• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
You probably had to hear the extended 5 minute version for context. The point is we're being too nice, talking to too many papers, not minding losing, etc.
I don't buy that. Commentators get bored and obtuse, when the simple explanation can be that England have dropped too many catches and not bowled well enough. Pat Cummins won the game for Australia last week, and adopted three kittens on his way home from the ground.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
When’s the last time Broad and Anderson didn’t pick up a wicket on day 1 in England while bowling had to be a while ago
This one springs to mind.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Such a frustrating day for England. Everything in our favour and we have Anderson, Robinson and to a lesser extent Broad all bowling so far short of the required standard.

The Head innings summed it up for me.
He's a fine strokeplayer but is vulnerable to the short ball and his defensive technique isn't the best against the moving ball.

It should have been relatively easy to keep him quiet on that pitch - bowl a good length and deny him any width. He'll either lose patience and play a rash shot or his lack of defensive solidity finds him out.

But we served up far too many buffet balls and a player of his quality will feast on them, and he did.

We pulled it back a bit late on with Root's wickets but very much Australia's day.

And don't get me started on the number of no balls 😡

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
I don't buy that. Commentators get bored and obtuse, when the simple explanation can be that England have dropped too many catches and not bowled well enough. Pat Cummins won the game for Australia last week, and adopted three kittens on his way home from the ground.
He blamed the dropping catches on being "too relaxed" too-constantly. Stokes being too soft and letting Broad waste reviews on chances that were no-way near is another example. No-balls another. I agree tbh.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Nah.. I hate Anderson as a bloke (at least how he comes across in cricket games) as much as the next person but you can't deny he has had seriously impactful spells in India across multiple series. He was the major reason England won a series and then another test here, 10 years apart almost.
By all accounts Jimmy is supposed to be a really nice fella, pretty reserved, shy almost and always has time for fans etc.

I think he's just one of those sportsmen who have a completely different persona on and off the pitch.

I think Glenn McGrath is another one like that - a snarly, aggressive so and so on the pitch but apparently a real gent off it.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He blamed the dropping catches on being "too relaxed" too-constantly. Stokes being too soft and letting Broad waste reviews on chances that were no-way near is another example. No-balls another. I agree tbh.
Honestly, he's a dolt. An absolute space cadet. Bairstow dropped catches because he has never been a top-level keeper and gets less and less athletic by the year. Root dropped the catch today because he was too deep. Stokes dropped it last week because he was too far in. Every country gets reviews wrong - Tim Southee is the worst in the world. And I would think that's the opposite of relaxed...trying too hard to get wickets.

I'm glad you agree, not to agree with me but if you're on the opposite side of Michael Vaughan, I think that's historically a good place to be in many respects. He's Piers Morgan with a pull shot.

Saket1209

State Vice-Captain
By all accounts Jimmy is supposed to be a really nice fella, pretty reserved, shy almost and always has time for fans etc.

I think he's just one of those sportsmen who have a completely different persona on and off the pitch.

I think Glenn McGrath is another one like that - a snarly, aggressive so and so on the pitch but apparently a real gent off it.
Yeah Anderson is pretty good bloke. Even in an interview when asked about what he thinks when people call him one dimensional bowler who could take wicket in Eng, he was pretty frank and said he really has struggled to impress away initially in his carrier and said he is not that good away. It's not easy to criticize yourself.

Woodster

International Captain
It kinda says it all when you sum up the day our bowlers have had when it’s been salvaged late on by two Joe Root wickets.

Not good enough today, probably bowled enough decent deliveries to bowl a side out on another day, but what we served up on between those beauties was generally a whole heap of dross.

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
Honestly, he's a dolt. An absolute space cadet. Bairstow dropped catches because he has never been a top-level keeper and gets less and less athletic by the year. Root dropped the catch today because he was too deep. Stokes dropped it last week because he was too far in. Every country gets reviews wrong - Tim Southee is the worst in the world. And I would think that's the opposite of relaxed...trying too hard to get wickets.

I'm glad you agree, not to agree with me but if you're on the opposite side of Michael Vaughan, I think that's historically a good place to be in many respects. He's Piers Morgan with a pull shot.
Apologies, the reviews part was my example. I think he speaks one hell of a lot more sense than Morgan tbf.

CartyDurham

International Captain

Nail on the head

slowfinger

International Debutant
Anderson needs another 5 mph of pace to seriously trouble the batsmen ... how effective can you think to be at 78 mph?