• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team is currently the best, in 2023?

Test format ofc: top team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Slifer

International Captain
Yeah I don't think Australia are as good as India were before their middle order fell away but a combination of that decline and Head and Khawaja improving Australia's batting means Australia are the best right now IMO.

I'll still think that even if they go onto to lose this series unless they get absolutely pounded 4-1 or something.
And they won this test without major contributions from their two premier batsmen. I know it's one test but still..

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Even without the results of the remaining tests, I'll give the mantle to Australia. Competitive in India and Sri Lanka, winners in Pakistan, would crush all at home except India. They're more competitive in England than England could dream to be down under, and Australia start off as heavy favorites away to all the other teams RSA maybe excepted....
How could it be Australia when they are only "competitive" in India yet didn't beat India at home

subshakerz

International Coach
Even without the results of the remaining tests, I'll give the mantle to Australia. Competitive in India and Sri Lanka, winners in Pakistan, would crush all at home except India. They're more competitive in England than England could dream to be down under, and Australia start off as heavy favorites away to all the other teams RSA maybe excepted....
Premature. If England win this series and then do better than Australia in India, they have a better case.

If Australia win this Ashes, they are definitely best. Anything less and it is still open.

subshakerz

International Coach
How could it be Australia when they are only "competitive" in India yet didn't beat India at home
Have little doubt that Cummins team would beat a full strength India in Australia. The previous series in Australia was a freak result and Australia since Cummins have been a better team than under Paine.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia are the best right now, but I think if all sides are fully fit and have everyone available India are still better.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Current team is alot better, tbf. We've got a competent keeper, an opener averaging 70 instead of wade cosplaying as an opener, a functional middle order and 5 genuine front-line bowling options. Plus we've got boland now, so I doubt starc plays 4 straight and ****s up.

Slifer

International Captain
They literally beat India in the Test finals. Conditions favored Australia's brand of cricket as i said in an earlier post but the results are what they are. Plus now, Australia seem to have at least one solid opener, a strong middle order and the best bowling attack. And this is without their middle order firing on all cylinders. Even if Pant and Bumrah back, India's batting is still inferior to Australia's and the bowling is a toss up.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Pant is our Brian Lara who can keep. If he is fit, no team is really safe from losing tests to his individual brilliance regardless of conditions.

subshakerz

International Coach
Pant is our Brian Lara who can keep. If he is fit, no team is really safe from losing tests to his individual brilliance regardless of conditions.
Except as shown last year, Pant fired in SA and England and India still lost.

subshakerz

International Coach
Current team is alot better, tbf. We've got a competent keeper, an opener averaging 70 instead of wade cosplaying as an opener, a functional middle order and 5 genuine front-line bowling options. Plus we've got boland now, so I doubt starc plays 4 straight and ****s up.
This. Australia under Cummins are a much better side than under Paine and on paper at least are the best of the three teams man to man. India still don't have a functioning middle order. Kohli looks to be back but will wait to see.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
I don't know how this win proves that Australia is the best now given that if England weren't horrible on the field on Day 5 they would have won.

Spark

Global Moderator
If Australia weren't horrible in the field on the 3rd day of the 2nd test vs India they beat India 2-1 at home :)
Or if they didn't completely lose their minds the following morning.

God that still stings. But yeah getting Axar and Ashwin out cheaply the night before makes that moot.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Or if they didn't completely lose their minds the following morning.

God that still stings. But yeah getting Axar and Ashwin out cheaply the night before makes that moot.
Completely forgot we dropped 2-3 chances in that partnership. Frustrating to remember.

Xix2565

International Regular
That sort of assumes Australia actually win 2 Tests in India, which was hardly a given even with the game to game improvement lol. As wishful as hoping for Kohli to stop fishing for balls.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
That sort of assumes Australia actually win 2 Tests in India, which was hardly a given even with the game to game improvement lol. As wishful as hoping for Kohli to stop fishing for balls.
They won the third test, and had india 7-130 with a 130 run lead first innings lead before dropping a ton of catches and letting india get to par. They then lost 9-40 playing terrible cricket at the start of day 3 after being 1-70 at the end of day 2. We had multiple chances to set india a 200+ target on a sandpit.

FYI, My initial reply was meant to be a jab at the thought that because AUS COULD have lost the 1st test it suddenly changes whose the best team. We lost that test in India and the series, no changing that.

subshakerz

International Coach
If Australia weren't horrible in the field on the 3rd day of the 2nd test vs India they beat India 2-1 at home :)
No Australia legit couldn't handle the pressure in the second test.

However, India cowardly prepared a draw test pitch in the final test after being spooked by Australia in the third test so IMO Australia were looking good to draw the series.