• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
Not this fan. Crawley out, not totally unexpected.
No one expects england bats like Turkistan 48/4

Good fight back by Duckett (98 & half century*) but no chance for
Eng after their Foolish decision to field after winning toss

Duckett need 21 more for 1000 runs in Dozen test.

G. S. Kohli

Yeah exactly. Sometimes the ball will come out when the elbow hits the ground in particular. The law says you need to be in control of the ball and your movement before it constitutes a catch - if you're falling then you're definitely not in full control of your own movement yet.

I'm 100% on #TeamSpark on the ones where a part of the ball may have technically hit the grass but only in between two fingers that are under the ball (due to its roundness), but Starc has dropped that - mainly just because he's an idiot.

G. S. Kohli

Law 33.3 clearly states that a catch is only completed when the fielder has 'complete control over the ball and his/her movement'," MCC posted on Twitter. "The ball cannot touch the ground before then. In this particular incident, Mitchell Starc, was still sliding as the ball rubbed the ground, therefore he was not in control of his movement."

Former Australia fast bowler Glenn McGrath had termed the decision "ridiculous" on the BBC.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No one expects england bats like Turkistan 48/4

Good fight back by Duckett (98 & half century*) but no chance for
Eng after their Foolish decision to field after winning toss

Duckett need 21 more for 1000 runs in Dozen test.
Nah that's far from the reason.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A couple of quick wickets at the start of play today would be handy. As would have Duckett being out. Hopefully Starc badges him and then yorks him within 30 minutes of play starting, after both Stokes and Bairstow have also been dismissed.

I assume it wasn't Bazzyline from us last night?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That starc catch is 100% not out imo. There is no way the catch can be considered "complete" when you're falling to the ground. If that was actually a legitimate way of completing a catch every coach would be telling kids to incorporate that into their catching technique on falling/tumbling catches to ensure the ball doesn't "pop out".
Agreed. You've got to have a rule that draws the line somewhere. If Starc had slid, stopped, then used the ball as leverage to stand up, no issue. But he was still in the movement and fully put pressure with the ball on the ground without anything between them. Did he have control? Yeah he did, but the movement wasn't complete. It's his own silly fault. Correct decision and well played to Marais for having the strength to follow the rule properly.

I have two bigger issues with that delivery:
A) That is an all-time ridiculous shot 2 and a bit overs out from stumps. There was a fine third man, it either goes there or fine leg. Horrible batting that he got fortunate with
B) And this is the biggest issue...I watched a 20-minute highlights package, and that delivery didn't feature on it. Yet I probably saw 10-15 inconsequential singles. What are we dealing with here? I now believe the Kiwi poster that said highlights are based off an algorhythm. Aren't we so smart as humans, we can get AI to do things for us...yep certain things, but not this. Woeful. Do it properly.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Isn’t the difference that Root’s hand is under the ball while he’s still moving about?
not from where we are watching, mate. from down under, his hand was on top.

its not about hand under, on top, etc. its about control of the ball. touching the ball to the ground like starc did is more likely to dislodge it, than rolling around. this is just absolute dumb****ery interpretation. a catch is completed with the final movements, not the beginning ones, or juggles dont count.

root clearly touched the ball to the ground before he was in control of his body movement too. i can accept being strict on the interpration, but then you have to apply it everywhere. no throwing the ball up like green did last summer. no ground contact whatsoever. hold it in your hands until you get the green light from the umpires. or... just dont be a ****wit umpire interpreting things differently on a whim.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
Also just seen Lyon trying to run a single......wtf?? What was the reaction here at the time? Gotta applaud the bravery but seriously??? Were those extra 15 runs really worth that? Was horrible to watch.
Honestly yes they were. Despite the fact that they probably won't matter at the end of the day, at the time they could of been crucial, and still could be.
Good from Lyon sacrificing a bit of pain for the team, think you'll find most Aussies thankful for his efforts.

ripper868

International Coach
I was all for those extra 15 runs. 15 runs that 2 English wickets failed to get. What's the alternate? Lyon doesn't come out to bat, is still out of the series and England are 15 runs closer to an unlikely miracle.

The bloke has played 100 tests on the trot, and if you watch his presser from today, good luck trying to tell him he's not going out there.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just watching some highlights and Starc was actually swinging the ball???

I won't admit I'm wrong about him until he does it a few games in a row

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I love this series so much. I'm honestly enjoying this much more than any India series where I don't have to deal with the BS, plus I am not completely anxiety ridden about the outcome. Just enjoying fun crazy cricket.

Tests in England are basically the perfect time for my schedule so I think I've watched every ball. Everything about it is so good.