• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well all Australia need to do is the rope a dope tactic that worked so well at Edgbaston. Hang in there and wait for Stokes and England to mess up. Given we are already needlessly behind he will get more erratic/desperate with his decision making and gift the series to Australia.

Cummins doesn't even need to be a good captain, just capitalise on the Stokes errors.

Spark

Global Moderator
Well all Australia need to do is the rope a dope tactic that worked so well at Edgbaston. Hang in there and wait for Stokes and England to mess up. Given we are already needlessly behind he will get more erratic/desperate with his decision making and gift the series to Australia.

Cummins doesn't even need to be a good captain, just capitalise on the Stokes errors.
I mean it worked in this game but I'd be pretty disappointed if the takeaway was that everything they did worked, nothing to see here, no room for tactical improvement. Some of the tactics to the tail in particular drove me absolutely spare, and I continue to believe that defensive bowling is much easier when you only need to defend one side of the wicket.

Gob

International Coach
Ideal defensive bowling is have deep cover and third man in place and make them drive. Yes give the single away but in the end you make them play 3 or 4 drives to score the same amount of runs they otherwise score in a single delivery. More drives more opportunities

You need to have the catching men in place to grab the opportunities with Australia didn't have.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Serious gonads this England side has. Rehan has not even been playing that well in domestic cricket as far as I can see? Interested to hear the thoughts of closer observers.

halba

International 12th Man
Serious gonads this England side has. Rehan has not even been playing that well in domestic cricket as far as I can see? Interested to hear the thoughts of closer observers.
He's bang average. As we saw in 1st test Moeen is their best spinner when fully fit, and if those wicketkeeper chances were taken

halba

International 12th Man
He certainly struggled at Edgbaston but has been good for us in his brief career so far. plus he's done well on a road for a home ground in the Shield. England have put a target on him though. Would still want him at Lords if that wicket offers sideways.
Starc over Boland for lords.

Molehill

International Captain
He's bang average. As we saw in 1st test Moeen is their best spinner when fully fit, and if those wicketkeeper chances were taken
I mean he's 18 and took 7 wickets including 5-48 in his only Test. He turned the Pakistani 2nd innings when removing two well set batsmen including Babar.

He's been bowling on County pitches which have really been offering nothing for any spinners. He's your typical young leg spinner, he'll bowl some utter trash, but he'll throw in some crackers too. I'd pick him ahead of Jacks.

mustardcharlie

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mate I've been on here for about 6 months and you learn to take all the flack England get in your stride - i mean everyone hates us - no idea why 😆

Every now and then I find it cathartic (to the Aussies on here - that means it makes me feel better ) to play them at their own game.

In the words of Corporal Jones from Dads Army 'They don't like it up em' 😆
The average English pessimist thinks more along the lines of Private Wassisname in the same series "We're doomed":(
Bayonet charges into machine gun fire were fun. Especially if you had the machine gun, :D

What do England need to do to win the next one?

1. When using feet to spinner make sure to get something on the ball
2. Keep the ball on the floor or hit it where there are no fielders
3. When using feet to spinner make sure to get something on the ball

Technically speaking I realize points 1 and 3 are the same. but I thought it was worth mentioning twice. Good players of spin and know that. No umpire in the world is going to give you out lbw, even if you kick the ball away.

Actually felt they batted poorly, especially in the second innings

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
I mean he's 18 and took 7 wickets including 5-48 in his only Test. He turned the Pakistani 2nd innings when removing two well set batsmen including Babar.

He's been bowling on County pitches which have really been offering nothing for any spinners. He's your typical young leg spinner, he'll bowl some utter trash, but he'll throw in some crackers too. I'd pick him ahead of Jacks.
Hope he goes better than Mason Crane did , poor lad got 1/193 against the Aussies and was never picked again.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
The average English pessimist thinks more along the lines of Private Wassisname in the same series "We're doomed":(
Bayonet charges into machine gun fire were fun. Especially if you had the machine gun, :D

What do England need to do to win the next one?

1. When using feet to spinner make sure to get something on the ball
2. Keep the ball on the floor or hit it where there are no fielders
3. When using feet to spinner make sure to get something on the ball

Technically speaking I realize points 1 and 3 are the same. but I thought it was worth mentioning twice. Good players of spin and know that. No umpire in the world is going to give you out lbw, even if you kick the ball away.

Actually felt they batted poorly, especially in the second innings
Good point about using your feet to spinners, we had 3 out stumped which is ridiculous.

Don't want to be a pedant mate but 'we're doomed' was Frazer's catchphrase and he was Scottish 😀

Molehill

International Captain
Hope he goes better than Mason Crane did , poor lad got 1/193 against the Aussies and was never picked again.
I mean he should never have been picked in the first place. I think Rehan has a bit more about him than Crane, not least the fact he can bat too.