• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

tony p

State Regular
Can’t believe that Jacks has been put on standby for Ali if his finger had not healed.One trundler who can bat for another what hasDawson done to not be considered.A better bowler than both and he is no slouch with the bat.Stokes winning again with his slogger theory
Excellent, more easy runs to be had, Jacks, 22-1-135-1 sounds good to me.

Anthony Clayden

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I like Ponting but he's talking bollocks about Robinson.

He's had an outstanding start to his test career and performed decently in the first test, so I'd say he backed up his talking with his skills.

I'm not Robinsons biggest fan with his sending Khawaja off like he did and he probably is a bit of a knobhead, but he is allowed to say stuff in the media.

Also the way Ponting is talking, you'd think the Aussies hammered us. This was a game we should have won so instead of worrying about Robinson, he'd be better off concentrating on some of his sides problems.
England was at home, with the best of the conditions, with a not well prepared opposition.
Australia has already thrown into doubt England's spinner, we have put heavy workload on their bowlers whilst leaving our far less loaded. This in a packed 5 test series with small breaks between games.

As an Australian support, please bring Robinson to Australia in the next Ashes tour.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
England was at home, with the best of the conditions, with a not well prepared opposition.
Australia has already thrown into doubt England's spinner, we have put heavy workload on their bowlers whilst leaving our far less loaded. This in a packed 5 test series with small breaks between games.

As an Australian support, please bring Robinson to Australia in the next Ashes tour.
I wouldn't say Australia weren't prepared - you'd had a high intensity test with India and lots of your players had played county cricket.

Robinson is a really good bowler, he's probably a bit of knob - if he's fit he'll be on the Ashes tour.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
England are without their number 1 spinner, wonder how Aussies would have gone without Lyon?

It's also worth pointing out that most of the best performers in that Test (Cummins, Lyon, Khawaja, Root) had played the least amount of recent cricket.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England are without their number 1 spinner, wonder how Aussies would have gone without Lyon?

It's also worth pointing out that most of the best performers in that Test (Cummins, Lyon, Khawaja, Root) had played the least amount of recent cricket.
We’d have brought Murphy in and he’d probably have taken as many wickets but for less runs. It’s not Australia’s fault England has neglected developing spinners. In fact, good on them for not developing fingers spinners, they’re a blight on the game

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
We’d have brought Murphy in and he’d probably have taken as many wickets but for less runs. It’s not Australia’s fault England has neglected developing spinners. In fact, good on them for not developing fingers spinners, they’re a blight on the game
I saw a chart recently showing the percentage of wickets taken in County Cricket by spinners dating back to the 1970's. You can imagine what direction that line takes and it's got steeper in the last decade.

England really need Rehan Ahmed to develop into a decent spinner over the next 5 years because **** knows who else could be considered.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Look I think we blew this match spectacularly, but saying Oz was underprepared is the biggest load of bull**** in here, they have had some of their best bats in County cricket for a month and had just played a massive high quality match beforehand.
Exactly. England were more like the tourists. Root, pope, stokes, had played zero red ball cricket for over 10 months

england do have a tendancy to improve as a English summer goes on, they did it last summer by example

australia smith and labuschagne had played county cricket, and the final, which the above three haven’t

that was really their second test of the summer and they were pushed to the limit to get over the line

I know the majority are supporting anyone but England but they need to be careful as they will improve for that run out

this is far from over

i know what’s coming , ah but labuschagne and smith didn’t contribute and so on. Let’s wait and see

CartyDurham

International Captain
I saw a chart recently showing the percentage of wickets taken in County Cricket by spinners dating back to the 1970's. You can imagine what direction that line takes and it's got steeper in the last decade.

England really need Rehan Ahmed to develop into a decent spinner over the next 5 years because **** knows who else could be considered.
As I keep saying Test match cricket is in trouble in England. The youth do not care a jot about it and they love white ball

bazball is attempting to get more youth into the game in England . Using phrases and buzzwords is what that is about

Shady Slim

International Coach

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Exactly. England were more like the tourists. Root, pope, stokes, had played zero red ball cricket for over 10 months

england do have a tendancy to improve as a English summer goes on, they did it last summer by example

australia smith and labuschagne had played county cricket, and the final, which the above three haven’t

that was really their second test of the summer and they were pushed to the limit to get over the line

I know the majority are supporting anyone but England but they need to be careful as they will improve for that run out

this is far from over

i know what’s coming , ah but labuschagne and smith didn’t contribute and so on. Let’s wait and see
People are ignoring the obvious

The one thing that doesn’t look like improving is Stokes’ knee and it has left the attack completely unbalanced as his absence is increasing the workload on others exponentially

England will not win a war of attrition and that’s what Australia will make it into on flat decks

Qlder

International Debutant
Not true!
All 3 were on the NZ tour finishing 28 Feb and all 3 played in the Ireland Test just before the Ashes

If they hadn't played for 10 months they would have missed 9 of the 13 Bazball tests 😀

Last edited:

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Cheers for posting without the paywall.

The article makes some good points about the Aussies preparation- I'm sure they had spent alot of time looking at how to counter our approach - I wouldn't expect anything less.

What I would say is that the tone of the article implies that this was some sort of expertly planned and executed win.

It was a very close game and for large parts of it we looked the more likely winner. Even on the last day, it wasn't until the Aussies got to single figures that the game looked done.

I don't think Australia dealt with our approach particularly well. Our run rate was always well above the norm for test matches and most of our batsmen scored quickly and freely.

The Cummins/Lyon partnership was exceptional - 👏 and in the end it was the deciding factor but the game could have gone either way.

Also I think the session that we batted under dark skies was massive. We lost 2 wickets and it was the only time in the game were batting looked tough.

We were unlucky that we were batting at that time and that we happened to be up against the new ball. I think this an overlooked factor in the game - and no amount of planning can take that into account.

The bottom line is you won the test but its over egging the pudding to say it was some sort of masterclass of planning and that you tamed Bazball.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Not true!
All 3 were on the NZ tour finishing 28 Feb and all 3 played in the Ireland Test just before the Ashes

If they hadn't played for 10 months they would have missed 9 of the 13 Bazball tests 😀
mr pedantic I see
i accept that however the point is still relevant. They have had no red ball cricket this English summer.

that’s a fact whereas the Aussies have in county cricket and a test v India

bit of nuance needed I feel .

Ill learn everything has to be literal on here