• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

RightArmMystery

U19 Vice-Captain
When Smith's batting like this and seeing it this well I just don't understand how you get him out. You're just hoping he nicks one eventually but feels increasingly unlikely, and there's no chance he's missing a straight one. He's so ****ing good.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's actually a pretty great origin story, getting picked as a "joker" for the Boxing Day test and immediately nicking out to Anderson on that first day.
Nah he was picked for the Perth Test

And promptly nicked out to Tremlett instead. In an even greater irony his terminal weakness was seen as fishing too much outside off stump.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Bro we get it, he has more wickets

Means **** all in terms of quality in these comparisons
It's ok, you've got to let the English have some stat in the game they invented to make them feel good about themselves. It's why 5% of all UKs GDP is sunk into advanced cryotherapy treatment for Anderson and why the ECB schedule 50 tests a year - if you field one player in enough tests they're bound to scrape their way into the record books on sheer time alone. Their new motto will be "why do in 80 tests what you can do in 230"

Spark

Global Moderator
Some excellent commentary from Nasser re. Smith's retirement speculation

"What else is he going to do??"

I've been saying the same myself for years. Going to sound harsh but I imagine Steve Smith would be as close to a useless human as you can get if not for playing cricket
I could see him retiring from non-franchise white ball after this year. Surely he'll play Tests for ages though, he's still clearly got the hunger

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some excellent commentary from Nasser re. Smith's retirement speculation

"What else is he going to do??"

I've been saying the same myself for years. Going to sound harsh but I imagine Steve Smith would be as close to a useless human as you can get if not for playing cricket
probably have a coffee up at Bertoni’s on Darling Street

trundler

It's ok, you've got to let the English have some stat in the game they invented to make them feel good about themselves. It's why 5% of all UKs GDP is sunk into advanced cryotherapy treatment for Anderson and why the ECB schedule 50 tests a year - if you field one player in enough tests they're bound to scrape their way into the record books on sheer time alone. Their new motto will be "why do in 80 tests what you can do in 230"
Seriously how the **** does Bell have 22 tons

Uppercut

Nah he was picked for the Perth Test

And promptly nicked out to Tremlett instead. In an even greater irony his terminal weakness was seen as fishing too much outside off stump.
Also pretty funny that future nerds will argue that his average should be adjusted upwards to account for the games against Pakistan where he was picked as a leg-spinner.

Preed

U19 12th Man
Stokes captaincy shown up again no third man for Cummins and he has already got4 boundaries in this area.How many 4 balls have we gi ven away this morning.We need a bowler of real pace and one who bowls maidens.This test is fast becoming one of saving but we will still go hung ho and say it’s entertaining and lose heavily.Then the powers that be won’t be so happy.Yes it’s good to watch but the public want the ashes even if they bore the pants offf in victory

Spark

Global Moderator
Also pretty funny that future nerds will argue that his average should be adjusted upwards to account for the games against Pakistan where he was picked as a leg-spinner.
Even then he looked much better with the bat! Hit a counterattacking 80-odd from nowhere IIRC that almost dragged Aus back into a dead lost game (still lost, but it was much closer than it looked before his innings)

IIRC the CW consensus at the time was that he should have been picked at #6.