• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

Darwin Award

U19 Cricketer
I doubt he would want to retire after holding out for so long , he probably wants to go past Warne's record first ..
... He's probably holding out for that very thing and might be secretly hoping that if he finishes Number 2 on the list that one day they'll expunge Murali's record for 'chucking'... so he effectively becomes de-facto all time leader wicket taker... lol

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Might not be up to him. Has to be performing at top level to be selected.
Sometimes star players are given longer rope than the others , also England tend to drop bowlers in the name of rotation without totally discarding them after a bad series ..He could have a bad series here , then resurface against a weak batting unit like SA and take a bucket load of wickets then all will be forgotten by the selectors ..

Spark

Global Moderator
If you think this is bad you should have seen how England batted before Bazball.
I agree but how much of that is simply picking much, much more talented players? "Better than Burns and Sibley" is really not much of a high bar (one that Crawley hasn't reached!). The guy who has really improved dramatically is Bairstow and he did make a fine hundred not long before this all started.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We don't run through them because they know how to bat in different ways. We are unfortunately all about being entertaining and reckless
Australia’s best players are closer to their peaks than England’s best

Our worst players are miles better than England’s worst and you have more of them

Really is that that simple

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree but how much of that is simply picking much, much more talented players? "Better than Burns and Sibley" is really not much of a high bar (one that Crawley hasn't reached!). The guy who has really improved dramatically is Bairstow and he did make a fine hundred not long before this all started.
Duckett is much better, foakes has been better with the bat after bazball than before. From a bowling front robinson has got much fitter, leach has been better even if the stats don't fully reflect that.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It’s becoming apparent that Anderson at age 40 is struggling in this series. Will he retire (from international cricket) at the end of the season? Better to go before you’re pushed? He could carry on in county cricket rather than retire altogether.
I doubt whether county cricket will appeal to him. Maybe some sort of media role is the likeliest next step.

I know it's not always wise to judge a guy on one and a half tests, but it's been grim viewing so far. Fair enough that Edgbaston was completely unhelpful, especially as all of the seamers struggled there. But one tail-ender here when bowling in supposedly helpful conditions is a wretched return. My guess is he'll call it a day once the Ashes are gone again.

Croadymeister

U19 Cricketer

Our worst players are miles better than England’s worst and you have more of them

I am just irate with them for TOTALLY throwing it away since 188-1 yesterday. Losing an Ashes like that is absolutely sickening but fully deserved for such stupidity

Preed

U19 12th Man
Now is the time for changes as we have no chance of winning the ashes.Anderson now finished as a test bowler so we should be looking at wood and tongue for pace.Why is Dawson never considered 12 wickets and a century last week but I guess he is not a stokes yes man like most of the others

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Marnus has looked terrible here, but atleast he's grinding it out when it's tough unlike every england bat not named stokes. Also, that LBW was out.

Spark

Global Moderator
Marnus has looked terrible here, but atleast he's grinding it out when it's tough unlike every england bat not named stokes. Also, that LBW was out.
He's honestly batting like Shane Watson, and not in a positive sense. Just planting that front foot miles down and presenting a big old target whilst pushing at balls that aren't in line.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

It's true, and I stick to my view that a composite team at this stage of their careers would have 8 or 9 Australians. But that doesn't excuse the wastefulness of England's approach in both tests. When you're up against a better team, you don't need to give them a helping hand.