• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In completely irrelevant news, I have a bloody HIIT class booked for 6:10am and it’s going to be a cast iron bitch getting up for it

Spark

Global Moderator
I know he timed it fine but that front foot prod from Green just doesn't look right.
Yeah it feels like his back foot goes back towards square leg at the point of contact for some reason. It's subtle but it's definitely there, whatever it is.

EDIT: Having said that I think that just might be his technique, because in Ahmedebad he was doing the same thing and his driving was a feature there. Still, I'd be throwing in plenty of wide sucker balls if I'm England.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah it feels like his back foot goes back towards square leg at the point of contact for some reason. It's subtle but it's definitely there, whatever it is.
That and for some reason on a lot of balls on off/marginally outside off, his stride is straight down the middle of the pitch when it should be going across. Ends up playing loosely with his hands.

Spark

Global Moderator
That and for some reason on a lot of balls on off/marginally outside off, his stride is straight down the middle of the pitch when it should be going across. Ends up playing loosely with his hands.
It's pretty clear that his sheer reach was able to compensate for a lot of that at lower levels simply because he could drive balls on the half volley which would be good length to most others. Whether it's a deficiency that costs him at Test level or if he can fix it (if it matters at all), I guess we'll see. It's probably not an accident that he's looked much better with the bat in the subcontinent than in Australia so far.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Green should feel free to plonk Moeen into whatever counts as the local river soon

He’s got so much power that hitting the ball over the bowler’s head is less risky than giving him too much respect

Spark

Global Moderator
Green should feel free to plonk Moeen into whatever counts as the local river soon

He’s got so much power that hitting the ball over the bowler’s head is less risky than giving him too much respect
Why? There's no real rush here and Moeen will bowl enough filth occasionally that there's no need to force the issue.