• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

shortpitched713

International Captain
After doing a bit of homework, it looks like England became the 5th team in test cricket history to declare an innings on day one.
Given none of those teams won the match, early signs point to this tactic being none too wise.
Do you know when those were? Wouldn't have as much relevance if it was a bunch of pre WWI captains doing that.

It feels like its almost unprecendented in modern Test cricket.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Should declarations only be allowed in a second innings onwards, in a test match

may stop people hyperventilating

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd say Woakes and Wood for Moeen and Anderson for us and Starc for Hazlewood for Aussies. Stokes won't need to bowl then and spinners rarely do anything at Lords so gives Moeen a week to rest finger injury. As for Hazlewood I always thought he'd only play 1,3 and 5 if fit for them.

Will miss days 3 and 4 as I am at a festival all of 20 minutes away from home. Can't wait to see Cast on Saturday night.

Last edited:

CartyDurham

International Captain
Excellent question. What are your thoughts on why Stokes went ultra-defensive and didn't declare at all in the 2nd innings?
Ultra defensive. Come on now I know you are trying to be funny saying that

nice post though

CartyDurham

International Captain
It's a serious question, he disappointed an entire nation and even a lot of neutral fans when he avoided the declaration there, very poor form I thought...
:laugh: Nice try It’s a good point but I know what’s going here

shortpitched713

International Captain
1949, 1974, 2013, 2016
But yeah you're right, the relevance is quite small.
Honestly, most of this is "modern" cricket for mine, with the exception of 49, and possibly 74.

Basically, you have to be an absolute madlad to try this stuff, that even the captains of pre modern Test cricket didn't even try! :laugh:

CartyDurham

International Captain
Stokes should have got Derek Underwood out of retirement as the spin option.

"Ben is the only England captain I would do this for" said Deadly Derek. "...and possibly Mike Brearley. Not Tony Greig though cos he's...well, you know".
Dom Bess ;) And he can bat

mustardcharlie

School Boy/Girl Captain
Stokes should have got Derek Underwood out of retirement as the spin option.

"Ben is the only England captain I would do this for" said Deadly Derek. "...and possibly Mike Brearley. Not Tony Greig though cos he's...well, you know".
Hi Aidan, What does it feel like to be U19 again. Kindly stop using profanities such as T*** G***g on here. What about Swanny? Please not Dawson or I shall dig out the service revolver a bottle of whisky and find a closed room. Life would have no meaning

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Hi Aidan, What does it feel like to be U19 again. Kindly stop using profanities such as T*** G***g on here. What about Swanny? Please not Dawson or I shall dig out the service revolver a bottle of whisky and find a closed room. Life would have no meaning
Evening MC. Hope you are well. I drifted over here after C24/7 passed away after a short illness.

Regarding out spin options it's at times like this you realise that the cupboard is bare.

Rehan Ahmed could eventually be our answer but I feel he's not ready yet for the heated battle of the Ashes.

chunksafc

U19 12th Man
Reading the comments on the BBC app from McCullum, Ali IF fit will play, Barstow is a shoe in, so the only change might be Wood coming in