• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No doubt Anderson and Broad have excellent longevity, but how about Lyon where this will be his 100th consecutive test, first bowler ever to do so

To add to script, only needs 5 wkts to get to 500
He is like a fine wine getting better with age. Had a great couple of years and shows no sign of slowing down. Guess the only question is how long he wants to carry on and what target he has be it Warne or Kumble ahead of him.

Spark

Global Moderator
Bowling better than he ever has IMO. I thought he was winding down last year but his last five Tests have been top shelf. Might be that the emergence of Murphy has lit a fire under him now that there's a real competitor for his spot.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
If there is one thing Australia must guard against , it's complacency against Ollie Robinson..Sure he says the daftest things at times but he's a quality bowler and not some run of the mill dibbly dobbler as he's being made out to be in the Australian media , I mean by all accounts the Edgbaston pitch was pretty flat , he still got 5/98 in the match ..Lot of exaggeration about his lack of pace , he's on a similar speed to what Pollock and McGrath was towards the back end of their careers and they still took clumps of wickets everywhere..

the big bambino

International Captain
In that case you have to take your hat off and say well played, but it's demanding the batsman take a lot more risk than easy singles either side of the wicket would be.
There will probably be adjustments from both sides. I hadn't seen bazball before and noticed the number of singles the batsmen were willing to take. While England want to score at that clip oppositions may as well force them to make the choice of less risk for less biff.

Spark

Global Moderator
If there is one thing Australia must guard against , it's complacency against Ollie Robinson..Sure he says the daftest things at times but he's a quality bowler and not some run of the mill dibbly dobbler as he's being made out to be in the Australian media , I mean by all accounts the Edgbaston pitch was pretty flat , he still got 5/98 in the match ..Lot of exaggeration about his lack of pace , he's on a similar speed to what Pollock and McGrath was towards the back end of their careers and they still took clumps of wickets everywhere..
A lot of that was tailbashing though.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
this is the motte and bailey you're running here. you started with:

and now you've moved to clearly acknowledging that no they didn't go away from their plans, they stuck to their plan it's just you think it's a bad one:

but over and above this, literally the only reason we're doing this dumb "spooked" analysis is because bazball is BIG DlCK ALPHADOGG CRICKET whereas putting the boundary riders out on ball one is WEENIE HUT MEGA LOSER CRICKET, when clearly there's some evidence that perhaps the bleed em out attritional response to this new style that australia started with on day one and continued with through the match worked in their favour! winning is the most important thing
I understand you wanna lawyer someone hard, but no matter how good a lawyer you are, you are not gonna prove a lie to be a fact.

I think Aussies went away from their game plan which is to bowl attacking line and length and have fielders catching because of being spooked by Bazball. Its really that simple. You can type another 1000 words but you are still accusing me of something I did not do.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I don't think Australia were spooked on the 1st morning. They knew what was coming and had prepared well for it.

The 1st morning of an Ashes series is pretty pressured and I think England's batsmen dealt with that better than Australia's bowlers.

Once the Aussies settled into the day, they bowled alot better.

chunksafc

U19 12th Man
I don't think Australia were spooked on the 1st morning. They knew what was coming and had prepared well for it.

The 1st morning of an Ashes series is pretty pressured and I think England's batsmen dealt with that better than Australia's bowlers.

Once the Aussies settled into the day, they bowled alot better.
I'd say your spot on there. The Aussies know what was coming and set fields to counter act it.
To me that's good preparation and tactics not a sign of being spooked

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
A lot of that was tailbashing though.
His wickets were :

Khawaja
Cummins
Lyon
Warner
Green

3/5 bat in the top 6 , plus what is so good about Robinson is that even when he's not picking wickets he keeps it tight , that is the key to having a good bowling average in Tests ..
Robinson is on track to take 100 test wickets at under 25 ..

Spark

Global Moderator
His wickets were :

Khawaja
Cummins
Lyon
Warner
Green

3/5 bat in the top 6 , plus what is so good about Robinson is that even when he's not picking wickets he keeps it tight , that is the key to having a good bowling average in Tests ..
Robinson is on track to take 100 test wickets at under 25 ..
Right but Khawaja was wicket #8 of the innings. Don't get me wrong, they're good figures, but no one actually watching this game thought he was the standout bowler. Broad was significantly better IMO.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Robinson is the sort of player who winds the opposition up - he's pretty much overtaken Broad as the Aussies public enemy number 1.😆

I didn't think he was at his best in the 1st test and his figures flattered him a touch.

But he's a very good bowler - his stats show that and if he keeps fit, he'll cause plenty of damage as the series progresses.

FBU

International Debutant
Robinson is the sort of player who winds the opposition up - he's pretty much overtaken Broad as the Aussies public enemy number 1.😆

I didn't think he was at his best in the 1st test and his figures flattered him a touch.

But he's a very good bowler - his stats show that and if he keeps fit, he'll cause plenty of damage as the series progresses.
Points the bowlers went up in the rankings since their last Test

Lyon +22
Stokes +22
Broad +21
Robinson +17
Cummins -5
Green -6
Anderson -30
Hazelwood -39
Boland -57

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Right but Khawaja was wicket #8 of the innings. Don't get me wrong, they're good figures, but no one actually watching this game thought he was the standout bowler. Broad was significantly better IMO.
Yep but those who actually read my post would have realised I didn't say he was the standout bowler , just pointing out he's quality .. And it's a cracking trait to have as a bowler that you pick up wickets even when you're not on your best .

the big bambino

International Captain
I liked Robinson's bowling when he was in Australia and I don't think his lack of pace is a problem. He's about the same speed as many successful bowlers like Philander, Asif, Wagner, Fraser, Alderman, Abbas and Tremlett. Also Pollock as mentioned earlier and maybe Paul Reiffel if not McGrath.