terrible that I'm always amazed they're not mentioned in the same breath as the Greg Dyer or Saleem Yousuf.

Spark

Global Moderator
Didn't someone try that again about ten years ago? I vaguely remember seeing a catch where the ball had been dropped, it rolled on the ground for a few seconds and was picked up again and "claimed".

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I understand cross formats can be a bit complex to define. But in my opinion cross formats allows you to judge how flexible a players skills are and this adaptability should also be weighed in for measuring a players quality. More so considering cricket like everything is evolving, and so should the metrics to assess players
Giving 50% weight to both Tests and ODIs, I think Flintoff was better. I think he's in the top ten ODI cricketers of all time, maybe top five.

I'd probably rather have Stokes than Flintoff though because I care more about Tests. I think players who actually do both would tend to think similarly as well.

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
Trueman is a fraud. No one rates him in the elite tier despite his stats. Ever wondered why his historical aura isnt matching the other great fast bowlers despite the stats?

It because against the only true cricketing sides of his time (AUS+WI) he averages 21 at home and 30 away.

He was basically a James Anderson level bowler who never had an ‘improved arc’ like Anderson had in his latter half.

this guy does not come into an England ATG xi.