• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

CartyDurham

International Captain
Not that it matters, but fielding a tail with broad at 8 when woakes is fit at lord's was an insane decision. Bloke averages 11 with the ball at this ground. Anderson's looked stiff as **** and the aussie bats have been putting miles in the bowlers legs. Playing broad, anderson and robinson for the second straight game with basically no turnaround between this and the third test is asking for an injury.
There’s something going on with Woakes as his record is excellent at lords. He had hardly played any cricket in the last year though

same as wood really . Be interesting the next one if there are changes , it will be in the bowling though of course Pope has this dodgy shoulder that could pop at anytime

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
England have been the better side in both tests. They're just not getting the breaks.
I don't know if this is a common refrain with English fans...but I certainly don't agree with it.

Being the better side doesn't always mean playing the most positive style or best highlight reel, in any sport in fact. It often means making less mistakes and countering what your opponent is doing, and fitting your game plan to that opponent and what you need to do to win. Australia have done that better. England at the moment are like the razzle dazzle football team who flood forward and lose 6-4 because they don't have men behind the ball. They still feel good about themselves but ultimately haven't done what they set out to achieve.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well not too upset I couldn't really follow any of it today.

I guess outlandish 4th innings chases were England's thing last summer so you never know. Imagine we might get a load of declaration talk tomorrow, they should really bat on knowing England will try and chase regardless.

Socerer 01

International Captain
I don't know if this is a common refrain with English fans...but I certainly don't agree with it.

Being the better side doesn't always mean playing the most positive style or best highlight reel, in any sport in fact. It often means making less mistakes and countering what your opponent is doing, and fitting your game plan to that opponent and what you need to do to win. Australia have done that better. England at the moment are like the razzle dazzle football team who flood forward and lose 6-4 because they don't have men behind the ball. They still feel good about themselves but ultimately haven't done what they set out to achieve.
its the Barcelona syndrome all over again

for your eg the 1982 Brazil team may be more appropriate though

CartyDurham

International Captain
its the Barcelona syndrome all over again

for your eg the 1982 Brazil team may be more appropriate though
Got a great book on that 82 team

as a kid at the time I can remember taking a ball and attempting to hit it like Socrates and Eder in the game they beat Russia 2-1

put a few windows out doing that

that was a great football team Brazil 82.IMG_0247.png

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Fell asleep after England were bowled out. Yeesh what a dreadful day for England. Again, if they’re going to persist with roads they’re going to need Wood and find a decent spinner. Anderson hasn’t had the ability to cause real damage in the 2nd innings consistently for the past couple of years and it becomes a real liability in situations like this.

Son Of Coco

Bairstow not someone you'd have faith keeping up to the stumps to a pacer considering he can't catch **** standing back
I read a few pages back that Jimmy was bowling short with Bairstow up, but I needed further proof that Bairstow was actually up at the stumps to believe it.

A true fast bowler's move from Jimmy though - "Slow enough to stand up at the stumps for eh? Try catching these?"

Son Of Coco

you’d rather pile on another 50 and try declare earlier tommorow
Nah, the declaration should be about time. England look like they might just be dumb enough to continue with Bazball regardless of the situation, so if the pitch looks decent, set them something almost insurmountable in just over a day and see how they go. Giving them 5 sessions to get the runs applies zero pressure at all as they know if they are still in, they will get the runs, but if they are put in a position where they might actually have to reconsider their approach, it might **** things up for them.

If they do Bazball, they haven't lasted a full day yet anyway. Maybe an hour at the end of the day and then all of day 5 will be enough if we can bat until then.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Probably about as good of a day as possible.

England still not completely out of it but for the first time this Test Australia will bat under the sun tomorrow. Ideally I'd be giving them 450+ in 4 sessions to chase. Usually I'd say that's too conservative but England will go for it so meh.

DriveClub

International Regular
Should set as much as possible before declaring because england are gonna bazball anyway regardless of how high the targets gonna be.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Today was the first day of the series that I didn't really watch or listen to.

One of the 'joys' of working from home is that I can have TMS on in the background. I then catch the sessions highlights on TV during my breaks.

After last nights debacle and collapse this morning, it was too much to listen this afternoon. I was still too angry and disappointed.

I can accept us losing, supporting England for 40 years or more, I'm used to getting beat, particularly by Australia.

But I still can't accept the way we've played at times in this test and I know I'm not alone in that.

I can accept calculated risk taking but the mindless play yesterday goes beyond the pale.

I can't watch much of the cricket tomorrow - family commitments to attend and you know what, I'm glad I can't.

I know the players are enjoying playing this style of play, and they are comfortable in their surroundings. Bully for them.

But the England cricket team isn't their preserve, it belongs to all of us. And millions of us didn't find the way we played in our 1st innings remotely entertaining.

What makes it worse is there seems no self reflection. No thinking that maybe we got it wrong, we'll reflect on it and next time we're in that position we may take a more measured approach.

No it was all that's how we play, and we're not going to change.

Well good for them but if we carry on with this kamikaze approach then they're going to lose more fans than they'll gain.

Rant over.

Lefty

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
That’s what protesting is about though. If you hold a rally in a suburban cul de sac, no one will know you’ve done it
Unfortunately there are protestors who keep causing major disruptions such as blocking traffic on the Sydney Harbour bridge. I feel sorry for the people just trying to get to work and home on time.