• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
It's obviously a big day.

We were poor yesterday but the test is far from over.

However, if we have another poor today then it will be unless weather intervenes.

You might get away with 1 poor day but not 2 against this team.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I appreciate that the ECB posts 15 minute highlights on YouTube of every day but the guy doing them needs to be told how to make highlights. Random singles and twos getting included, dropped catches not getting proper replays, Khawaja's wicket only being shown as a single analysis shot from behind the wicket (???), lots of missing boundaries etc - wouldn't have thought "highlights" were that hard to get right
Highlights packages in general tend to be very bad with that, especially if they stingy like Cricket Australia's, but the ECB and BCCI are especially prominent in not showing their own team's lapses. There needs to be a simple order of priority like wickets > major incidents (drops, hundreds) > boundaries > minor incidents.

Slow motion replays should be kept only for wickets and missed chances, and bowled and caught behind the wicket should never, ever use the low mid-off angle is very much in vogue (I am on record as advocating for capital punishment for doing this). I so detest it when you see an ordinary four replayed from three different angles but don't see the dropped catch you read about.

Qlder

International Debutant
"The UK papers are a picture of doom and gloom on Thursday after England suffered what’s been labelled as the “worst day of the Bazball era” against Australia at Lord’s"

And brutal on Robinson 😀

"This was among his most ineffectual performances, doing little to deflect his critics’ contention that he was a glorified medium-pace trundler"

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"The UK papers are a picture of doom and gloom on Thursday after England suffered what’s been labelled as the “worst day of the Bazball era” against Australia at Lord’s"

And brutal on Robinson 😀

"This was among his most ineffectual performances, doing little to deflect his critics’ contention that he was a glorified medium-pace trundler"

“Is it even wrong to be exalted in someone's celebration when they are pointing towards their own dressing room?”

Gob

International Coach
I don't know that you can assume Cummins and Hazlewood will bowl the same way England's fellas did on this wicket.
Thought Boland would go well on this

Starc could be a bit if a liability if he bowls like the WTC final. Happy to be proved wrong

woodleigh

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
England far from out of this. If they restrict Australia to about 400, they will be thereabouts early tomorrow. It is all about the second Aus innings. If they run through Australia then, they will chase it down, which was the whole point of them batting 2nd.

Then you have the weather. Chances are, this game ends in a draw. Then Australia is still only 1 up and they have 3 tests to rectify that.

Stokes only failed last game, so that he can turn up in game 5 and prevent Australia from winning the Ashes and enhance his reputation as the man who does the impossible.
I was reading this and thought, what an optimistic chap, I might have a go at that.

England wont restrict Australia to 400.
England wont chase down Australia's first innings total against Cummins, Starc and Hazelwood on this wicket.
Australia will add to the their Ist innings total, send England into have a crack at it, bowl them out and...
...the test match will be over in 4 days.

Stokes will be rested for the 3rd test, at the moment he's a waste of space.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant

And brutal on Robinson 😀

I wonder how much of England's attitude is influenced by McCullum ..He probably does view it as just another game .

flibbertyjibber

I haven't been able to find this info any where but what is the issue with Stokes knee? Did he have a tear/strain or is it just over use?
Nobody knows but from experience of a damaged knee I'd say he needs a major operation on it and if he has it after ashes he won't be fit till next summer. Even then it may not work fully.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Nobody knows but from experience of a damaged knee I'd say he needs a major operation on it and if he has it after ashes he won't be fit till next summer. Even then it may not work fully.
Yep I know the terrors of knee injuries. Currently recovering from a partial tear in my right knee. Luckily didn't require surgery but my concern with Stokes is the damage he is doing to it now. Anyway,as a neutral I hope he stays fit for the whole series!

Coronis

International Coach
England far from out of this. If they restrict Australia to about 400, they will be thereabouts early tomorrow. It is all about the second Aus innings. If they run through Australia then, they will chase it down, which was the whole point of them batting 2nd.

Then you have the weather. Chances are, this game ends in a draw. Then Australia is still only 1 up and they have 3 tests to rectify that.

Stokes only failed last game, so that he can turn up in game 5 and prevent Australia from winning the Ashes and enhance his reputation as the man who does the impossible.
Now that’s a “hot take”

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah my gut feeling is that Stokes needs an operation and/or lengthy time on the sidelines

He was obviously unfit in New Zealand and during the IPL but decided to put off whatever is required in order to play in the Ashes

flibbertyjibber

Yeah my gut feeling is that Stokes needs an operation and/or lengthy time on the sidelines

He was obviously unfit in New Zealand and during the IPL but decided to put off whatever is required in order to play in the Ashes
India looks a tour too far in winter. Be a baptism and a half for Pope as captain.