• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
This passage of play from England has been absolutely shambolic.
To have 3 men out to the hook is beyond ridiculous - we don't deserve to won this game playing like this.
WTF Root was doing is beyond me - out twice hooking in the same innings.
And we've got Harry Brook teeing off like it's a benefit game.
Clueless play and the management need to get a grip of the team because this isn't how you play test cricket.
I'm fine with attacking play - I'm fine with a positive approach but this has been wreckless and that's not acceptable
We've been absolutely lovely hosts so far this summer; couldn't be more accommodating for our guests. Last year, this approach felt like a means to an end. I know I probably moaned about it at times, but the bottom line is it worked. This summer, it feels like an end in itself, like some weird personality cult where the approach is everything and the more outlandish the approach, the better.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mark Butcher was mentioned, but this is Trundler and he loves this convo. The weird thing is I kinda agree him, the 80s and 90s England sides were ****, but there were still some decent players around in two decades.
Everyone is forgetting Thorpe, he was as good as any dark ages England cricketer.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Stewart could've been better but he still played 130 tests for an average of under 40. He had grave problems against spin too so maybe he has a Pope-like career down the order. Sure, Stewart was used poorly but I feel like you can't use the potential argument for a bloke who plays that long. Atherton was alright but really not someone who epitomises the good old days.
Robin Smith had the same problem

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Everyone is forgetting Thorpe, he was as good as any dark ages England cricketer.
Yep he was alsio part of the mentioned 2003-05 side, so I didn''t go into defend him.

oh I see C-u-c-k is censored, c'mon man, it's not even a swear

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
It isn't- this isn't how we played last summer and winter.

We attacked and we were positive but it wasn't completely wreckless like the last hour of so.
I mean it was tbh, it just came off. Bairstow was swinging at every ball but still hitting hundreds for fun.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
Stewart could've been better but he still played 130 tests for an average of under 40. He had grave problems against spin too so maybe he has a Pope-like career down the order. Sure, Stewart was used poorly but I feel like you can't use the potential argument for a bloke who plays that long. Atherton was alright but really not someone who epitomises the good old days.
I don't think the current team would beat the 90s one tbh having watched both of them even if a few underachieved in that one.