• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

CartyDurham

International Captain
If they had done that they wouldn't have had to bat as long in the second innings. You know that all else being equal they would have gotten a massive first innings lead in that case right?

In fact they almost certainly have more time to bowl Australia out because they can go absolutely bonkers in the 3rd innings with zero regard for their wicket at all. If they start out with a first innings lead of, say, 150, then Stokes would quite happily tell his batsmen that they have a session to put on 250 and go for their lives. In that case the 30 plus overs they save in the second innings compensates more than enough for the time they spent batting in the first.

Also this consistent line of posting you've made with the bolded is intellectually dishonest. It's not that hard to be consistent about these things if you aren't completely a slave to outcomes and can analyse things honestly according to the information available at the time. Just as the fact that there's been a result doesn't change my view that the pitch was ****house, nor would have a different result changed the vast majority of people's views here that the declaration sucked. Sometimes you just get lucky, sometimes other factors outweigh the error.
Spark. I know all of this and I’ve posted several times I totally accept

I’m also allowed to say that chances were not taken, that did happen and then to say if they had been taken , the result could have been very different

why can no one understand that and accept that ?

Molehill

International Captain
Both teams made mistakes which most likely cancelled each other out.
The other key moment for me was the 5 mins when Carey was dropped by Bairstow off Root and then the Broad no ball. If those 2 go down Aus are 270-7 and probably looking at a 100 run deficit.

I've not done the numbers, but I suspect the England drops cost quite a few more. Brook was dropped by Head, but shortly after managed to get bowled off thigh and back!! But **** like this happens and it's not worth moaning over, stupid declarations are!!

CartyDurham

International Captain
Carty, Australia has screwed up many a time so I would have complained long before now even if England won.
Cheers. That’s all here. Everyone is 1000000% correct about the declaration and I’m in that group

all my points are about England blowing so many chances, that if half were taken, the declaration would have been irrelevant

that’s all I’ve been saying but it’s brought me a whole heap of quotes and name calling

I did love the “intellectually dishonest” line

that tickled me

Socerer 01

International Captain
Cheers. That’s all here. Everyone is 1000000% correct about the declaration and I’m in that group

all my points are about England blowing so many chances, that if half were taken, the declaration would have been irrelevant

that’s all I’ve been saying but it’s brought me a whole heap of quotes and name calling

I did love the “intellectually dishonest” line

that tickled me
no it hasn't, you're the one doing that

CartyDurham

International Captain
The other key moment for me was the 5 mins when Carey was dropped by Bairstow off Root and then the Broad no ball. If those 2 go down Aus are 270-7 and probably looking at a 100 run deficit.

I've not done the numbers, but I suspect the England drops cost quite a few more. Brook was dropped by Head, but shortly after managed to get bowled off thigh and back!! But **** like this happens and it's not worth moaning over, stupid declarations are!!
And I’m all with you on the declaration. But it appears to be missed and the rest ignored

CartyDurham

International Captain
Right please I 1000000% agree the declaration was proved to be wrong

that’s clear but it’s also clear to accept England made and dropped chances and in another game they may have been taken and England would be 1-0

is that fair ?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Right please I 1000000% agree the declaration was proved to be wrong

that’s clear but it’s also clear to accept England made and dropped chances and in another game they may have been taken and England would be 1-0

is that fair ?
Yes

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't get why everyone thinks the declaration cost England so much. A) the game plays out completely differently if England don't declare. If everything goes the sane and England don't declare, then England miss the 30 runs they got from the openers in the 3rd dig before we got taken off for rain. Now the openers have to start there innings on zilch vs a new rock under the same conditions.

In those conditions with a 10 over old ball and momentum back in their corner England lost two wickets. If you give Cummins and co a shiny, brand new rock there England could easily end up 3 or 4 down for **** all instead of 2/40 at the end of the day.

You wanna know what was completely within the managments control and cost them 140 runs, bare minimum? Picking a half assed keeper who dropped 2 catches and missed a stumping in the 1st dig, abd dropped usman on 1 in the 2nd dig. They picked bairstow over foakes because bairstow is one of their best bats and they deemed him better, but they easily could have dropped Crawley, who's one of the worst openers to get as many innings as he has in the 150 year history of the sport, and played both foakes and bairstow.

All that said, we don't know what would happen if Crawley doesn't play and England shuffle their batting lineup. England are 10--3 under bazball, and two of those losses are a 2 wicket loss to the best side in the world while down a bowler, and a 1 run lost that England would have won/tied had the umpires not incorrectly called an obvious wide.